Monday, January 10, 2011

goose bread

I made the sweetest, flakiest, sugar-coated bread this weekend and wanted to share the recipe. It came out perfectly, and it was one of those happy miracles amateur cooks come across among the many flops of an educational kitchen: but this, this bread was heavenly. I made some flourishes and variations on a basic farm loaf recipe and added a secret ingredient...goose.

Well, a goose egg that is.

Goose Bread

You'll need:
Good Flour
Room Temperature Butter
Honey
Yeast
Sugar
Goose Egg (can substitute one and a half chicken eggs)
whisk
cake pan (or cast-iron skillet)
large baking bowl
large saucepan of water


Start your bread by placing a teaspoon of dry active yeast into a bowl, and cover it with about a tablespoon of good honey. Then add about a cup of hot water (like as hot as your tap will go) and using a whisk—quickly mix together the honey, hot water, and yeast into a dirty, frothy, water that looks cloudy and useless. Then set it aside and come back in about 5 or 10 minutes to see what's come of it. If you have a frothy head of yeast foam; then your yeast was fresh enough and your water was hot enough. If you just have the same exact dirty water your bread probably won't rise and be hard as a brick. (Try again with hotter (non boiling) water and fresher yeast.)

But if you got the frothy goodness...
Crack your goose egg and whisk that in as well. (I add about a 1/4 cup of sugar at this point too) and about a 1/2 cup of flour. This is my starter. What you should get is a wet porridge of yellowy goodness. Add half a cup of flour at a time and mix/knead it in to thicken it up to the point where you can start kneading on a table top. You want a firm dough that still remains a little sticky. (You can sprinkle flour on your counter while you knead to keep it from messing up your table and to keep it intact.)

When your dough has been well kneaded (about 5 minutes of good arm working out), take some soft butter into your clean hands and literally rub your hands together like it came with a Jergens label on it. Then use that soft butter and massage it into and around your dough, really give it a coating like you're repairing cracked skin. Cover the thing in a film of real butter and let it set to rise in a clean bow with a damp cloth covering it. It needs at least two hours (egg breads rise slower, the dough has to work more) in a comfortable, undisturbed place.

When it's doubled in size you're ready to punch it down and knead it back into its original shape. When you got all the air out, break it into three balls, coat them with some fresh flour (as to make them less sticky) and roll them into long snakes of dough with your hands. (You want them fairly skinny, like as thick as your thumb.) Take all three snakes and braid them now. Make them into a long, beautiful, horse-tail braid and then coil that braid around itself so you have a gorgeous knotted circle. Make sure you really seal the ends and bottom by pinching the dough together so it is really connected and won't break apart while it bakes.) Now place your pretty dough into a buttered cake pan (or better yet, cast-iron skillet). Set it aside for another two hours to rise again. You want the skin to get a little hard to the touch, almost stale. that's when you know you're ready to make magic happen.

Next you'll get some water to boil over your stove. When it's bubbling, take your small circle loaf and carefully place it into the boiling water (like you would with a bagel) for about half a minute, and then flip it back over. Set it on a clean dish towel to air dry and then brush it with melted butter. Before the butter gets a chance to dry too, gently sprinkled sugar on top. (If you sprinkle from about ten inches above it your sugar will fall over your crust more evenly). Place it back into your greased up skillet and bake for about 25 minutes at 360. When it is a healthy brown take it right out of the oven, free it from its pan, and set it to air on a rack or towel. Eat with real butter. Smile like the happy beast you are and take a bite.

Goose Bread. Hot damn, it's the next big thing.

47 Comments:

Blogger Wild Plum Cottage said...

My husband is the baker in our house, so I'm going to ask him to make this bread. It sounds and looks delicious!

January 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM  
OpenID kateohkatie said...

Hot damn that sounds amazing! Will make it this weekend and report back with results :-)

(Though I'll have to sub out the goose egg, as my home (err...apartment) is currently sadly lacking in geese ;-P

January 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I was thinking...can people in big cities get goose eggs? Do they sell them in specialty baking markets?

