Saturday, March 26, 2011

triple hs treatment

Have you noticed I don't post as much during lambing?

I'll be back into my routine again soon, but right now my life revolves entirely around these four things: farm, sleep, office, lambing. The downtime I do manage to wrangle is used to add a few extra minutes of sleep, and even then I wake up a few times a night from my very-loud alarm to go out and check for any new charges. If it was 30 degrees at night and I had all my sheep in a proper barn I would sleep through the night like a rock. But when you're shepherding with an 8x12" shed and a lambing jug shack with lows in the southern teens...you need to get up and get those babies on warmed hay under a hot bulb. So I get up from nightmares* (bad sleeping patterns puts me in full-color, graphic end-of-the-world dreams) and put on all my wool armor, heavy Muck boots, canvas vest and a wool hat and search through the pasture for placenta.

I might be worn-thin but I am crazy-happy. A coworker told me after we got coffee one morning that "lambing looked good on me" and I had to ask her what the hell she meant by that? She told me I was glowing, like a new mom. I couldn't have put it better myself. Bringing these little muppets** into the world has been bliss.

And yet, the lack of REM while keeping up with the 8-5 full time job and running the farm has created a woman in serious need of a triple HS treatment. For those of you who have not tried it, it goes like this.

Hot Shower.
Hot Sugar.
Heart-warming Show.***

For me this means a twenty-minute steamy shower with lots of stretching of sore muscles, followed by a hot mug of cocoa, and a favorite television show on DVD I have probably seen seven times before, but am guaranteed to soak it up like comfort food. Something like Buffy, the Gilmore Girls, or Felicity. I have no qualms admitting to you I have probably seen these entire series four or five times each. Some people get stressed out and go for a drink or cigarette—I opt for Sunnydale or Stars Hollow.

*Did you know that the word nightmare comes from the belief that seeing a female horse before you go to bed caused bad dreams? Night Mares.

**Unlike normal lambs, Scotties come into the world with horns, shaggy hair, and spots. They look like something Jim Henson stuck his hand up.

***For men and extreme cases the shower remains the same, but the hot sugar can be replaced with High Spirits (whiskey, gin, name your pleasure). And the last one.... Well, use your imagination.

23 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

There's nothing more satisfying than being sleep deprived, but warm, with healthy babes out in the barn while you put on your favourite show. Sometimes I even sneak a little lamb in to snuggle while I watch. They smell SO GOOD. And they love to snuggle. Who has time for men when you've got life this good?

March 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Flartus said...

I have to say, I was really looking forward to the asterisks at the end! And you did not disappoint.

HS...hmm, I wonder what else you could possibly be referring to?? XD

March 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger beverley said...

Wouldn't you just love to live in stars hollow?

March 26, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

Hi Jenna, Linda & I are staying the night at a B & B called Celebrity Dairy which is an operational goat milking station. They have 64 milk goats and it was so much fun watching them come into the milking room and go right to their stalls where their heads were locked into a device that held them in place until the milking was completed. We also had a good time hugging and playing with the baby goats. Has been a wonderful experience.
Odie

March 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Gypsisoul1111 said...

Yes, someone else that watches the Gilmore Girls over and over, I never tire.....I just moved to Stars Hollow myself! Well, Lyndonville NY from the city. Following my dream, and you help the inspiration....movers actually moved the big stuff today.....

March 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Sara D said...

I am another girl who relies on Gilmore Girls to lift my spirits or comfort me during stressful times. Keep it up Jenna!

March 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Ahhhh.....totally off farm topic... but LOVE Buffy (but LOVE Spike more!) Sorry - just had to put that out there :)

Take care of yourself - and enjoy the new babies :)

March 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Gilmore Girls is definitely comfort TV! I used to pop it in when my daughter was a newborn on the days when she just wanted to nurse...and nurse...and nurse. Stars Hollow helped keep me from going stir-crazy on the couch. :)

March 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

We took our TV out of our small cabin for good, in January. I knew I would only miss one thing...our annual viewing of all 7 seasons of all things Gilmore. As I type this, my first-time sow, Sookie, is due next week. Father? Who else...Jackson. Unfortunately Rune, who was my all-time favorite pig (barrow), is at the processor... Just proof that Gilmore Girls grabs on and doesn't let go. Comfort indeed.

