Monday, May 23, 2011

chicks in the house!

The chicks for this weekend's workshop arrived this morning! All 45 are doing well, and spending their time with the three poults I bought at the feed store. They are from Mt. Healthy Hatchery from nearby Pennsylvania—Orpingtons, Reds, and Ameraucanas (just like in Chick Days). If you're coming this weekend and need directions, please email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com and I'll hook you up. And for those of you wondering how to get these guys home safe? A small box with wood shavings and a heat source will do the trick. A hot water bottle, a breakable heat pack from the drug store, or a plg-in heating pad should be fine. Just wrap it in a towel under the shavings and you created a pullet spa. If the ride is over three hours, have a small dish of feed and water and extra heat packets for the roadside stops. They'll do fine.,

Looking forward to this weekend, a lot. Starting Friday with the annual bee pickup and hive installation, Saturday is a trip an hour south to Sharon Springs to take a tour of Beekman 1802, Sunday is the chicken workshop, and Monday is a day of rest and gardening. It's officially the beginning of summer here at Cold Antler. I'm just waiting on the fireflies and wishing on pairs of crows.

14 Comments:

Blogger georgie said...

I was wondering if you were close to Beekman's/Sharon Springs.Sounds like a very fun weekend.

May 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Yes it does. I'd like to check out Beekman, but that's not likely from just outside of Portland, Oregon. So enjoy Beekman for me, too!

May 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Beekman's too, now I'm jealous-this is going to be a weekend, have fun!

May 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Casie said...

Enjoy your trip to Beekman! I just finished watching last season on the DVR.

May 24, 2011 at 7:37 AM  
OpenID sandhollerfarm said...

Wow, I'm so very out of touch with the world...I'd never heard of Beekman! :O I've now read all about it and am equally jealous!

Have you ever had trouble mixing poults with pullets? We've not gotten into turkeys but I keep seeing things about blackhead wiping out turkeys kept with chickens...

May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Jo.King said...

Oh, you're coming down to my neck of the woods! Are you going to the Beekman mansion? Their store in Sharon Springs is great. And I have to put in a plug for a friend's art gallery on the other side of Main Street - Village Hall Gallery. She's got really lovely things! Have fun.

May 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger bucolic beauty said...

Oh, fireflies! I so wish we had those beauties here in Oregon.

May 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Jamie Elfrank said...

Wow--I'm so jealous! I had the pleasure of meeting Josh and Brent during one of their book signings outside of Philly recently. Such great guys. Have a wonderful time on Saturday!

May 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger mandy_farmer said...

How ironic! I am reading "The Bucolic Plague" right now. It's great! Have a wonderful weekend!
Mandy
thefarmerscompound.blogspot.com

May 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger onesilentwinter said...

i have spent the last hour ( perhaps more) reading your blog. I met you at the bennington farmers market the first day it opened thid year, i even thought i had viisted your blog before but i had not.

Your blog and how you have grown your homestead is inspiring. I have recently moved to vermont on a hundred acre farm( well it is only a farm because i brought my animals with me) it feels so overwhelming at times but somehow i feel calmer coming here and reading, although at first i thought oh my how will iever get there. Reading what you wrote about endurance and building your way up was what i needed to hear.

i was tryingto find more info on your workshop is it too late.

May 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Have a great time at Sharon Springs, its on my list of places to visit. I think I would feel very comfortable there after meeting so many of the locals on the show. I'd love to see the Beekman farm as well, I've been following the series since the beginning.

May 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Brenda Hage said...

Hi Jenna,
Just received my Cold Antler mug and Maude t-shirt. They are awesome; very nice quality!! I enjoy your blog and usually start my day reading about the happenings on Cold Antler Farm. I'm getting ready for a shipment of backyard chicks from My Pet Chicken and I can't wait (3 Easter eggers, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Red Stars). With the help of your "Chick Days" book, I am ready to go!
Cheers,
Brenda

May 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

you post made me think of the first time I picked up chicks and I had Chris crank the heat in his Taurus to 80.
I was never so glad to live close to a post office.

May 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Colleen Mole said...

Lucky girl! I'd love to visit the Beekman! Tell us all about you visit and the Chick weekend!

May 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home