Thursday, September 23, 2010

equinox

It's the Autumnal Equinox, and the farmer is glad. Cold Antler is slowly sighing into the end of our year. I used to see a year's time as January to January, but that is no longer the case. My 2010 started when the ground thawed in March and will end around Halloween. This is the Northeastern-American time table of food-starting with snap peas and broccoli starts and ending with an apple cider pressing party next weekend. The spring, summer, and fall are my new time measurement and the winter a purgatory or planning and reckoning. I like this way of learning the world and following time. I makes sense to me.

The scorecard's been tallied and it turns out all the mistakes were lessons, the arguments conversations, and the frustrations more character. Living closer to the land can be as poetic and spiritual as you want it to be, but for me it's mostly realizing I'm a work in progress. I'll cultivate myself along the way, too.

Gibson starts his first herding lessons soon. A whole new chapter of my life starts the day I grab his leather lead and we step out of the truck together at our instructor's farm. It's a long time coming. I will let out such a sigh of relief when I stand in the training pasture by his side. We made it this far. We'll farm together. He's my friend, partner, and future. I adore my black dog.

I feel like I am always at the beginning, no longer how much I do this dance. At one time that may have frustrated me, but I am starting to learn the passion and excitement of a beginner's mind is worth the hassle. A mind is a lot like produce: it's better fresh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Silent said...

There I was, admiring the photograph of Winthrop eyeing the dulcimers set out on your porch, when *pop* today's post appeared as if by magic. And this little gift came not from hard work on my part, but only a timid press of the F5 key.

Anyhow, and more on topic with today’s post, I clearly remember when I moved to Washington State after living in more southerly climes my whole life - only to find that the clear and sharp changes from season to season changed my whole sense of time. New Year's Day became less of a milestone than the first green shoots in March (or April, or May). The start of school, while momentous for my children, was less significant for me than the first crisp morning in fall when I could see my breath. The cooing of my chickens and the chatter of my children is constant. But the change of seasons brings new sights and sounds each day of the year. Though autumn will always be my favorite, I now enjoy all the changes and wonder, silently, how I could have ignored them for so long.

September 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

"A mind is a lot like produce: it's better fresh."

One of the more pithy things you've ever written, and none truer. A real Jenna-ism.

September 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh yeah- I meant to wish you a Happy Autumn yesterday, but I've been busy this week. So Happy Autumn!

September 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

The wheel keeps turning. You may feel as though you're back at the beginning but you never step in the same river twice.

September 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Welcome to the Pagan calendar!

September 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I read you blog every day. I hear you, I feel like I am always at the 'beginning' of my growth process too. As to why I read you, (from your next post?)...I admire your abilities to do 'this' alone. I am going through a divorce (husband walked out) and I have my three children along for the ride. It is not anything new, lots of people have gone through what I am wading through, but for me it has been incredibly, horribly hard. Inspired by you, you were the first blog I started following (after reading your book) I am now blogging and it helps. I love the writing process, it helps so much. I admire all that you do, without much complaining or lamenting.I like your style. Keep it up!

September 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home