Monday, April 25, 2011

shearing movie coming up!

Shearing Day has become more than a chore, it's a holiday. An annual ritual I look forward to more and more each year. A few weekends ago all eight of my adult sheep (six ewes and two wethers) were penned and barbered here on the premises. It took two professional shearers, the landowner, and a willing photographer to both complete the task and document the entire event.

I've been starting and stopping a shearing post for the past week and every time I get into it, it turns into more of an essay on the agricultural holidays created through seasonal work. A heartfelt and beautiful topic, sure, but let's face it. You guys want to see some naked sheep. Don't you?

So, I decided to save the farm holiday post for a rainier spring day and show off some great photos with some fun music, a real visual essay of the day. I'll make a big music video slideshow, I'll get some banjo music from Julie Dugan's website (with her and Tim's permission, of course) and put the day to music. I would have done it tonight, but I messed up burning the DVD and came home with a blank disc. Let's hear it for me...

I'm better with dirt than I am with machines lately. I consider this a sign of progress!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

why did it take two shearers?

April 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

They just pair up to get through the task faster, it would only take one, but two of them got it all done in under an hour!

April 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Can't wait to see it! I watched "Sweetgrass" yesterday, so I'm totally in the sheep frame of mind. Bring it on. Oh, and a sign of progress for sure! :)

April 26, 2011 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

ROFL, where's the nekkid sheep? Are ya waiting on the photographer from "PlayEwe"? :-D

April 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Did they use hand shears? I admire the folks who can use the hand shear, that is a true art form. What are shearers charging in your area?

In oregon this year we paid $3 a head with no set up fee, and i had to force them to take a tip. The 2 men did 350 ewes in one day, but it was a very long day.

April 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

haha, i can totally relate. until college i didn't realize a CD-R was not a CD-RW...not a fun surprise when frantically trying to transfer data. i now swear by flash drives and the good old zip and email routine (usually both because i'm paranoid).

April 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

Hooray for agricultural holidays!

April 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

I can't wait for the movie!

April 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Leigh said...

Love the sheep, but I gotta say I'm really looking forward to the post on the celebrations. That's just what I was thinking about too when you started talking about shearing day. It's such a fascinating subject!

April 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home