Thursday, January 6, 2011

godspeed the plow


Though the wealthy and great
Live in splendor and state
I envy them not, I declare it
For I grow my own hams
My own ewes, my own lambs
And I shear my own fleece and I wear it

By plowing and sowing
By reaping and mowing
All nature provides me with plenty
With a cellar well stored
And a bountiful board
And my garden affords every dainty

For here I am king
I can dance, drink and sing
Let no one approach as a stranger
I'll hunt when it's quiet
Come on, let us try it
Dull thinking drives anyone crazy

I have lawns, I have bowers
I have fruits, I have flowers
And the lark is my morning alarmer
So all farmers now
Here's Godspeed the plow
Long life and success to the farmer

-Agrarian Folk Song

13 Comments:

OpenID Tami said...

Well that song sounds exactly like you!

January 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've been meaning to ask- where do you find these awesome woodcut images?

January 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Sprite said...

Fabulous lines. I think some of that would translate really well to a cross-stitch sampler!

January 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I get asked that all the time Heather! The anwser is so lame...

I google "Plough Engraving" or "PLow woodcut" or "sheep engraving" and know I will find something a few pages in.

January 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Loved it! Thought you wrote it at first because it reads like your writing style. Thanks for sharing.

And I agree... where do you get those great images!?!

January 6, 2011 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Cheezbunny said...

Amen!

January 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger greenmtngirl said...

Mary Azarian (http://www.maryazarian.com) made a wonderful woodcut of two verses of this a few years back (okay, probably 20 years back). I have a tattered, hand colored print of it *somewhere*. I think it belonged to her "medieval" series. I have always loved these verses.

January 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hear, hear! And I say that with home brew in hand! Well, okay, imaginary home brew. We have it, but it's a little too close to bedtime to be drinking....

January 7, 2011 at 1:37 AM  
Blogger ward said...

Nice lyrics. Sounds like home.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace.

January 7, 2011 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Those verses are fabulous, and even a bit inspiring. Thanks for sharing them!

January 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Cappy said...

You need to embroider that and hang it on your wall!

January 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

love it! would love to hear it sung.

January 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

That was really great Jenna. Hope you don't get too bad of a storm going into early next week.
Odie

January 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home