Monday, September 27, 2010

the family and the cow

I just spent the last twenty minutes outside in a downpour feeding a baby bottle the size of a gallon milk jug to a very excitable calf. I am amazed at how fast he sucked down the formula, and grateful for the calf feeding 101 lecture I got from Tasty's owner pre-feeding dates. "Don't hold it in front of your body like this" Tim said, as he held the bottle out with two hands exactly like I assumed I should "Cause they buck the bottle, and send it flying into your gut or face with enough force to break a nose. Hold it to the side, like this..." And that is exactly how I was feeding the youngest/largest animal on the farm tonight. In my slicker, while the wet chickens paraded around me looking for corn and June Carter wailed for her evening food. It was a very loud, very wet, scene.

Tasty was dropped off here Sunday morning, the last morning of my parent's visit to the farmhouse. I don't think either of us ever thought we'd get a chance to say the phrase "We'll put off brunch until after the holstein is settled in" but we did. And we did.

The weekend was wonderful: three days with my sister and parents. We spent it doing things I rarely do like eating out and watching movies with Chinese take-out. It was so nice to sit back with some lo mein and watch an action movie with the family, like when we were kids in our basement (which was converted into a family room/den of sorts). We also got to hit up the Southern Adirondak Fiber Festival and my dad bought me a 16x20" print of three sheep (two white, one brown) for the farm house. I bought some cleaned wool to card and spin. We spend the bulk of our time walking around around the festival enjoying cider donuts, catching up, petting sheep, and making dinner plans. I had a great weekend, and I miss them already

P.S. If you are coming to the wool workshop this weekend, please let me know? It's from 10-2 at the farm. And you get to meet a bonus cow!

P.P.S. I know the bull calf isn't a "cow". But I like calling all bovines cow 'cause it's a whimsical word to say at a sheep farm.

P.P.P.S I have been asked what kind of camera I use? A. The cheapest digital Kodak the Coeur d'Alene Target had before I moved to Vermont. It cost $103 dollars three years ago, and it's so worn out that all you can read of the original logo is "dak". Also, my iphone.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

The show sounds like it was a good one. Are you going to Vermont Sheep and Wool next Saturday? It was very nice last year. Do you have a spinning wheel as well as a spindle? Your hat came out very nice. You could even spin Gibson's undercoat in the spring when he blows his coat. Makes very warm clothing. I bet the husky's have a great undercoat to spin too.

September 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

I thought of you yesterday as two ladies walked down my road with 3 dogs in following. 1 was a border collie and my first thought was "I wonder what his job is?"

September 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Nancy are you serious about being able to spin a dogs winter coat? Because I will be shaving my dog earlier this coming year before he matts up and I was wondering if I could actually do that.

September 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

You absolutely can spin a dogs winter undercoat. I send German Shepherd undercoat to my spinning sister in law seasonally. A double coated dog should never be shaved down. If the undercoat is removed by good grooming the guard coat will protect the dog from the elements. When a double coated dog is shaved it takes two growth/shed cycles for it to return to normal and some never do.
By spring, Gibson should have some good undercoat to spin. A friend of mine used GSD undercoat as the ear part of a hat and it is too warm for anything but below 0 days.

September 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

Speaking of fiber animals, have you ever considered getting alpacas, Jenna? We visited some this weekend - they're lovely, sweet, cute creatures, and their coast are silky soft.

September 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I think alpacas are great, but sheepdogs don't move alpacas and you can't eat them!

No camels at Cold Antler, at least not now.

But they are cool.

September 27, 2010 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

re: camera: oh- so you're just gifted...

September 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Nonobjective paula! I just always turn off the flash and get down to the animals' perspective.

September 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger MistySeptember said...

What a nice weekend! When will they put the "baby" on a bucket? We live on a dairy farm and by two months our little guys have been on a bucket for weeks. We still have to hold the bucket, but it sure beats the bottle deal. It takes WAY less time to feed once they are on a bucket. Tasty is mighty cute!

September 28, 2010 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger Maryland Sled Dog Adventures said...

You can definitely spin dogs' fur. SOS-RF (Save our Siberians Rescue Fund) will spin fur that is mailed to them and the money goes to the rescue. I don't spin my Siberians' fur but several of my siberian owning friends do spin.

http://www.sos-srf.org/FurSpinning.html

September 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm with Paula - you take really good pictures, so I was expecting you to have a really fancy camera! I'm very impressed you take such good pics with a 'normal' camera.

September 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home