Sunday, June 12, 2011

eating out

This past winter was hell. But tonight it's June, and I got my chubby soul through the worst snow dump in a decade, through lambing, through a dead transmission, and a hells bells, I even de-wormed a pony today. A girl deserves to eat out!

Tonight I did go out, exactly 50 feet from my kitchen window. (I didn't feel like driving or paying someone for food.) Tonight's menu: CAF-raised accidental cornish hen with new potatoes, lettuce, and snap peas from the garden. Bird was defrosted yesterday, potatoes dug up from the raised bed at noon, and those greens picked and rinsed right before show time.

Next up: Pretty Saro will be fiddled to the fireflies. My favorite old time tune. I still sing it every time I walk Jazz and Annie through the woods. I have for years.

13 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

After working in the yard all day seeing this picture made me aware of how hungry I was :) Enjoy!

June 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM  
OpenID sissyjane said...

Everything looks wonderful Jenna! Our winter was hell on the west coast as well! I'm so glad it's over, and we can spend our days in the garden!

June 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Delicious!!

June 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

I made your brined roasted chicken for a social occasion friday night dinner and it was AMAZING! Everyone loved it.

June 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hoo-eee that looks good! Beats my crappy dinner all hollow...

June 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Life is good, huh Jenna? ;0)

June 13, 2011 at 5:41 AM  
Blogger becky3086 said...

Definitely a good looking dinner.

June 13, 2011 at 5:55 AM  
Blogger mmgreenough said...

I like your style of eating out!!!! Looks delicious... can't wait for the day when I have an entirely home grown meal of my own!

June 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger Butts said...

I love that song too. Especially love the Iris Dement version.

June 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

Mighty fine looking meal Jenna.

June 13, 2011 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger candisrrt said...

It's is great to know where your food comes from? I have recently started a garden and am just amazed at how better I feel better knowing where the food comes from , and what is in the food I eat. Great dinner

June 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Melissa O'Mahony said...

Lovely!

June 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Campbell Kids said...

Looks delicious! Jenna, we started our "official" farm blog and you're in the blogroll there too. Check it out: http://www.campbellkidsfarm.com

I'll definitely keep My Southern Heart blog as well. Hope all is well with you!

Dianne

June 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home