Tuesday, February 8, 2011

weather and such

I woke up to the snow from childhood memories. The kind that covers every tree, every fence row, and hides all sin. It was still dark when I was outside delivering hay and water, but in the glow of the lamppost the flakes seemed magical. No cars drove by, and because of the atmosphere I would have been shocked if they did. The only transport that would have made any sense was a jingle horse. Inside the coffee was perking, there were some oatmeal cookies in a quart jar, and all the dogs had already been taken out and fed. I stood out by the well, on a slight down slope from the farm house and the sheep and just took it all in.

The weather has been flirtatious lately. Saturday night temperatures rose to nearly 40 degrees and a thunderstorm ripped through Jackson. I wasn't prepared for it. I was out late with the dogs, giving them their last trip outside when I noticed a giant flicker of light. I though the house shorted, or the lamppost was on the fritz...but then a clap of thunder filled the sky and I felt six again, I was so excited. I fell asleep with a window cracked open as the rain fell. It was almost like a summer pre-show. A trailer of what's to come. I missed my banjo. The rain reminded me of spring, and spring is for banjos, mud, chicks, and pea vines.

Sigh. They want it 0 tonight.

16 Comments:

Blogger Odie Langley said...

My wife used to get really irratated with me when I would go out on the front porch during a thunder storm and watch the lightning and the rain. It was soothing to me. I never thought I was in danger. Have a wonderful day.
Odie

February 8, 2011 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

We're expecting another couple of inches of snow tomorrow in TEXAS. This winter is nuts!

February 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger City Sister said...

We got a few inches last night...enough to still the environment around our home and make it feel calm again.

February 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

I love a good thunderstorm, but all we've really had here is snow, snow, and then a bit more snow on top of that. It's still something to look forward to, though.

February 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'm starting my tomatoes tonight, and maybe the peas too now that I've seen yours. Wait, do I have to buy you dinner because I saw your peas? :-D

February 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Here in Oregon we've been having really weirdly warm weather. It's tricked stuff into coming out of the ground and setting buds. Last frost isn't 'til the first week of April, so I sure hope nothing's blooming and getting frost bitten by then!

Your description sounded really wonderful. Do you sometimes get that rush of joy when you look around you?

February 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

We're having snow too Jenna. But a nice mild day with nothing moving out on the road - a good day to hunker down and I've finished my first project using Cold Antler Farm CSA wool!
Stay well and enjoy the weather as much as you can.

February 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love the magical snow. If it snows it should be that kind always.

I was surprised this morning letting the dogs out. White fluffy stuff had fallen. About 3 inches. At this point more snow is fine... it was wonderful though being surprised by the beautiful kind with the sun shining. (The sun does not shine a lot in Cleveland in the winter).

March is just around the corner...

February 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

You have a talent with your story telling! I can just see the flakes falling in the glow of the lamp...

February 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger From the Country Farm said...

Accurate description of the weather lately being flirtatious. Love it!

February 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

As Laura said, weather in Oregon has been strange. I'm hoping my apple trees don't burst in to bud too early and get hailed off. Your words bring the pictures to my mind.

February 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Odd Ducks Farm said...

As much as I love working on the farm, I find it all the more magical if I take a moment, as you did, to look up from the chores and just breathe in my suroundings. The other day it was sun slanting through the trees and snow slowly flittering down. It didn't matter that I was standing in three feet of manure, the day was PERFECT.

February 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Kitchen Mama said...

You paint a lovely picture with your words. But I have to say, you had me at "oatmeal cookies." I immediately set out butter to soften and will be making a batch this afternoon. Yum!

February 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

Kitchen mama, my thoughts exactly!! :) I am so craving those just cuz of Jenna.......not going to help me lose this winter padding :) Jenna, the pea vine is inspirational, as well as your stories.........thanks for the smile and sigh of contentment....chili beans simmering on the stove here, but 49 degrees and sunny today :)

February 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

"They" want it 0 tonight, but I sure don't!

February 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home