January 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Kitchen Mama said...

Have never seen goose eggs where I live, although duck eggs are pretty easy to get. Are goose eggs oilier like duck eggs or more like big chicken eggs?

January 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Wiste said...

Just FYI, if your water is too hot it will kill the yeast before they can do their job. Most water heaters are around 125 degrees but if yours is set high, be careful. I use an instant read thermometer. It also depends on the type of yeast you happen to be using so make sure you read the package directions so you don't kill the little yeastie beasties.

January 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've never seen goose eggs anywhere around here for sale. My neighbors have some geese though...thanks for giving me a great reason to go meet them. :)
Other than obviously being from a different animal, what's the difference between a goose egg and a duck egg?

January 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

the giant yokes and jelly-like whites make goose eggs (I think) the best baking egg. They have that oilier, more fatty, aspect like duck eggs (so you don't need an oil at all) but retain that rich yellow yoke like chickens....

January 10, 2011 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger ASTOLDBYGINGER said...

Yum, Thanks for sharing! I know what I'll be doing this weekend... baking this bread !

January 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Hayley said...

Hush your mouth Jenna.
I am on the Atkins diet.
I. am. so. hungry.

January 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Pen and Paperie said...

Oh yum!
I've never made a bread that you boil first (nor bagels)...did I read that right, you boil the bread?
I think I must try this! Maybe I'll see if I can track down a goose egg anywhere first...

January 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

Its funny you posted this tonight I am baking your basic bread recipe from made from scratch as I am typing this.... you doing something instead of sitting on a stool and watching the bread rise so here I am. This recipe sounds amazing I love baking anything that has carbs so I will give it a whirl thanks for another great post.

January 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Calico said...

Is it the yolk part or the white part that you use for the half a chicken egg? Or do you scramble one and use that? Never made egg bread before. Sounds Like the perfect indulgence before the Diet begins!!

January 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Baking is my favorite, esp. breads... I think I might need some geese then (and then I can stop guessing when the mail gets here too ) :)

January 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger GirlSavorsLife said...

Oh it turned out beautifully! Nothing, really nothing, is better than homemade bread. Have a loaf going for my daughter's sandwiches even as I type. And drool.

January 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Manzanita Farms said...

That looks and sounds delicious. I'm going to make sans goose eggs as I only have chicken eggs. I will repeat the question of another reader: If using 1-1/2 chicken eggs, do I worry about whites or yolks or just mix them together? Thanks!

January 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Carol G said...

You did good! Wish I was there to sample some (even if gluten does make me sick...)!

January 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Sounds fantastic and looks beautiful. I make bread on a regular basis and I know that if your water is too hot it will kill the yeast.

January 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

That sounds and looks delicious. Sadly, I don't have any goose eggs on hand, but I'll give it a go with the appropriate substitutions. Thanks!

January 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

That looks amazingly yummy! But I have a few questions. 1 1/2 eggs. How do I do that? I know I should know this. Maybe scramble 2 eggs and leave a little in the cup?

And when you say to boil water then take the dough out of the pan it's been rising in for the 2nd time and put it in the boiling water like a bagel, does it not go flat when picking it up? If I just touch my bread dough, it deflates real fast. Just wondering.

January 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

And did you not just tear into that as soon as you could and eat the whole thing dripping in more butter? I think I will.

January 11, 2011 at 1:56 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

That's a beautiful loaf of bread!

I'd heard that duck eggs were really great for baking, and I'm not a big baker ('cause then I'd have to be a big eater- no will power), but when the woman selling the duck eggs said they're good for pasta too, I was all over them. She also had goose eggs for sale, but I doubt seriously that she'd sell me just one. This was at the Oregon City Farmers Market late last spring.

I am going to try this recipe.

But did you use a cake pan or did you use a skillet?

January 11, 2011 at 2:00 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

By the way, that looks fancy enough for Easter.

January 11, 2011 at 2:01 AM  
Blogger Bovey Belle said...

