Monday, April 4, 2011

Announcing: 2011/2012 Fiber CSA!

Cold Antler Farm's main enterprise is the Fiber CSA, and with shearing day just around the corner, I thought I'd explain how the main business of the farm works and how you can be a part of it if you'd like.

What is a CSA?
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's a fairly popular system. A practice of small-farming economics that helps farmers raise the capital they need going into the season under the agreement that when the crop is harvested (be it eggs, meat, dairy, veggies, honey, or wool) that they will be delivered the goods they paid for in advance at a later date. So you pay for your share up front, and become a shareholder in the farm. While this doesn't make you a part-owner (like a share in stock) you are getting to share in the joys of (live)stock. Members of the Cold Antler Farm Fiber CSA get a welcome packet with some wool at a date based on shearing and processing. You might pay and not get your wool until months down the road.

So that's how it works. It's actually a small gamble in some senses. If all goes as planned, you get a big package of wool and keep Cold Antler on its path to become the farm it will be! But if tragedy strikes and a tornado lifts my flock up into the air: no one gets any wool. While I doubt that's the case, you just need to know a CSA share is non refundable. The money will be long spent by packaging day.

How to Join the Lottery
If you want to be considered for the first lottery, understand that you need to be ready to commit to payment up front and you won't get your share until the 2012 season. This year's members get this season's wool, and if there is enough extra: so will you, but if not, it waits still next year's share. The price is $150 a share for 5-7 skeins of CAF Blackface/Longwool blend. It will be a near weatherproof wool, perfect for hats and gloves, vests and Irish Fishing sweaters! This is fifty dollars more than last year, because I actually lost money on the first round, and am hoping to lose a little less this time... The price is based on the cost of the mill, shearing, feed, etc. And keep in mind producing such a small batch of wool at a professional level is very costly. Last year's mill bill was nearly $900 dollars just to produce 68 skeins, and that wasn't counting the thousand dollars paid for five bred sheep! This next round will also possibly include some Angora Rabbit wool for hand spinning.

If you want to take the plunge with Jenna, leave a comment saying you are interested. I will pick names from this group (3-5) based on how many openings there will be.

Current Members
If you are a current member and would like to retain your membership, please reserve your 2011-2012 spot by emailing me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com with your current mailing address and send a PayPal payment of $150 to that address as well. Please include a few extra dollars to cover shipping and handling. If you will not be renewing, then please let me know soon as possible so I can open more spots up for others for future lottery drawings.

Thank you all, for your interest and support of my small farm.

photo by tim bronson

39 Comments:

Blogger Nerissa said...

I'm interested.

Nerissa,
nerissa.w.davis@gmail.com

April 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Please enter me into the wool CSA lottery! The thought of "Near weatherproof wool" has my head spinning!
katemichmer@verizon.net

April 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Matt_Middleton said...

I'd like to be in the lottery :)

April 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger shannonstoney said...

How big are the skeins? And what grist: sport weight, fingering, etc?

April 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger kst said...

I am most definitely interested!!!

April 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Annalisa said...

Please sign me up for the lottery. I'd love to be part of the CSA.

April 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I haven't had time to start knitting with my CSA yarn from last year yet, so someone can have my spot for this year while I try to catch up with my yarn.

April 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Viviane said...

Hi Jenna, I'm definitely interested!!! Please include me in this draw :)
Viviane

April 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Please enter me in the drawing!

Amanda

April 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
OpenID obernon said...

Please add me to the list for the lottery. I don't knit but it will make a great present for my mom who does!

Bethany

April 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Please enter me in the CSA lottery.

-Cari
bjcari1@att.net

April 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I would love to be in the running for the lottery! :)

Erica
norcalrn at gmail.com

April 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger MollyKnits said...

Oh, interested in being in the lottery.

Question: would roving be a possibility in the future? I am a hand spinner already, and I would dearly love roving more than yarn.

Either way, very interested in supporting you and your farm.

April 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I am very interested! :-)

Cris
cris.cantin@yahoo.com

April 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Aila said...

I too would be interested in either fleeces or roving as possible future options, although I understand if this would be fundamentally complicated. Maybe the savings on the mill fees would make up for the headache in sorting CSA membership types?

April 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM  
OpenID lyadann said...

I'm interested!

sarah.casey@alum.wpi.edu

April 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Joe St. John said...

I would love to be a part of ColdAntler's CSA. I love your blog, and would love some wool.

Joe,

joestjohn@gmail.com

April 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

I would love love love to get into the lottery!!!! I think I missed last years first cone first served by 2 comments :-( ... And I'm on a four hour time difference!
I was just thinking yesterday about the potential for a Mary Queen of (black faced) Scott's handwoven rug!
I would also be interested in a fiber/ roving share, though I'd honestly prefer raw fiber to roving as kyrgyz / Mongolian felted mats it what I have in mind, not hand spinning.....
Please please please!!!!

April 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Tobi said...

I'm interested, and I owe you pictures of my Angry Maude Mittens!

April 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Kitchen Mama said...

I would love to do it but I am maxed out with projects right now. Even my dishcloths are languishing on the needles. Maybe next year?

April 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Kate, Erica, Jasmine, Molly, Chris, Joe, Matt, Cari, and Nerissa won this round!

Each was assigned a number, and I literally pulled them from a wool hat.

Please email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com to get signed up!!! THANK YOU ALL!

(more chances later!)

April 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

Missed it (which is probably just as well because Himself might object to MORE YARN, even yarn with a cool backstory, entering the house before I use some of what's already here). But next time for sure!
Any chance of a few extra skeins for sale after the CSA folks get their shares?

April 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

I am interested

April 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger Georgann said...

Oh! Please enter me into your CSA lottery....I would love to take your wool raw, as roving, as skeins of wool...However it would best support you!

Georgann

April 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger Georgann said...

Oh! I would love to be part of your wool CSA. I am willing to take the wool as raw, as roving, as skeins. However would best support your farm efforts.

Georgann

April 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger E said...

What shannonstoney said.
Weight of skeins, type of yarn?
Asking $150 for 5-7 unspecified skeins is hard.

April 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Dahlia ChanTang said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! I would LOVE to buy a share if there is still room!

dahliajadephoenix@gmail.com

April 5, 2011 at 2:44 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Sorry, didn't see the questions there. The yarn is a 2 or 3 ply ( have to double check) 300 yard skein. It is natural white, the color of the sheep.

April 5, 2011 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah Rachelle said...

I am definitely interested in joining the CSA!

April 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger chesapeake said...

The fact that your csas continue to sell out in minutes tells me you aren't charging enough.

I appreciate that you don't want to overcharge, but I totally want to see you succeed, Jenna. Don't be afraid to value your products! Sheep gotta eat, you've gotta eat. I think it's awful that you were out money last year for this.

Like joel salatin says, it's a business, not a charity.

Ps-my mom, who is a knitter/spinner, heard the story about you playing music on sal's back and said "she needs to charge more for wool from that sheep." :-D

April 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Helenistic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I would love to be in your Wool CSA. I loved your book Chick Days and am following it daily as my girls are 2 weeks old today! Sign me up!

April 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger mommypie said...

Please enter me in the lottery. leveritt@tds.net Thanks!

April 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Lory said...

Please sign me up for CSA lottery, thanks, Lory

April 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I'm VERY interested.
Maggie Jones
magpieblue23@hotmail.com

April 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I'm VERY interested.
Maggie Jones
magpieblue23@hotmail.com

April 5, 2011 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Cappy said...

I'm interested!

April 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger debbie b said...

I am very interested.

debbie brodbeck
taffycat@hughes.net

April 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home