Friday, October 15, 2010

leconte had a cap on her

This place is feeling more and more like home, especially on nights like this. There is a driving rain with flakes of ice in it. I now need gloves and a waterproof jacket to get work done. I currently have a plasticish cheap raincoat, the kind that's heavy and feels like it's made of a more flexible version of rubber boots. But with a wool sweater below it I am insulated and waterproof and the work can get done. It needs to get done. Someday I will find a used waxed cotton jacket like the great dogmen in Scotland wear when they work their sheepdogs in this weather. But you need to start somewhere. A Barbour Jacket is out of my budget right now.

I came home from work and did my evening chores in a cold rain. By the time everyone was fed (including me - leftover pasta) the world was wetter, colder, and darker. Yet inside this small house are thick walls and warm blankets. I haven't raised the thermostat above 58 yet, but with the tight home a simple night of laundry in the dryer and a cooked meal heat the place up so warm I am peeling off layers when I sleep. Right now there are three fluffy dogs and candlelight. Jazz and Annie look like wolves by a campfire when it hits them. Tonight I am sharing the dark with a cup of coffee and a scary movie (the Village) and I am so comfortable I am ready to call it at night after 8pm. It's Friday. Like I said, I'm a homebody.

You know you're going to become a farmer when you find out a coworker has to leave an upstate New York October for the Bahamas on business and you're gut reaction was. That sounds terrible...

I came in tonight from my final night rounds and saw that the livestock were all in their sheds and roosts. The rabbits were on their hay in the barn. I called for June Carter into the wind but nothing came of it. She's still gone.

They are calling for a few inches of snow tonight, up to six in elevations above 2,000 feet. I think this is special, but I've already been told there was snow in the Smokies a few weeks ago, that LeConte had a cap on her. Tennessee is always first, at least in my mind. That state is the reason you are reading this blog because Cold Antler Farm started at the bottom of a waterfall in the Smoky Mountains. That's another story though.

Tomorrow I am sleeping in. Without herding lessons to race off too—and not plans till I go buy barn-building supplies later in the afternoon—I see no reason not to revel in this warm house while the wind picks and howls outside.

I am fed. I am warm. I am tired.

I am glad.

24 Comments:

Blogger Odd Ducks Farm said...

So glad to hear it's becoming more like home for you. It takes time, but nights like this that you describe do help quite a bit.

October 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

Sounds like my home on the coast of Maine. Three GSDs and 2 Maine Coon cats lounging about at 60 degrees. Everyone fed and comfy. The meat birds have water and food, the meat buns have food, water and greenery and the laying flock including turks are cozy in their house. Time for bed and another chapter of The Bucolic Plague. Thanks for recommending it Jenna

October 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger becky3086 said...

Sounds like a nice evening though I think I could do without the icy rain. I LOVE The Village! Enjoy!

October 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger kringsrud said...

You are blessed.

October 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Lara^Katherine Mountain^Colley said...

Thank you for always inspiring me with visions of coziness on chilly mornings and evenings. Every hardworking farmgirl has to remember to take a break and enjoy it!

October 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

A photo of the outdoors weather tonight at Cold Antler would have been nice to see for those of us still stuck in the heat of Texas LOL.

October 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Post like this make me wish, at least for a little while, that I lived somewhere with more distinct seasons. We're having our fall cool-down earlier than usual here in FL, though, and I'll take that. :)

I love the contrast between cold outside and warm, cozy inside. Makes me want to snuggle in and never leave.

October 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Tanja said...

Dude, sorry to be a buzzkill, but where are you reading that you're getting snow? It's in our forecast, but not until Tuesday or so. From what I see in Rupert, which I believe is close to you, it's just a rain prediction. Even if it snows, it'll just spit for a while. Trust.

October 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Cool in the morning here, wool sweater and a cap, warm in the afternoon. Black powder deer season starts tomorrow, lots of activity.

Puppy, TuTu and I will probably take the Bronco and go to Saline County just to look.

