Thursday, October 28, 2010

rose in a storm

I am really enjoying Rose in a Storm, the new novel by Jon Katz. The story is about a sheepdog dealing with a very bad situation: a blizzard in Washington County that all but destroys the farm and farmer she loves. Rose is the focus of the book, a 6-year-old working border collie based on his own by the same name. I'm about halfway into it and secretly enjoying the horror of such a storm on paper. To read about five feet of snow and white-out conditions when it's 67-degrees outside is a contrary decadence, but I think it's one of the underlying thrills of this book. It's a story that absolutely could, and might, happen. It could happen to me.

So I am diving into this hardcover. It's hard not to when you're a small farmer in the region of the story, but I think it transcends proximity. It is one of those books that has such visceral imagery of the weather it makes you want to curl up and read even more. So if you want the kind of book that requires a wool sweater, hot coffee, and a dog asleep at your feet: pick one up.

Jon will be doing public readings at Gardenworks in Salem, and here in Cambridge if you want to check him out live in the neighborhood.

8 Comments:

Blogger Flartus said...

Hi ho! Something to put on my Christmas wish list! Can't imagine a better way to spend Christmas day.

October 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You could definitely learn about what not to do from Jon Katz!

October 28, 2010 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I am well aware of his controversy: this isn't a character witness though, it's a fiction review!

October 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Jon is a really sweet person, and a terrific writer. He brought Rose to his book signing in Saratoga, and it was great to see how curious she was about the people and her surroundings. I know next to nothing about sheep-herding with dogs, so I can just enjoy his books without a critical eye.

October 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Karen L. said...

I am in the middle of reading this book also. A lot of the dare similar to what I have already read on his blog even though I know this book is fiction. Just like most if not all "new farmers", he has made his mistakes but he does own up to them just as you do, Jenna. Honesty prevails. It's refreshing!!! Good luck with your herding! I look forward to reading all about it. Still don't know how you have the time to do what you do.

October 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Karen L. said...

Sorry .... that was suppose to read "a lot of the descriptions are similar" .....

October 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Sounds like a great book. I will request it thru our local library system if it is available.

Just finished The Bucolic Plague. Loved it.

October 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Beegirl said...

Funny, I just checked his book 'Running to the Mountain' out from the library last night. Could not put it down! Will have to add this one to the list ~thanks!

October 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home