Monday, February 21, 2011

all over the place

Out of all my dogs, no one loves the truck more than Annie. Any vehicle, really, is Annie's favorite mode of transportation. So this afternoon when the morning's snowfall had melted I asked her casually if she would like to go for a ride? The old girl's head picked right up and she trotted over to me with the lightness of a racing star. Off to Wayside we went for the essentials (dog food and toilet paper). I am a very exciting young person.

Wayside had just finished a batch of some sort of brownie/blondie cookie dessert and I cringed. Ever since that Valentine's Day post I have been trying my hardest to treat myself with the same politeness and self-interest I have in others' well being. I snatched up a granola bar and headed out the door. I tempered the urge and rejoined my canine in the front seat. So far I've lost a little weight from better choices and every day work outs. It feels good, and I don't want to fall off the wagon for something in plastic wrap.

Whenever Annie gets out of the car after a ride she looks like she just won something. She literally prances to the door. An all-Annie-based reality show would be the most boring event on television. This week: jump on daybed, will she make it? Next week! Can she finish her bowl of chow in under 3 minutes? Let's go to tape and find out, Stacy! In the nail-biting finale... SLEEP!

I'd watch that show. Hell, I already do. I love it.

The weekend with my sister and her husband was so enjoyable. When you live with three (generally) quiet roommates you forget about how neat it is to wait for someone else to wake up so they can join you for coffee chatting and you can give them the morning farm report (wether they are interested or not). The three of us had a whirlwind weekend of local adventures in Veryork, and they took me out to dinner in Manchester Saturday night. We did some shopping and I got a $5.86 jean skirt at Ann Taylor's bargain rack and decided I felt both fancy and useful that day. A nice combination, that.

The farm is getting through this last leg of winter with aplomb. All the sheep are holding their heads high. The chickens seem either resigned or oblivious to their indoor lives. They rarely leave the coop more than a few feet so I feet piling fresh bedding on their own waste. When I finally muck that and the winter pig pen out I will have the beginnings of a compost pile so wonderful I can already see myself spreading it up their on the pasture. In my mind a small pony or donkey does the bulks of the heavy lifting and together we walk along the pastures trailing a small spreader and filling this old New York dirt with fresh ground. Replacing and repairing soil here to create new and foamy earth is a big project of this farm. I want to do a little each year, some day with working animals aside me to help. When I think about a draft pony my heart rate literally speeds up.

Saro is still on her eggs but I think the cause is lost. It's been too long, and too cold. I'm giving her a few more days and the the nest has to go. I decided this while cleaning out the coop a bit, after getting snagged by a nail. It was a very shallow scrape, but still drew a little blood. I went inside instantly to clean it up and was grateful I spent the $29 on that tetanus shot last year...

Dinner tonight: a bowl of chili that's been sitting in the slow cooker all day. After that, my plan is to read a chapter on lambing in one of my sheep books and watch some online videos and take notes. We're getting down to the last four weeks before my first lambs are due and besides studying up there are jugs to set up in the shed, the bum-lamb pen to prepare (and hopefully not need) in the barn, and a vet to come and give them a look over and possible vitamin booster. If I can manage getting them shorn mid-March, I will certainly do that as well to make sure their as visible and clean as possible before birth.

It'll be quite the ride, this spring. I'm not sure I'm prepared for it, but I'm already looking forward to the fireflies and storms of June: knowing when they arrive winter, lambing, and so much more will be behind me and overcome. How's that for greedy? Not even through with winter and wishing for the end of spring....

12 Comments:

Blogger Odie Langley said...

I love the way things are working out for you Jenna. Should be a great spring.

February 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Your stars appear to be aligning, what a great feeling for you !~! I am excited for lambing, like most moms I love "baby-anythings”. It’s the birth and nursing that fascinate me. So I limit my love to mammals, I reckon. Anyway, it is good to hear you planning for next fall already. Always looking down the road is the key to success at whatever spells success for you. I’m 53 and I am right where I want to be in exactly the right size (read: Tiny) home with good neighbors and a Mediterranean climate. Rock and roll. You are well on your way, Jenna-Boo. Stay the course.

February 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Those first lambs will be so cool for you. I recall fondly going thru that myself many years back. We were so worried that something would go wrong and we would not know how to handle it. But never had a problem. The girls pulled it off every time without any help.

February 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

Dinner in Manchester is always nice. If I were you, I would be prepared for a lambing problem but not worried about it. You chose a breed that is known for easy lambing. Enjoy the ride.

February 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Hound Doggy said...

This is a wee bit off topic...but I wanted to let you know that you've worn me down...HA...
Yesterday I ordered a banjo.
:)

February 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Buy a tin of Bag Balm and a package of top notch band aids for those farm related cuts.

February 21, 2011 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger E said...

I agree w Rick - The sheep and you will be fine! Likely lambs will be born while you're not even there. And you are so prepared.

February 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Any way this crazy knitter can get in on a the shorn sheep CSA?

February 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

great post!

February 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

When you're ready, I'll hook you up with a nice pony. Just say the word.

February 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

reading this while visiting a farm in so.cal...lambing is in full swing and we assisted a ewe and her babes this evening. amazing!

February 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Your bit about the Annie reality based show had me actually laughing out loud. Yup, sadly, I'd probably watch it, too. I love watching all aspects of farm life, even on my mini farm-ette.

February 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home