March 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger kimberlyann said...

The most appropriate use for your term "HS" is pharmaceutical. I am a pharmacist. "HS" stands for "hora somnia". That is what the doctor writes on your prescription when he wants you to take something at bedtime!
How funny!
When I read the thread title, I thought that is what you meant, and it is, but you didn't even know it! BRILLIANT, aren't you?

March 26, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I know my girls are home from college when the Rory-Lorelei conversations start flying from memory! It's an annual ritual between Christmas and New Years to bring home Gilmore Girls DVDs from the library for a winter marathon.

March 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

You're leading an interesting life these days, Jenna! We're waiting for the snow go finish melting before we can start on our barnyard dreams (two more raised garden beds, and a coop for our yet-to get layers. Needless to say, each time we drive by a farm field full of cows, there are fresh calves-spring is here! Where was I going with this? Really enjoying your blog, and thanks for sharing!

March 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

When I first saw the pic, I thought "What is Jenna doing at Luke's Diner?" I thought I was the only Gilmore Girls fanatic. I watch reruns on the family channel every day. I swear I have seen every episode at least 10 times. I asked for the boxed set for Christmas but didn't get it. Oh well, there is always next time.

Hope the rest of the lambs come soon so you can get some rest. God bless.

March 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Buffy is number one. It's a hit at sheepdog trials. I saw a handler run her dog in a Sunnydale High t-shirt!

March 27, 2011 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Kim~! Are you joking!?! That is wonderful! And true!

I would love to eat a barrow named rune!

March 27, 2011 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Looks like you've found your bliss, Jenna. This must be the breakthrough the universe had waiting for you after all of your winter difficulties. Continued blessings...

March 27, 2011 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Primginger said...

Stars Hollow is my dream town, love Gilmore Girls!...I'm also enjoying following your lamb storries!

March 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger ashley said...

i love you, jenna!!!

March 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

I have only seen the entire Buffy series twice.
When you get tired of Buffy (if such a thing is possible) you might try 1)Dead Like Me 2) Pushing Daisies 3) Wonderfalls 4) My So-Called Life, and more in the adult line, Californication and Weeds. I think they're all available online if you have a decent connection. blinx.com and others.

After a year of experience, I can't see the point of staying up all night with heritage sheep. But maybe in your colder climate it's necessary.

The definition of nightmar I'm familiar with is this one, which is actually a lot scarier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare

March 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Lael said...

Huge Buffy fan here, too. "Hot Sugar"? I was thinking a bit more X-rated!

March 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Love Buffy. Half-remembered article about an analysis of Buffy as pro-women, looking at the female characters' relationships, whether they were with other females or only with males, if the female=female conversation was only about males, etc. Anyway, Buffy came out off the charts in terms of positive female role-models and strong characters (duh) but also strong inter-female relationships. Anyway. Sleep deprived here, too, but not from lambs. Cheers.

March 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger farmgirljen said...

So glad to hear you're a Gilmore Girl! Kindred spirit! I was so lucky when the mom of one of my students (the whole family of women Gilmore Girls all) had made for me a Stars Hollow Athletics hoodie with the Minutemen logo. Rock on! I wear it and drink coffee from my ginourmous Luke's Diner mug when I need a pick-me-up. Stars Hollow forever!

March 27, 2011 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger justme27 said...

Ditto the kindred spirit feelings. If you put Felicity in the same sentence as Buffy and Gilmore Girls, I'll have to watch. My son's name is Xander and my daughter's is Lorelei.

April 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home