That looks SO GOOD - and not just because I haven't' eaten breakfast yet! I think I will give that a try, though it will have to be hen's eggs and not goose (think all my neighbour's geese were for the Christmas market . . .)

I have only had goose egg as an omelette - it fed two of us as it was one heck of an egg!

January 11, 2011 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

Jenna I love to cook and always have but have "0" patience so this would not work for me since I look for instant gratification. But, I had the most fun reading your instructions. You are sooooooo funny girl and make me smile and that is a good thing to start the day. Thanks.
odie

January 11, 2011 at 5:50 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

sorry, i meant one whole egg and a second yoke, but whole whole eggs won't hurt either!

January 11, 2011 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger Gelfling said...

some health food markets like Whole Foods sell goose eggs, along with other delightful eggs like emu, ostrich and duck eggs :)

January 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger twistie said...

looks beautiful Jenna, after I get a new oven (mine died right before Christmas) I think I'll have to make this, thanks for sharing.


Diets schmiets, eat all things in moderation, life is too short.

January 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

That bread looks absolutely amazing! It stopped me in my tracks. Thanks for sharing!

January 11, 2011 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

This promptly made it's way onto my "to do" list for today. :)

January 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Anke said...

My goodness that bread looks amazing. Almost to pretty to eat... almost...

January 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM  
OpenID littlerockyridgebarn said...

Man, that looks good! I wish I could find a goose egg and some time.

-Autumn

January 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Duck said...

If I do actually have a pair of geese, the first egg just might go into making this bread. ;)
And then I'll save the rest and let them hatch so their children are nicer than the parents are for sure! Goose bites and flogging wings aren't so nice.

I guess once the ducks start laying I could use those eggs too.

I already bake Mother Earth News' recipe for no-knead bread regularly, so maybe I should give a recipe that requires kneading a try for once. It looks awesome.

January 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Duck said...

A pair as opposed to two ganders.

Might explain why they attack each other (and then turn on me for good measure).

January 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

that looks so good!

goose eggs are also great in stir fry...yummmmmm.

January 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger E said...

That's a very tempting recipe!

My understanding is that using hot tap water for cooking isn't a good idea (copper in water and risk of Legionella).
I use tea kettle + cold water.

January 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM  
OpenID Lynda said...

That looks delicious. I'm jealous!

January 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

That's the first time I've ever seen a BREAD recipe involving boiling the risen loaf. Interesting!

Looks gorgeous, too!

January 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Our Asian market regularly stocks goose, duck and quail eggs. Gorgeous loaf!

January 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

Yum! I'll be trying this. Those ten hens out there are reliably sending eggs in here, so that will work just fine...

Thanks for sharing!
Dianne
www.mysouthernheart.com

January 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm curious as to what the effect of dipping the bread in boiling water for 1/2 a minute is - can anyone with a better understanding of these things than me illuminate me? thanks!

January 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

You didn't take photos of the process did you? For some reason I can picture what you are talking about

January 11, 2011 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah Rachelle said...

Ooh, beautiful! I wouldn't mind trying that recipe out. Speaking of recipes... I just tried your dad's Jackapple Cake from you book and it was amazing!! Heaven in a cake pan, let me tell you!

January 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

That looks darn yummy! Can't wait to give the recipe a try!

January 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Jenna, I made this yesterday. When I got to the part of putting it in the boiling water, it deflated, and then I had a hell of a time getting it from the towel (to dry for a minute) back into the skillet. Any tips? It still came out okay. It tastes yummy, but it definately wasn't as pretty as yours.

January 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

We don't have any geese right now *since they disgraced themselves* but I am going for 3 bantam eggs and I am giving this a try !
(it will then be bantam bread, which doesn't sound so good!)

January 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger fletchers99 said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the recipe - can't wait to make some for myself!

January 15, 2011 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger CallieK said...

I had the same problem as treehugger- it deflated when I picked it up and folded over on itself when I tried to lift it out of the water. And the bottom was still sticky so couldn't dry it on a towel, just had to pop it straight back in the skillet. It's a bit of a flattened mess but it tastes good.

January 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home