Tuesday, December 28, 2010

chickens 101 workshops on the farm! *DATE CHANGES*

I plan on hosting Chickens 101 Workshops here at the farm in March and June. Two will be dedicated to raising chicks for eggs, and one will be about small-scale meat production.

Breakfast in the Backyard
Sunday March 6th and Saturday 12th 2011

This is crash course in how to raise backyard chickens for beginners, and get this, it comes with chickens All people who sign up for the all-day workshop will go home with three heirloom laying chicks and a copy of my beginner's book: Chick Days. You'll go home with your new birds and everything you need to know to raise them right. This is a great opportunity for people who just need that friendly push to take the plunge into the poultry world. No experience with chickens needed to attend, and I am confident anyone leaving CAF that day will go home with confidence that they can raise their peeps to laying hens come fall.

The workshop will start at 10AM and include a brunch spread, coffee, and juice and start with group intros and lecture on how I came into birds and how they changed me into the farmer I am starting to become. There will be a tour of the coop and farm and more discussions on housing, healthcare, and a Q&A period as well. I would also like to host a group discussion about the importance of self-reliance and the first steps of adding animal husbandry to our modern backyards: both for food security and local production. It will be a day of like minds, baby chickens, farm animals, and probably a fiddle tune or two.

BBQ in the Backyard
June 4th 2011

I will also do a workshop on small-scale meat bird production if there is an interest (which will not include a Chick Days book, but will include 5 meat birds to take home and raise for your table.) This all day events (also 10-4 with food and refreshments) will include lecture, and instruction in home processing with a live demonstation. You'll go home knowing exactly which boning knife to buy at the kitchen store and my secret leg loop trick for hanging fowl by their feet without a fuss. All the basics of raising backyard meat will be covered, but the bulk of the day will be on how to safely and humanely turn animals into food. (Trust me, I am an expert on the SAFE part after last summer's lesson). This will take place on the farm in on June 4th.

All workshops are limited to ten people, and slots are filled when the workshop is paid for to secure your space. If you are interested, please email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

18 Comments:

Blogger Misha said...

I think you need to travel more...like to... Denver :) Otherwise those chicks have a long road trip to my yard.
SO wish I lived closer. *pout*
Considered doing videos or webinars?

December 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger mountaingirl46 said...

Yes, I'm from Alaska and a webinar would be awesome!

December 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Good for you, Jenna: Value Added is where it's at in farming, as in so many other activities. Diversity wil be the key for your successful small holding!
BTW I just wound up a skein of Cold Antler Farm wool last evening and tonight or tomorrow will be casting on for the hat.
Snowing and blowing hard here and really cold - aarghh! come on spring!
Janet in Nova Scotia

December 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Sign me up for March please, what is the cost?

December 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger GirlSavorsLife said...

Hmmm.. I'm a Colorado girl too. I would make that trip to Denver, Misha! Sounds like a great idea Jenna-- wonderful to share your experience and be self-sustaining with your farming efforts.

December 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Amen to the webinar idea! I live too far away to come and see CAF in the flesh, but sounds super awesome and I'd be there if I could!

December 28, 2010 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Just put dark meat in the pressure cooker, out will come gumbo, hot damn!

December 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I would like to do a webinar? But not sure how to do a live feed? I could do some instructional videos? But some things i can't put on youtube without PETA reps sending me some scary emails.

December 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

Awe come on Jenna, take on the PETA freaks. They need to get a grip on reality. They also need to take on the big guys and leave us little people to heck alone. They would have an issue with you "enslaving" Gibson to move sheep or the huskies to move a sled or me to use my dogs to find lost or deceased people. I think it would be well worth getting them all in a twist.

December 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

Sounds great. Why don't you post the cost of things you advertise? don't be so shy about it. It is perfectly okay to advertise and charge $.

December 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Knicker-twisting on PETA’s ?~? I am in for a penny and a pound!! Good luck with the seminars-I am in California and it’s really too far for the day.

December 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

Even NC is a long way from CAF girl and believe me if it were closer I would be there for sure.
Odie

December 29, 2010 at 5:24 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I don't feel comfortable listing prices on the blog, when the CAF website is up and running, I will list prices and such there.

December 29, 2010 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger tiki1682 said...

I wish I could take this! Unfortunately I live in the Seattle area with no immediate plans to come out your way! Have a great time! I know I'll learn as much as I can from your latest book :-)

December 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger CallieK said...

If I could figure out a way to keep chickens in downtown Toronto, I travel to NY for this. Maybe this year the city will finally legalize them !

December 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Chance said...

Ummmm....I keep looking for your website, but when I search for it, I just keep coming back to your blog. Love to know the price of the workshops and also, how to find your website. These are great ideas!

December 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

well your only 6 and a half hours for me but still a little far for a chicken... at least in my book I know the huge farms dont care about their chickens.... I would love videos too!

December 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I am not a beginner but is always nice to get a different spin on how others tend to their flock. How much is the cost of this and do you even have space available? I already have a copy of the book and don't know that I necessarily need more chicks but would love the insight!

December 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home