Thursday, April 28, 2011

caused pause.

It was around 5:30 this evening when I found myself walking around the backlot at Tractor Supply in Bennington. I was shopping for a new gate, and as I walked around the chain-linked yard comparing different styles and sizes I felt the sun break out from the clouds and scatter the playground of metal and wire with light. An industrial place, all cement and steel, turned into quite the site. It caused pause.

All day it had been a blustery, hot, wet world. At lunch me and few friends sat outside our first-floor glass doors that opened to the Orvis backyard and let our dogs play in the rain while we sat on desk chairs under the overhang. We talked about the same things most people in offices across America were talking about: the tornados in the south, the rising price of gas (well over 4.00 a gallon in New York), The spring Turkey Hunting Pool (which I am in), and our dogs. Gibson played with other hounds and ran the 1/4 mile down the hill to pond for a swim with Lucie the Golden Retriever. Cathy, a coworker, stepped outside on the cement slab and took in the scene of high winds, humid air, playing dogs, chatting people, and bending trees and said "I feel like we're in the Caribbean." Southwestern Vermont, actually. Common mistake.

But now that the rain and storms had passed, I found myself outside the office in a farm supply parking lot loading a 6 foot metal gate into the back of the Dodge. I had plans to pop right over to Home Depot afterwards and see if they had basil yet, which I wanted to smell and hold as much as I wanted to plant it. I was going to put in some more raised beds this weekend and I wanted some basil to be amongst them. The early seedlings of lettuce, peas, potatoes and carrots were already coming up and so far my bamboo and bird-netting frames were keeping out all sorts of critters and chickens. By the end of this weekend basil, tomatoes, and broc would be in the ground for certain and three new Silver Fox rabbits would be at the farm. A rare American breed of meat rabbit delivered here by a reader from Maine.

I have some very big news to share, but I'm not ready to share it just yet. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will post a photo that will make more than one of you smile, and some of you shake your heads. I'm excited to share the news with you first lot, and unfazed by the second. The more I fall in love with this farm, the less I seek the approval of others (but the more I value their advice).

Wind's picking up out there. I better close the door on the chicken coop and check on the barn rabbits and ol' Castro. No sign of goslings yet. I hope Saro manages to hatch a few. I feel like she's giving it her all. I hope any readers in the line of fire down in the south will reach out to us when you are able. I bet we could pass around the hat and help a few of you get upright. Or at least give it a shot. You're all in my thoughts tonight in Jackson.

30 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Beautiful post. I am having a rare moment of speechlessness because of it. Something in the tone really touched me. :)

April 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger LouisianaMom said...

Thats a cliff hanger!

April 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Can't wait to read the news. I bet I'll love it.
I was just reading about Silver Fox rabbits; they're beautiful.

April 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh what could it be??? I think I know!

April 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

hmmmm....I smell happy news! Warm thoughts and prayers for you. I am sure life will treat you well. Go for it : )

April 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Hi Jenna. I am alright after a horrible day here yesterday. It's so strange after a whole day of one tornado after another coming through that the day after is so beautiful. Right here in Chickamauga was not hit too hard but 20 miles North of me was devastated, Flintstone, Ga. Then 20 miles East of that in Ringgold, Ga, total devastation again. A whole town destroyed. To the west in Trenton, Ga, more destruction. And even on Lookout Mt, more. And Chattanooga, Cleveland....All day it went on. I am so glad that Wed. April 27th, 2011, is over. But will never be forgotten.

And now I am waiting on some really good news from you! Have a great weekend.

April 28, 2011 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Perdita said...

Did you get your pony????

April 29, 2011 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

I'm thinking a horse

April 29, 2011 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Anja said...

You got yourself a pony?

April 29, 2011 at 1:56 AM  
Blogger Little Terraced House said...

Whatever it is, as long as it makes you happy sweetheart that is the main thing. You have my blessing and good wishes whatever it is !!!!

