Saturday, November 27, 2010

roll call

Cold Antler Farm currently hosts: Three sheep (five more pregnant ewes delivered December 6th!), two geese, sixteen laying hens, five roosters, two rabbits (the doe might be pregnant?), three dogs, a hive of bees, a pig, and me on six-and-a-half hillside acres in Jackson, New York.

I do not have a gym membership.


Blogger Victoria said...

And it sounds like you don't need one! Love your recent posts about meat and the homesteading trends, although I was shocked by some of the comments you received. I've been reading your blog for months. I don't know if we'll ever have a full on farm, but I feel better with the few small changes that we've made. My favorite things: laying hens (although our dog seems to be taking them out one at a time) and the clothesline. As a result, laundry has become my new favorite chore--which is saying a lot with a husband who is a carpenter and a fisherman. It saves energy while getting me out in the sun.
I love reading your blog. Thanks for giving us a look into your world.

November 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

LOL! Definite benefit to hauling all that feed. Bet you win arm wrestling too. :-)

November 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Yes, I have to shake my head at the folks around me who pay for a gym membership, then pay someone else to mow their lawn for them. (That's the suburban version of your chore list, lol!)

November 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

Jenna, as I was reading your blog this morning about all your animals was The twelve day's of Christmas song. I think you with your creative mind could come up with a song for the holiday season! (or maybe one of your blogger friends) The song could enclude all your animals and all the things you do on your farm...
Maybe I need to go back to bed and get more rest???????????????
Have a super day..

November 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I second Dawn's idea! A Cold Antler 12 days of Christmas would rock!

I had a dream last night that I was buying hay for my new sheep! I could actually feel myself moving the bales, and it felt good to be working like that again! I'd trade a gym membership for that kind of work any day!


November 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

December 6 is the feast day of St Nicholas, often considered the inspiration for modern Santa Claus. Dec 6 is celebrated in many European countries as "Little Christmas" when St Nick brings gifts to children. I find this coincidence of the arrival of the ewes satisfyingly appropriate.

November 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger 6512 and growing said...

Some fine company you keep there in Veryork!

November 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Joleen said...

. . . and a partridge in a pear tree? Record a CAF 12 Days of Christmas song for sure! I love your blog and knowing you.

November 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger vcsnover said...

Jenna, I have been a fairly steady reader of your blog for about a year now. I have even called myself a fan of yours especially during your transition and successful purchase of your place in NY. Now I just think you're kind of lame. I say this after reading your sorry rationalization for an article on eating meat and how you are liberating factory farm animals by eating local and raising your own. I don't really have an issue with those that eat meat. Just the ones that make stupid excuses for themselves as to why they do it. I will no longer be a reader or subscriber to your blog, not that you care, but I feel compelled to tell you this nonetheless.

November 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

too bad vcsnover does not have the grace and intellectual vigour of George Monbiot

Engaging with the issue is the sign of moral and intellectual strength. Name calling is plain childish.

November 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

VCS, I am the same person who moved from Vermont to New York.

Sorry I let you down.

November 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

You have nothing to be sorry for. That was childish and ridiculous.

November 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger jules said...

So I guess June Carter is really gone then, eh? I'm so sorry.

November 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home