Monday, October 18, 2010

revival

The barn raising yesterday did more than build a structure: it lifted my spirits. I am feeling a renewed an energetic excitement towards homesteading I had not felt in months. Being outside with friends and farmers and throwing that work party was a blessing in so many ways. I loved getting up at the crack of dawn to back breads, muffins, and cakes for my helpers. I loved hoisting the 4x4s over my shoulder as I trudged up the hill to help build. I loved the measuring, handing over hammers and screws to the guys up in the rafters. All of it was watching a beginning. And when this barn is weather-beaten and broken in a few months later another beginning starts: lambs.

Perhaps it's the fact that it's fall again and I'm back into my month? Or maybe I'm just trilled about Halloween a few days away...But I know that tonight I have so much to plan for winter and instead of feeling scared or anxious: I'm downright excited. Excited to watch those new sheep in their new barn. Excited to bottle and share my bubbling beer. Excited to stack hay, pile wood, and hunker into the holidays. I'm still working on a farm sitter for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I'll figure it out and I'll keep up with it all online along the way.

P.S. The last winner never emailed me or checked in, so the new winner of the Maude Roving is Rosa from Alberta! If you are interested in getting a drop spindle with a bit of roving, email me, as I have about four or five more.

P.P.S. I am so behind on emails. If you emailed me and I didn't reply it's not for any social or mean reason! I simply am horribly behind!

7 Comments:

Blogger Thinkin' Out Loud said...

HI. I would be interested in a spindle I think. how much would you charge for one of them?

October 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Melanie J. said...

Are you familiar with http://www.farmgirlfare.com/? They are sheep and donkey farmers in MO...may be able to get tips as lambing gets near. I know zero about it, but they're a big operation with lambing pens. Great recipes too!

October 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Odd Ducks Farm said...

This post reminded me of our own revival this weekend - oddly due to our bedding the garden down for the winter. We pulled plants, we harvested the last of the veggies, tied the corn stalks into stooks to dry, and I finally got the heat lamp and day lamp into the coop for the winter. All of it was about closing down and getting ready to hibernate, yet it renewed in me the drive to keep working towards a self-sufficient life. We have been too centered on work and school lately, and this brought us all back to the mindset of the farm.

It was wonderful and I'm glad you got to experience something similar.

October 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

I know - and love - that feeling where something suddenly just seems to click again, and all of a sudden the inspiration and excitement is back and kickin', with plans flowing and ideas coming and everything ready to go. It can be hard sometimes to sustain, I find, but when it's there it's incredible, and makes all the effort and work in the not-so-thrilling times totally worth it, for me, anyway.

October 19, 2010 at 1:32 AM  
OpenID jennbenn said...

Congratulatiosn on your barn raising! I know your animals will appreciate the warm shelter soon!
I am interested in a spindle/roving if still available. I could not find your email!!
Mine is jennbennstar at yahoo dot com

October 19, 2010 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger hlbrack said...

Glad to hear you're feeling renewed in your love for homesteading! It's a tough place to be in when what you love just feels lackluster and stagnant. You sound as though you've got a very wonderful winter ahead of you! Thank goodness for friends who are willing to help us re-charge our batteries when we need it!

October 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Rosa said...

Whoo Hoo!!
Thanks Jenna.
I'll be emailing you right away! :D

October 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home