Thursday, March 31, 2011

a lamb's storm

A storm is brewing up here in Veryork. Unfortunately, I'm not being figurative. An actual snow storm is whirling right now in the angry sky and planning to dump 5-10 inches of snow on our current the world of taupe. The combination of nearly a foot of snow and three more pregnant ewes about to lamb required a vacation day. Some times you just have to put the farm first, and snow storms, a ewe recovering from ketosis, and an inexperienced yearling will be making for an interesting three-day weekend.

But lambs are not the only projects on the farm. I have plans to start really cleaning out the barn after the winter of pig and chickens, and preparing for the smaller rabbitry. Since my friends Zach and Shellee are returning the Angora bucks they got from me last year, and I already have a Palomino doe in the barn, it made sense to me to keep breeding them for meat and side-income. So Sunday I’ll pick up two little Angora does who will be bred to Benjamin and Bean’s progeny later this summer. Wool rabbits are back on the farm and I am glad. Expect cute bunny picks along with new lamb picks (if they ever show up….) soon.

P.S. I still have two spots free for the memorial day laying hen workshop, so come on over! It’ll be a summer day on the farm with friends from all over the New England/Mid Atlantic area with a campfire jam at night. I also have one spot left in the meat bird workshop. And five spots left for Sheep 101!

8 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I'm a little behind---congrats on the lambs. They are adorable! We have another 6 weeks to wait...

March 31, 2011 at 3:57 PM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

I have to clean my little barn out too, I've already got the rabbits down! Good luck with the weather, I had to shut the goat in today because it was so wily.

-Autumn

March 31, 2011 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Here I've been moaning about the fact that we can't seem to get any relief from the rain and no sun in my part of North Carolina. I believe I would really lose it if they called for snow! My thoughts are with you as you prepare for yet another. Keep those little ones warm. . .they are sooo cute.

March 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Sign me up for the sheep workshop and let me know how much it will cost. And remind me again when it is. I would love to go to the laying hen workshop as I missed the last one but that is my daughters 3rd birthday. Let me know if the spot for the sheep workshop is available.
hglaski@comcast.net or quinnglaski@gmail.com

March 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger RabbleRoost said...

Heh... I had been meaning to clean out the barn before kids hit the ground, but sometimes things creep up on you. For some reason I was under the impression that once her ligaments turned to mush you had a couple days to go. (I think it's more like twelve hours to go, based on experience!)
Tansy had a single dark-chocolate colored head Boer buckling this morning at around 9 unassisted. I'm so proud of her. :)
Walked in on a kid, lol.

This is my first kid, and hers as well. I think I might allow myself the sentimentality as you put it to keep him for myself too, though he wouldn't provide much of anything like a shearable sheep would.
It's such an awesome experience isn't it!

Have fun with your fuzzy bunnies too, they're cute. :)
Hope all goes well during the cold.

March 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

Watching the weather this morning I silently sucked air in as they said you would be getting a foot of snow, knowing what you have to accomplish............so sorry.........love that you took a long weekend and praying all goes well with lambing and the animals. We had 64 degrees today in Or. Thinking of you and those midnight checks! good luck!!!

March 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mother Nature seems to be quite crabby lately! They revised our flood forecast from fast & record setting to slooooow, long lasting and mildly floody. I don't know how chickens would react to the stress we have going on - can they be affected by moods, & long term stress? The bunnies sound cute but we couldn't raise them for food - my youngest's nickname is Bunny, for the 2 stuffed rabbits he had on him all the time as a toddler. Hmm, maybe for fiber...

April 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Matt_Middleton said...

On an unrelated note, Epicurious has given your book the thumbs up! :D

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2011/04/backyard-chickens-and-eggs.html

April 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home