Thursday, September 9, 2010

i have a pumpkin and i'm not afraid to use it

I bought a pumpkin at Gardenworks this weekend. A small one, just big enough to make a few loaves of pumpkin bread or muffins, but large enough to still make a fine jackolantern. Tonight I'll fill the house with smells of baking pumpkin and lantern light. With the clouds and rain it'll make everything seem safer, warmer. These past few days have been overcast and blustery. I was outside around dusk with Gibson, watching the trio of crows in the dead limbs of trees high above the farm barking at us. Everywhere around me were the leaves of the big maple. The dry summer may have stopped another season of Blight in the garden, but it also is causing an early foliage turn. All the October tourists will be finding a lot of empty trees. September will be our peak, mark my words.

I am happiest when I need wool wrapped around me, rubber boots against damp earth, and the sky is swirling and overcast. I adore precipitation: rainy days, storms, and snow. The weather that makes us stop and hunker down with books and mugs. I like being outside in it too. There is something a little more tangible about those damp days. The world has a stronger grip on you. You're forced to pay more attention: to how you drive, what you wear, and even if you cupboard has all the right supplies for hot chocolate or tea. I like working outside in a cold mist and getting sweaty, feeling the heat of work bounce back against my skin off wool. I like seeing my breath swirl, hearing distant wind and then seeing it rush into the trees. I like seeing the crows scurry like buckshot, their sounds calm me, very much so.

I don't ever want to be too far from crows and cold wind. That would be just awful.

16 Comments:

Blogger farmer at heart said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger farmer at heart said...

Man, you said it. Your imagery was so powerful I could FEEL all the autumns of my first 26 years when I lived in PA. I love "hunkering down", making a warm blanket nest, feeling the damp chilly outside on the tips of your nose and toes long after you've come inside. The colors, the wind, the clouds, the impossibly bright blue skies, the chrysanthemums, the pumpkins-ahhh!!

The weather here in Vegas has just started to flirt with Southern Nevada's version of fall, and while I embrace it for what it is, it's a pale ghost compared to the robust and colorful autumns that I cut my teeth on. Drink a cup of hot chocolate and stand out in the fall rain for me, will ya? Just for a minute though :)

September 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Conny said...

Crows (and Bluejays) bring me comfort in the exact same way. I perked up a bit to hear the return of the Bluejays to my oak tree the other day. I wondered where they'd gone to all summer.

Thanks again for the imagery. :>)

September 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger ~ Janis said...

Trees are naked here in about 12 hours, all their dry, britle leaves dropping in a clump. You are correct: September will be peak. I also have my beloved flannel sheets and turtle necks out and ready to go. yay!

September 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

We are coming into spring here, and I think it's that little change that you notice ever single day that makes your brain work overtime planning, planning and planning some more. Like the sudden rise in night time temperatures from below freezing to a balmy 10 degrees, and buzz of lawn mowers around the neighborhood.

Seasons changing is such an esciting time! I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Have a wonderful weekend with your pumpkin adventures!

September 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger ashley english said...

i hear ya. i love the wetness. it's because we're water signs, you know...

glorious prose, per usual.

September 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Oh, yeah, hello autumn...and Samhain. Bring on the pumpkins, cool air, ravens, and falling leaves.

September 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Harpy 101 said...

Jenna Prose. Gotta have it. We've got 3 more weeks of Hot and Dry here in Colorado, which is often followed by an epic deadly snowstorm. But there will be at least one Real Autumn day, or hour, or minute...and I'm ready for it now!

September 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Me too! All of it!

September 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Manzanita Farms said...

You are definitely a "Fall" kinda girl. I love summers but you actually just made me look forward to fall. No small feat!!

September 9, 2010 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Infinite Possibilities said...

Jenna-girl,

Can I have your pumpkin muffin recipe?

:)

September 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Infinite Possibilities said...

Jenna-girl,

Might we have your beautiful pumpkin muffin recipe? MMmmmmm....pumpkin muffins. They sound to-die for!!

S

September 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger leafonatree said...

Yes to all of the above! I love that time of year. I'm still waiting for it in my neck of the woods. ;)

September 10, 2010 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger adrienne callander said...

Down here in Kentucky, it was unusually cool last weekend - I took a nap in a thick soft sweater, the unhemmed linen curtains lifting into the room on the easy breezes. Thanks for the Northeast echo.

September 10, 2010 at 2:11 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Sometimes I think you and I were relatives in a past life! lol! You just described how I feel about fall to a T! I went out at 5:30 to see my DH off to work, and got so excited to see my breath! It's been so terribly hot and dry here in Ky(little to no rain for almost 2 months) that I could hardly contain myself standing there in a light drizzle, watching my breath puff out! I stood there like a child just poofing away while my husband laughed at me!

The weather still isn't this northern girl's definition of fall, but with the gray skies and cool rain, I can pretend. Today we'll fire up the oven, for the first time in months, and bake some zucchini bread. It'll be a real treat!

Blessings,
Debi

September 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

crows and cold wind... you have a lovely way with turning a phrase.

September 11, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home