Monday, October 18, 2010

many faiths, one pasture.

After the shed was built and everyone who had helped had gone home I remained to let the sheep and Finn back into the main pen and reset the electric fence. It was dark by this point—and my stomach was gurgling from too much celebratory pizza—but my flashlight scurried around the wire lines, and one insulator at a time I got the wires ready for juice. Finally, through clouds of my warm breath I kneeled down to unlatch the main gate and let the sheep and goat back in to see their new digs. I watched like a new novelist opening up her first NY Times review...

Their review wasn't that intense. All the sheep looked at it, and then promptly walked around it. It was as if I spent my day doing nothing of interest at all. Finn however, stared at it with intense wonder. He looked it up and down. He tried to solve problems, cocked his head to the left and reached out a long neck to lick it. Then, deciding the only plan left was action: he headbutted the wall about fifteen times in a row. BAM THAWWAACK BAM! Once his faith was restored, he relaxed and joined the sheep for some hay and slumber in the front yard of the new barn. How funny that two species had an entirely different reaction to the structure? The woolies ignored it with a mld acceptance. The goat had a fiery passion to get his deepest questions answered.

Sheep are buddhists. Goats are Baptists.

25 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

No Goats are far more inquisitive than sheep. Any building we have put up the girls are right there lending a hoof. There are always exceptions to the rule for both species but having had both I must say goats are like Great Pyrenees: independent thinkers. But then one can't get fleece from dairy goats, ahhhhhhhh but the cheese!

October 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Natalie and Trip said...

Totally legit, Finn.

October 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Lol, amen sister.

October 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Alright. That made me laugh out loud.

October 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM  
OpenID tamitng said...

Amen from a recovering Southern Baptist. Love that goat.

October 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Okay ... yes I'm laughing too! Excellent analysis.

October 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Amen sister...preach it

October 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Sheep go to Heaven, goats go to Hell. ;-)

(and this is why you're either a sheep person or a goat person)

October 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM  
OpenID urbanadaptation said...

I love the differences between them - kind of makes me wonder how they view each other.

October 19, 2010 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Love that last description!

October 19, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger denise said...

knew i loved goats for some reason.....

October 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger bySarah said...

Delurking to say I couldn't stop laughing when I read this post. Actually, I'm still laughing.
Thanks for sharing your journey.

October 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Mountain Man said...

Now if only the animals knew this - then the wars and murder can begin.

October 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

JOEL! I have your cd, i just stink at facebook emails....

jenna@itsafarwalk.com

October 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Yup, I literally laughed out loud when I read this one. Thanks for the giggle, Jenna.

October 19, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

When I was growing up we had a complete managerie in one pasture. Two horses, one goat, one sheep and two cows. Linda, our toggenburg, was the boss. They would come up to the barn from the pasture in line, by pecking order. The goat, horse #1, horse #2, cow, cow and the sheep would always bring up the rear.
We had that goat for over 18 years and she was always at the head of the line.

October 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love goats!!! Loved today's post! I'm still smiling :)

October 19, 2010 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

That was very funny!

October 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger E said...

Will you have room for 5 (?) lambing jugs in the new barn or are you counting on well spaced lambing?

October 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

"Sheep are buddhists. Goats are Baptists." Laughed pretty hard at that.

Once the weather gets seriously crappy, they'll like it just fine, I'll wager.

At least you know it's up, and can breath easy you have a snug place for your herd.

October 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger unpackingtreasure said...

Oh, that was my laugh for the day! Actually, Christ refers to His followers as sheep..and He doesnt want any left out! :)

October 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Mountain Man said...

Ah - no worries Jenna - just saw this.

October 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Finn needed to know it wouldn't blow over in the next wind. So he had to test it out. Like an inspector. Inspector Finn.

I find my sheep (shetlands) to be conniving. They are just like Shaun the sheep and his pals.

October 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love the way you think, Jenna!

October 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
OpenID bethanial11 said...

LOL - thanks for the laugh! "Goats are baptist." That's great!

October 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home