Monday, December 6, 2010

the big day: part 1

So I woke up and checked my email this morning, delighted to see a note from a Miss. Aileen McFazdean, Secretary of the Scottish Blackface Breeder's Association, the UK-based club I joined a few weeks ago for their resources, journal, email list, (and hopefully) advice. To get my first official club meeting notes and email on the day my sheep are being delivered, I thought, was a good sign. A little kismet on this very cold, very snowy day.

I've been up and doing chores since before dawn. Starting with Gibson and I hauling the truck to Stewart's to get milk and apple cider donuts for the delivery crew. Two members of NEBCA are coming to see the farm and unload the sheep. The least I could do is offer them some nosh for the ride home.

I feel like it's already noon. I've pounded fresh fence posts in the nearly frozen ground (no small feet), and have restrung and (am trying to) reactivate the electric fences in the main area for the new sheep. So my day has involved walking fence lines, hauling out fresh water, moving Sal, Maude, and Joseph into a separate paddock so they can all meet between a fence before they become one big flock. I got a new watering 16-gallon bucket that's electric and will stay warm without freezing. The goldfish from the Washington County Fair are still alive in the other stock tank. They grew up into some hardy fish, let me tell you. They are currently swimming under a sheet of ice. I think they have deserved a warmer winter condo. I can't believe they made it this long.

Cathy Daughton and her kids are coming up on this snowy day to help with the sheep unloading and learn to make cheese. We'll be making mozzarella and I am hoping, adding it to our own homemade pizza for lunch. Should be a fun time, and a nice way to stay warm while the snow falls (just an inches, if that) and the stove roars. I can't wait to post photos. Stay tuned throughout the day!

19 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

The big day has arrived! Make sure you get a picture of yourself today too. Of course I don't know if there is a wide enough lens to capture the smile you are going to have. I hope they come soon. "Baa, baa blackfaced sheep" keeps going through my head.

December 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger ashley english said...

best of luck today! i know you're just SO excited!!! sending love and light (and warmth-it's 22 here! yikes!) from north cack-a-lackie!

December 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

Best wishes on your big day!

-Brenda

December 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Can't wait to see photos of the new residents!

I'm not sure if the goldfish will survive in an above-ground tank, but I understand you need to keep the ice open to let methane escape or it will do them in for sure. If it's a stock tank you'll probably be doing that anyway...

December 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Toni aka irishlas said...

Congratulations Jenna! This is big time, son, as you would say!

I still haven't figured out how to put music on my blog - need to try a little harder so you can hear the tune I wrote for you right after you bought your farm. I named the tune "Sheep on the Hill" and we now play it out in the band regularly at gigs.

Again, have fun today and congratulations!

December 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

Have fun and I will be thinking of you all day from Wisconsin...

December 6, 2010 at 9:02 AM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

Sounds like a great start to a great day - have fun!

December 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

Sending you warm vibes from Southern California....lots of pictures today please!

December 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Soooo jealous. Relish every moment, and be sure to fill us in on every detail and every photo-op of the day. Can't wait to see a pic of you beside the new additions. Enjoy.

December 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Sheephollow said...

Take a look at this video, old tim cloggers, fiddlers, and bajo playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2j8f7H2WY

December 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics. And can you please send some snow down to MD?

December 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Kirsten Smith said...

Wow! You pounded fence posts in the ground today? I live a ways south of you & that would be miserable work today. That's impressive!
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new sheep!

December 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Odd Ducks Farm said...

We're all of a giggly excitement over here. Can't wait to see pics of the herd!

December 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Moose Nugget said...

Heehee! Next year's yarn being delivered on the hoof!

Can't wait to see those chubby, pregnant gals!

December 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'm sooo excited for you! Can't wait to see those beautiful new girls! Sending lots of positive energy for a smooth transition for all!

Blessings,
Debi

December 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Yay! the sheep are coming!

Re: the goldfish. they like it cold, but not freezing. Too warm and they die. In goldfish culture (or carp) the best thing is a pond in the ground, with a section deep enough that they can hang out in so they don't freeze. I think if your new bucket just keeps the water from freezing but still leaves it cold, you should be fine. Large carp are worth a lot of money; you can spend a few hundred dollars on one, depending on how big it is.

Apple cider doughnuts sound really good!

Good luck today!

December 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Jen (emeraldsunshine.org) said...

I'm going to have to go into the sheep delivery business so I can get some of those doughnuts!

December 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
OpenID Allison said...

Congrats on your sheep! They look adorable.

December 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Thinkin' Out Loud said...

I'm so excited for you and I hope all has gone well since this post.

December 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home