Friday, May 6, 2011

full day ahead

Friday, May 6th
No sore rump this morning. The Benadryl did the job, and I was glad for it. A Friday morning without a puffy ass is reason enough to celebrate. Another reason to celebrate: the rain stopped. It started Tuesday night, went all through Wednesday, and pelted into Thursday as well. But Today, glorious sun. 68 degrees by noon, one can hardly believe it.

Gibson and I cut out of work early to go to the vet. He's been limping, and while I knew the only thing the vet would do for him is tell me to slow down his physical exercise and watch the arm, I went anyway. I can cough up fifty dollars for a professional opinion on what to do with a sports injury on my working dog. Mostly, I was worried it was his hips and not some torn muscle. He's always been a little cow hocked and he runs a little wonky sometimes. So the doc looked him over and gave me some pain meds to use only if he is truly in bad shape. They are in the medicine cabinet, and Gibson is asleep in his crate.

My evening was an eventful one. My friend Wendy came by to meet Jasper, and to ride down to a book event in town. Our riding instructor, Hollie, was having a book launching party for her new English Riding book, and we went to enjoy the slideshow and snacks. Gibson stayed at home for this, and contemplated his shoulder while we ate pecans and basked in the effort of a woman's book. I bought a copy, and look forward to learning from it. Dressage is a secret dream of mine, something so non-pioneer, but so beautiful. Some girls get into ballet and boy bands...I want to wear a top hat on the back of a white horse some day and finally be graceful. Finally.

Getting up at 4AM to go turkey hunting. Me, my friend Steve, a 12-gauge, and good fortune. After that adventure I will be backing up for the farmer's market in Bennington (first outdoor market!) from 11-1PM and then back to the farm for a work party to expand the pasture. It'll be a full day, from 4-4 of constant motion and labor. I can't wait. I hope there's turkeys, wool, and electric currents involved. A girl's gotta dream.

20 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Glad your bunky is better! ;~))

May 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dressage is beautiful. For something less intimidating and do-able at any level consider Western Dressage.

I got to watch one of the masters at it and it is on my list of things to do.

May 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger KRA said...

Dressage is amazing. I learned as a teen and, as it happens, got back in the saddle for the first time in about 25 years today. I'm sore as hell but happy to report that once you learn it, you don't forget it. I "only" did it for about 4 years, so have lots more to learn. The beauty of it for me is that instant feedback you get from the horse, if you're doing it right the horse will do exactly as you want it to, and happily as well. Good luck with it, and be prepared to eat a lot of humble pie!

May 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I loved my time working on dressage. Though I've been a number of horses who were experts in their own fields, it was the dressage horses who clearly were teaching me as much as my instructor. I hope you get to explore it someday. Get some more miles, first! :)

May 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

You'll have to quit getting your backside stung if you want to do dressage...LOL Teasing. Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you, enjoy!

May 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Kitchen Mama said...

This is truly an important observation: "A Friday morning without a puffy ass is reason enough to celebrate." I mean, it puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Be grateful for the little things, I say.

Sounds like you have a full and exhausting day tomorrow--have a great time. Our farmer's market starts up this Saturday, too. I love seeing the same vendors year after year.

May 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm envious of your day planned. I always like a Saturday full of accomplishments. Good luck with your hunt and at the farmers market. Glad your bum is better, nothing worse than a pain in the ass ;)

May 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

Sure hope you got a turkey. I think wild turkey is some of the best eating ever. The easiest way to get them ready for cooking is to skin them and then soak in a brine at least overnight. If you get an old Tom, I would suggest freezing to make him more tender. A jake will oven cook just fine as long as you keep him moist. See, I am assuming you'll be successful.

May 7, 2011 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Basic dressage is within anyone's reach - collected and extended gaits, passage and half passage, turn on the hocks, turn on the forehand, etc - all not easy but attainable and they add so much to the enjoyment of the exercise and to the usefulness and responsiveness of your horse/pony. The riding school I went to as a kid offered dressage instruction to any kid who was interested and it was great!
You sound as though you have a busy and productive day lined up for yourself - enjoy it!

May 7, 2011 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

I might get some blood work on the boy if I were you- a test you can have done in the office, for Lyme disease. It's bad in our areas.

May 7, 2011 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger candisrrt said...

No sore butt....nice. Hope the turkey shoot goes well. Fun stuff.

May 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Glad you are feeling well, Jenna, have a great day. Our first farmer's market is next month. I'm alittle nervous. May you find much wool today.

May 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger shannonstoney said...

I hope you get a turkey, or at least see one.

May 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Skin him, brine him, rub him down, inside and out, with red pepper and salt and deep fry him in peanut oil.

Sometimes we do as many as five at Thanksgiving.

May 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Well that makes two of us who were up early to hunt turkey. Me - 3:45 a.m. I'm heading out again tonight.

May 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

I want to live next door to you. You're always having a working party. I would love to spend a day with physical labor, and then sit by a bonfire, put back a couple of your hard ciders, and talk shop. My chickens and small garden do not a farm make. It sounds crazy, but sometimes I wish I had more physical work to do around here.

May 7, 2011 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger CAREY said...

Dressage is alot of fun.

May 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger USMCmom said...

Hope you got your bird this morning. My son took a 20 pound tom with a 10 inch beard this morning. We usually just eat the breast; the dark meat on a wild bird is too tough. Our favorite is turkey tenders. How do you plan to do your bird?

May 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Leigh said...

Gracefull? Chiclet, you can shimmy up into a barn loft to toss down hay, wrangle it home, catch a chicken on the loose, waltz a sheep back into her pen, run with the hounds, weave between bees, jog with a pony, and swing dual careers... you're already poetry in motion.

May 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Once the dressage bug bites you, you never really get over it. My aha moment was accidentally doing piaffe... The little mare just melted like butter in my hands and it felt like riding a pillow That little mare had me converted long before that, though.
Sylvia

May 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home