Friday, October 22, 2010

sal and taylor

I walked outside this morning and without meaning to, walked in on a very private moment between Sal and Maude. Not that it was all that private—since they were standing in middle of field—but clearly some oats were sewn.

I'm not worried about it. Every fall Sal gets frisky but nothing has come of it. He's been castrated. Twice. I was told this from the homesteading family I got him from. Apparently the first time didn't take, so the vet came back and clamped down a second time. Sal is supposedly a wether, but for a weather he is still packing heat, as his manhood is still pretty substantial. I suspected earlier in the year that Maude might be pregnant, but I was wrong. So perhaps he really isn't fertile? Sal's possible fathering ability is a mystery. Let's just say if there's an extra white lamb this spring: he's the baby daddy.

I'm off work today and spending the morning getting ready for company. My friend Taylor is coming up for a cold weekend in New York from the sunny south. She works in Nashville, and is hankering for seeing her breath in the morning. I told her we'd be getting up around 4:45 to pack the truck for a roadtrip Saturday morning to herd with Gibson at a sheep farm in Massachusetts. Then we have to also find time to buy a trailer full of hay, paint the new sheep barn, bottle the beer if it's ready, and other some such. She seemed excited about it all of it, which says to me she's exactly the kind of guest a small farm likes! So here's to our weekend and yours. I'll make sure to post photos of Gibson's lesson, painting, and any other trouble I get into.

13 Comments:

Blogger sgtt37 said...

have fun sweetheart

October 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

Have a great time! I'm hoping we get to see and/or hear about the results.

October 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Your weekend sounds great! Have a good time.

October 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Duck said...

Any ideas on whether or not Maude can conceive? I realize it's a long stretch though. Don't know, just a thought.

October 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Odd Ducks Farm said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend to me. For our part we'll working our rear's off in the house while hunkering down from the rain we're slated to get. Enjoy your time this weekend, Jenna. We look forward to pictures.

October 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

God's speed. Enjoy your adventure! daisy

October 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

My neutered male llama still tries to "get it on" with my older female llama, even though he is shooting blanks. But even if he weren't, I don't think there'd be results - he keeps tryin', but she's not buyin'. My old horse was neutered, too, but it didn't seem to dampen his ardor for the girls. Maybe you'll be surprised, though!

October 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Conny said...

That's all good 'trouble' if you ask me. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Good luck, Gibson. Cheers~

October 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Myownigloo said...

Enjoy the weekend!

October 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger CallieK said...

I flew from Toronto to Minneapolis to visit my best friend and she drove us eight hours to Wheatland, Iowa to make cheese, then we went to an heirloom seed and poultry farm and attended a Sat night street dance. Best vacation ever! I had to lie like a fiend to Canadian Customs on the way back otherwise they'd have confiscated my entire suitcase.

October 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

It isn't unheard of to have neutered dogs join with a female so who knows about this union. Apparently, for a brief period Maude was softened.

October 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Westfarm Goat Mom said...

My wether goats that truly are infertile still want to mount the females when they are in heat.

October 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger LilredWriting said...

I live 60 miles from Nashville and its getting chilly here at night. I hope she brings some cold weather back with her!

October 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home