Saturday, April 30, 2011

the hudson

Last night I was on my way to meet some friends for a party in Saratoga Springs when I hit a series of flashing lights and police lines outside a quiet village. I soon realized the crime, wasn't, but that the Hudson River was pretty angry. While this is in no way a comparison to what is happening in the South, here in the Upper Hudson Valley the entire town of Schuylerville (Skyler-Ville) was road-blocked because the river was taking it over. I'm not used to seeing police lines in Washington County, and when I saw the giant cement bridge over the Hudson lined with people and cameras I jogged up to see see what was happening. I saw a familiar face, Ben Shaw, my chicken processor with his wife walking fast to the bridge. I waved hello, jogged up, and asked them what was going on? They explained that deep snow in the Adirondaks had all melted too quickly and it was too much for this part of the river to take. See that picture? Whew.

As far as I know, only property was hurt. More here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chance said...

We're flooding here too in Burlington Vermont. Ferry isn't running, piers under water, whole streets/neighborhoods closed a little farther north under quite a bit of lake and snow melt water. I just heard your governor declared Plattsburg in a State of Emergency. More rain opn the way. ounting blessings today though, and not misfortunes. Fiddleheads are up!

April 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Chance said...

Well, that would be "counting blessings"..

April 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

So glad you made it through it safely.

April 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Amy McPherson Sirk said...

Glad you're okay and that no one was hurt. It's hard to believe the power of water until you see it firsthand. We have big flooding here in Southeast Missouri. The rivers (Ohio and Mississippi) aren't supposed to crest until sometime next week so we're all holding our breath. Nat'l Guard is everywhere. It's a comfort to know they're here and ready but I wish we didn't need them.

April 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

I was born in Plattsburg, and my Mom was raised there. I loved riding the Grand Isle & the Mt Mansfield ferries to Burlington, VT when I was little.

April 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hey, now you know what it's been like here w/ the Mississippi running amok! Fortunately we crested last week & it's on the way back down.

May 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

We had flooding like that just back of us. Some of our neighbours were isolated for a few days.

May 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Jeff_in_Pawlet said...

I really love your blog, seriously. Your life is what I wanted myself at your age but couldn't do myself.

Check out this link, you might like it:

http://thesaleh.blogspot.com/2010/07/lesson.html

May 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home