Love and hugs Babs xx

April 29, 2011 at 2:28 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

I had a tornado come within 5 miles of my home when it hit Roanoke Rapids, NC and other cities. I have friends in Alabama that are safe but without power. Feel so sorry for those who lost so much.

April 29, 2011 at 5:57 AM  
Blogger Burk said...

Wanted to give an update from Memphis. We are ok after the storms. Our big problem now is flooding. Mississippi is higher that it has been here since 1937.

April 29, 2011 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I am so relieved to read that you guys are okay. Do any of us know any readers in the really rough patches? Or ways to contact them?

April 29, 2011 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

I hope it's an equine!!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Kathy P. said...

A bit of advice on the garden...basil and tomatoes are both very cold sensitive and really shouldn't go in the ground for a good month or so. Don't be fooled by the recent warm spell. Given the cold, wet spring we've had so far, there's more to come I think. Around here - in central NY - the traditional date for putting in tomatoes and other heat-lovers is Memorial Day. Even then, some years I've had to cover the seedlings.

Bettin' it's a pony... :-)

April 29, 2011 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Jenna, you keep making me cry at work! Combination of your post and the suffering in the South. So good to hear from those who are ok. Plus I am NOT patient (think plant seeds and check them in an hour, THAT much of a struggle), I'm going to have to check and check and check. No, I'll use this waiting-for-good-news as an excercise. I'll try to check only once a day.

April 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Fresh Eggs Farm said...

I think it is a cow!

April 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger sheila said...

I agree with Kathy P. I'm in same zone and it's way too early to plant frost sensitive tomatoes and basil.

April 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger MilkMaid09 said...

Oh man! Always love a good cliffhanger. . .

April 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Its way too early for basil and tomatoes! but I just have two of each, and I have these plastic covers just in case. I just want to try. I might plant the basil inside, actually....

April 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Hang in there, Southern folks! We seem to still be taking the ride, too, although not as bad as a week or two ago.

April 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger spinnersaw said...

If Saro's eggs don't hatch, pick up a goosling or two from the feed store. When it is dark out, slip them under her. In the morning she will be a mama. Geese do very well adopting babies.

April 29, 2011 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger cindycolombo said...

I think I know too and boy do I hope I am right.
cindy @ Shirehouse (named for the animal as much as the British word for county) ;)

April 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Katou said...

"Love is flying in the air..."???

April 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Hmmmm...a cow, a pony or a man? All would be exciting news:) You gotta tell us now!

April 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Can't wait to hear about it Jenna! I *think* I know what it is, and if it's what I think it is - Good for you Jenna! Only you know when you're ready to add to the farm, no head shaking from this direction... Then again we're urban dwellers with a chicken by-law and are picking up five silkie chicks tomorrow night so that doesn't say much ;)

April 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Erin Leigh said...

A horse? Or a man? :) Can't wait to find out!!

April 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

No man. I'm farming, not working miracles, people!

April 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm betting a cow or a small tractor for moving supplies around the farm. Don't know why everyone always thinks a woman needs a man. Let us know for sure if you pass the hat for our southern brothers and sisters. I used to give to charities after disasters until I heard too many stories of them not dispersing the money in a timely fashion.

April 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Jenna-

Thanks for your kind words about the South. I live in Ringgold, GA. It was hit by an EF-4 and our quaint precious town was destroyed. I live in the county and our neighborhood was spared (one of the few). Tripp and I are SO lucky and grateful. So many were not so lucky in Ringgold and other parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and so on. So much suffering. There is going to be so much rebuilding and it's going to take a while. It's difficult to even read about. Downtown Ringgold is a few miles from us and Chattanooga is a few miles the other way. Ringgold is still closed to the public due to safety issues, but should open up tomorrow. I cannot believe this has happened to our beloved community. Like I said, we were spared and the most Tripp and I have to go without is internet and cable (not a priority at all, of course). I'm now just getting online to check messages and the like and read your kind words. Keep my little precious town (and all the others that are suffering) in your thoughts. It needs all the positive energy it can get. Much love.:)

May 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home