Wednesday, May 18, 2011

pullet and hen


Blogger Casy Schweickart said...

It is amazing the difference isn't it? We have some bantam hens running around with our layers and Em calls them baby eggs when she finds them.

May 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Thisbeatishuge said...

What's that Sarah Palin book doing in that stack?

May 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I knew someone would all me on that! My mom mailed it to me. I told her I would read it if she read Garrison Kiellor's Homegrown Democrat. She did, and I will.

May 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...


May 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

This sounds stupid, but I had no idea that pullets and hens laid different sized eggs! Dumb now that I think about it... Thanks for the comparison, now when our chicks start laying I wont be concerned that they're laying mini-eggs LoL

May 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Nothing wrong with reading a Sarah Palin book. Whether you are left or right, Republican, Democrat or Independant we can always learn something new from anyone. It's the ability to be open minded that is important.

Grace and Peace,


May 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I feel the same way John, totally.

I'm a liberal who raises and kills her own animals for food, owns two guns, and drives a pickup truck.

I don't feel like the same liberal anymore...

May 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Just A Gal said...

That's so funny. I saw that book immediately and was about to say something, but it seems everyone beat me to it. Sorry John, no one can learn anything from Sarah Palin--except how to apply makeup.

May 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Don't be so sure. I bet she wouldn't have missed the turkey....

May 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger judy said...

you guys are hilarious,as of late I don.tif I am a dem. or a reb. or a lib.or something from a differant planet. there are no good jobs out there or there companies are to greedy to give out a decent wage I JUST KNOW MY SONS ARE GETTING PAID WHAT MY HUSBAND STARTED WITH -THAT WAS ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO MY DAUGHTER IS READY TO GO BACK TO THE HOMELESS SHELTER CUS I ALREADY HAVE 8 LIVING WITH ME. YOU GUYS TELL ME WHERE THE WORLD HAS GONE WRONG. I KNOW I'VE HAD IT-TOTALLY

May 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Can't wait until mine start laying! Finally got their coop done if you want to check out my blog, it was a long time coming. Ready for this rain to get lost so the garden can get growing. I'm gonna keep my comments on Sarah Palin to myself...but I will say reading other points of view is never a bad thing, even if you don't happen to agree with them. ~Vonnie, NH

May 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Kaehler said...

One of my hens started out laying bitty eggs like that, and they never got any bigger. She was bad-tempered too...needless to say, she isn't hanging around here anymore.

May 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Bri said...

noticed "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" cook book in the stack... LOVE that book, and he's kind of my hero. :) *highfive* to you.

May 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Judy, I'm not so sure the whole world went wrong, but I think the USA went wrong when we started to demand more and more crap at the cheapest price. Companies gave us just what we demanded, but they did it by ending job security and benefits in this country and moving manufacturing overseas. Now companies are addicted to cheap labor in every field and many of us are working McJobs.
I read a good chunk of Sarah's book. I found it full of distorted reality proudly told by woman who basks in her own ignorance and the naiveté of her audience.

May 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

too cute! reminds me of quail eggs, especially being speckled and all.

May 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Thisbeatishuge said...

Yeah, I just figured it had to be mentioned, even in in jest. I can't talk, as someone who has a copy of The Communist Manifesto on his bookshelf.

May 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

I too noticed Sarah Palin's book immediately in your piles and was surprised but I would also like to attempt to read it. It never hurts to know what the other side is thinking and I use the term thinking loosely.

May 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

It is so exciting finding that first "mini" egg in the fall! Makes it all worth it. Being able to take an egg, hatch it, watch it grow from this little puff to an animal that in turn gives you so much.

May 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The more I get into farming the less politics matter to me, and I mean that in a social sense. I care a lot about what goes into the Farm Bill, local law, and other social/agricultural legislation. But most of my friends now are conservative, and the ones who aren't, are moderate. I find myself not feeling a part of either side anymore.

