Thursday, December 16, 2010

tent city

Flying Pig Farm is just a six mile jaunt from my front door. Being a grass farm, they move their herds of heritage hams around their vast acreage, but I personally love the spring and winter when they are near the road that leads to Cold Antler. I pulled over my car on the way home at lunch and took a picture of a small section of their vast tent city. It looks like a group of mostly Tamworths were in frame. All of them trotting about to or from the food to their shelters. It reminded me of my weekend at Bonnaroo.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

There's some serious meat frolicking in the snow.

December 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

That is truly heartening to see- free roaming swine.

December 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh, I know where that is! I used to work for Greenmarket in NYC and did some filming at Flying Pigs for a documentary that I was working on.

December 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

paula, you are so right. These hogs have no sow crates or cement cells, they hoof around all day with their tails in tack. Flying Pig is a GREAT FARM.

December 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Pen and Paperie said...

Do the pigs go into the little quonset-hut-tents to keep warm? This is quite a lovely scene!

December 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

They must, Pen, because these guys are pros, doing this for years here in Veryork. But I think my pig in her barn pen of straw, fresh water, heat lapms, food scraps, feed, and corn is living pretty posh compared to these scrappy Tams and Durocs.

December 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home