Wednesday, November 10, 2010

winter, colonial men, and yarn...

Winter is certainly upon us. I can tell this is the last gasp before things truly turn in for the year. Tomorrow through Sunday they want it in the fifties and sunny (a blessing for the mountain drive to herding lessons in Massachusetts this weekend), but I think next week we'll meet the true northern chills.

I'm both excited and nervous about this first winter on the Jackson Farm. Excited to be warm and cozy in my own home as the snow falls and the wood stove sings: but worried about freezing pipes, stuck trucks, icy roads, bad commutes, and weather damage and rough storms. Word from the old timers is this year is going to be a bad one, and we all know the only way out is through.

I'm about to head back downstairs to the living room and enjoy a home brew while watching another episode of Colonial House on DVD. It's my favorite reality show ever made, and I think I've seen in 4 times in the past five years. (Netflix is a farmer's best friend right under W-40, baling twine, and duct tape.) I highly recommend that show for any of you DVD-player-owning-back-to-the-landers out there. It's family friendly, educational, and all around grand. I have such a crush on Don Wood, a NYC carpenter on the show. I found out recently via Facebook he was married now. That was a long sigh.

For those of you hankering for some really great yarn, my herding instructor Denise of Tanstaalf Farm (There aint no such thing as a free lunch Farm) has some giant 300+ yard skeins and pound balls of roving for twenty dollars a pop. Beautiful, natural colors in dark grays, from the very sheep Gibson herds at his lessons and processed at Still River Mill in Connecticut. It's 100% New England wool and she's looking to sell what she has left. Email Denise through the link on her site. Just tell her you found her through CAF and you have a yarn problem and need a fix. She'll hook you up.

Thank you all for the kind words about Bean. She was a fine doe. Though I don't think I'll be replacing her anytime soon. Time to put my sheep blinders on and keep my eyes on the prize of healthy Scottish Blackface babes in May.

19 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I liked Frontier House on PBS, so now I'm going to try and find Colonial House and rent it. Thanks for the tip!

November 10, 2010 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I loved Frontier House, but the people and longer series of Colonial House is a greater mix. All around A+

November 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

I still watch Frontier house at least once a year (and general twice a year).

Colonial House is my second favorite but that lady that was married to the guy picked to be the preacher just gets on my nerves. I hope she just came off as bad due to editing and that it's not her real personality. Other than that it's a buyer / re-watcher also :)

November 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Colonial House was interesting, but I liked Frontier House better. And we just watched 1940s House--same idea, but it's WWII London. Really interesting and enlightening (I've read a ton of fiction set in WWII England, so it was fascinating to me.)

November 10, 2010 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

Dang, Don Wood got married? Too bad. He was always my favorite. I loved when he said "This 'P' is for Professionalism..."

November 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

How funny - I know someone here who owns a pub called Tanstaafl.

Even in my rather warm neck of the woods, winter is indeed upon us. I'm working overtime trying to get this place zipped up and put to bed so I can hibernate for a couple of months!

November 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I wonder how I missed both of them- I'm a PBS diehard. Maybe it was the 'reality show' designation- I can't stand so-called reality shows.

But you make me curious- I'll have to look for it at the library.

November 11, 2010 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

So sorry about your rabbit, it is always hard when you lose them. We are HUGE "house" fans. Have you ever seen Frontier House? That one is my favorite, or better yet the Canadian version which is "Pioneer Quest". As far as I know that one has to be purchased and it is still on VHS tapes, I know this because Hubby bought the whole 9 tape set for me a few Christmases ago. We are just finishing up watching it again this week. I liked the Canadian version because it was a whole year, and there wasn't as much whining about the modern stuff, they really got into it! The yarn is beautiful! Just spent the day yesterday with some fiber friends and dreaming about getting pygora goats to go with our angora rabbits. That's the beauty of a fiber obsession, there are always more animals to spin!!:))

November 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Georgia said...

I loved Frontier House. Was Colonial house the one with the servants? I didn't care for that one as much.

November 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Curt & Ann Lynn said...

You should check out Victorian Farnhouse, a BBC series. I actually watched whole series from Youtube. Someone uploaded 36, ten minute videos. Very interesting to see how they got along before oil and electricity.

November 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Curt & Ann Lynn said...

Sorry, look in Youtube for "Victorian Farm", not farmhouse. Also same person has uploaded other BBC series, Story of England, etc. There are also Coal House and Manor House on youtube.

November 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Melissa Tosetti said...

How funny! I was on Oprah's site yesterday and stumbled on photos of her and her friend Gayle as they spent two days on Colonial House. Fast forward to today and see that it is one of your favorite shows as well. I loved that show! At times, it was very emotionally tough to watch, but was wonderful. I have been a re-enactor for 20 years and love all things historical. I am also a farm girl at heart and have loved reading your blog and your book - Yours was the first book I ever pre-ordered.

Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch Colonial House... I may have to watch Frontier House and 1900 House again too!

Melissa Tosetti
www.TheSavvyLife.com

November 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

Victorian Farm is great! One of this living history historians that helped train the Colonial House participants appears in that show.

Jenna, if you haven't checked it out yet you should!

November 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh my goodness, I never thought I would find a community that watches frontier house as much as I do. I usually wind up watching the whole season nearly every weekend through the winter. I just pop in the dvd on a Saturday and have it play while I bake and knit. Nate, Rudy, and Kristen are adorable.

November 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Erika said...

oh man i love all those shows and forgot about them...Netflix queue here I come!

I'm a bit worried about winter too. I have some stuff stockpiled but I feel like it isn't enough. Fingers crossed, hopefully no crippling blizzards.

I'm going to check out that yarn. My parents just arrived last night and brought me some alpaca yarn from a farm near them in AZ. It's so beautiful.

November 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

oooooo! Just added Colonial House and Frontier House to my queue. I saw that Colonial House takes place on the coast of Maine...I can't believe I've never heard of it! (I live on the coast of Maine)

November 11, 2010 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger you can take the girl out of the country but.... said...

Check out "Ranch House" too. That's a good one. My personal favorite is Frontier House because they were all equals and faced similar challenges.

November 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

I loved the 40's House and Frontier House. I don't have Netflix, but will look at my library for the rest of these titles. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

November 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger CallieK said...

Netflix just arrived here in Canada and I was going to sign up for my free trial month but for some reason neither Colonial House nor Frontier House are available here. Boo.

anyone know any good torrent sites to download either of them?

November 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home