May 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

Don't you just love their perfect little eggs? Great book stack, by the way.

May 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Quail's Hollar Farm said...

It's amazing the contrast between two eggs from the same species but different ages, ah how nice it must be to have chickens that are actually laying. Good luck to you and everything you're doing. I hope those eggs get better for you!

-Quail's Hollar Farm

May 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

To be honest, I don't think we can say that it ever went wrong because I don't think it's ever really been right. We live in luxury compared to most of the current world, and far better than almost everyone throughout history. The difference is our attitude. There is a general rip current of 'looking out for me' through our society that is slowly shredding the fabric of decency in our society. The best we can do is be honest with ourselves about our own failings in that regard and try to make what tiny repairs that we can.

In the mean time, i'm going to watch The Year of the Working Sheepdog DVD. :-)

May 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

What kind of chicken is the pullet?

May 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger Teresa H. @ Oak Tree Farm said...

To Natalie: A pullet is a term for a young chicken (past the chick stage) and coming into maturity (think human teenager as an equivalent).
When a pullet first begins to lay eggs, the eggs are usually quite small (and precious, I think). Sometimes they will only have albumen appearing in them or with a very small yolk. In the vast majority of cases (not like Lisa K's example), as the hen continues to grow/lay eggs, the eggs get larger until they reach the normal size for the breed of hen. Of course, there are always some exceptions, but this is the usual progression for most laying hens.

May 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...


And I have that same DVD, and it is wonderful. Windcutter Down = love.

May 19, 2011 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Love those mini-eggs! They never get old for me, and I love running down the yard, stupid grin on my face waving them at my husband "LOOOOOKEEEEE!"

As an aside, I see you DON'T have Whittingstall's River Cottage Cookbook or Meat Book which is very sad because they're both amazing. The photography is top notch and the recipes are mostly British and I highly recommend them both.

May 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Allie, every counter, coffee table, and shelf is packed with books in my house! The MEAT book is on the kitchen book shelf, this is just table clutter! I don't have the other one though.

May 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

@ Kyler and Sylvia,

AMEN to all you said. I wholeheartedly agree...well said.
~Vonnie, NH

May 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Now if you'd had another big egg in the photo, you'd have a promo for a new sitcom about chickens " 2 1/2 Eggs".

May 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

As an adult I have always been interested in politics, but the past few years I have felt completely left out. It seems to me that politicians and most Americans are to busy defending their labels (liberal or conservative) and spewing rhetoric to actually sit down together as democrats and republicans and get some work down. Having different philosophies and ideas is good, it brings balance, but now it seems in our world of red and blue states we have lost touch that we are one nation.

May 19, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Tarheelbilly said...

As a gun owning, food growing, dreadlock wearing, banjo playing, progressive African-American female, I think that we would all benefit from laying down our assumptions and listening to each other more. We've all become reduced to focus groups and voting blocks, and there are millions of us out there who defy these groups. Kudos to you Jenna for creating this forum where we can all defy the mores of "popular culture" and simply be ourselves. Our chicken-loving, dirt hugging selves!

May 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Right on Tarheelbilly...
I'm wondering how long it takes for a pullet to start laying the big one's (grow up). Have experience with a lot of critters, but not chickens and I’m interested in getting a few to start with—but as you can see I have a lot of learning to do! That's how I stubble onto you all.

May 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger John Taylor said...


I have to agree with your last comment. The more I get into farming and self-sufficency the less politics matters. I was a republican for many years and now am more like a Libertarian, but I don't believe in being devisive because its just not good for the soul. Part of what we do is for the peace and love we receive from it and that is just not conducive with posioned political retoric.

Grace and Peace,


May 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Lara Katherine Mountain Colley said...

I just love getting those first little eggs!

May 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger bairdlet said...

Sarah Palin? Really, Jenna?

...just read through the comments. Not sure if that was a fair trade you made with your mother. Just sayin'.

May 30, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home