Probably won't snow until after Christmas.

October 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I wanted to tell you that after only 2 days after purchasing your book, "Made From Scratch," I am enlightened and renewed in both heart and soul. Having struggled with many small-farm experiences as you have, both traumatic, and some blissfully enjoyable, I am reminded to slow down, relax, and enjoy all that life has to offer.
Thank you for a most wonderful, funny, book - even the family wanted me to read it to them through my laughter.

October 16, 2010 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Jenna, I am so happy it is feeling like home. I was thinking about you this morning and I asked for someone wonderful to be sent your way to share your life with. Only because you are ready for it. What a role model you are to all of us not to "wait" on your dreams. You should be speaking at your local schools. Girls need to hear about your strength and independence! Love, Cathy

October 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger mandy_farmer said...

lol. I saw "Bahamas" before I read what you wrote and thought, "Eww! You can't snuggle up and read a book in the Bahamas!" I'm with ya, an old farmhouse, all your animals warm, dry and fed...it's pretty much the most calming feeling in the world.

October 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger mandy_farmer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Hollow Bone Dream said...

TN is wonderful this time of year..
wouldn't want to live any where else :)

Denise in TN

October 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger jim said...

love your blog-keep chugging girl- sometimes i think you overload though

October 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

Once again, you're absolutely beautiful, romantic writing has me in awe. I'm so thankful that I can share in the bliss that simple things bring me. thank you. To you, your blog entries are to share with us, to us your blog entries are to share with you...it's all an interconnected series of wonderful circles. sorry, I'm feeling pretty deep this morning.

On another note, I agree with Cathy, you should take some of your talent to the local schools. I'm sure that hearing your story, your struggles, some girls would get great strength, and maybe realize their own independence. Our little girls in the world need all the help they can get, to be shown they don't have to grow up in the way the society dictates. Does that make sense? Sorry, again, feeling deep this morning. :)

October 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

I have felt an oddity in the past for my early bedtimes in the autumn and winter but now I realise I simply follow natures natural rhythmn.At the peak of summer I am still up and doing stuff come 10~11pm but once autumn is here that swiftly pulls in.The past few nights I have been in bed with my book by 8.30pm,bliss as far as I am concerned!Once the winter solstice swings past i tend then to be in bed for 9pm but the next few weeks as the clocks go back and night comes in faster and i can shut the hens away earlier!then i will be hitting the bed even as early as 7.30pm.
When the days are short theres the same amount of work to do but less time to do it in so I work in faster bursts lol! therefore am worn out quicker so early to bed, an hour with a good book and all is well with the world x x xx x
GTM x
ps of course I get up darned early so that all weighs in why I am pretty much ready to call it a day before most folks have sat down to supper lol!!
dang am messing up commenting here its hard with a broken finger!!!

October 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

I laughed at the bahamas thing too.. ha! We farm folks are happy being at home, arent we? Friends from my former corporate life cant believe I don't want to travel anymore. 8pm sounds like a fine bed time.

btw, I've noticed more deleted comments - sorry that some folks dont have anything nice to say. Keep up the great work, honey.

October 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Oh I don't delete the comments, they are deleted by folks who write them, the comment "author" not me. Usually people just correct their own spelling or delete a double post. but soon as you hit "comment" it is emailed to me, so i get it even if you delete it.

October 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

yes that last deleted was me,i had typed my google password in at the end of the post so didnt want that published lol!!
GTM x

October 17, 2010 at 3:27 AM  
Blogger mandy_farmer said...

I deleted a couple of mine because my computer must have stuttered or something because it posted the same thing like 3 times in a row. LOl

October 17, 2010 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Irma said...

Not a homesteader (yet...sigh...) but I have always said that bad weather is the most comforting thing in the world. I love those nasty, nasty days when all is safe and secure, you know you don;t have to venture far....it's the time you really appreciate what your home does for you.

October 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Spring Lake Farm said...

Mt. LeConte probably my most favorite place on earth!

Sandy

October 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home