Friday, September 17, 2010

the bucolic plague

I rarely recommend books on this blog, and that's not because there aren't great books out there about small-scale farming and homesteading—it's because I have barely any time to read. Running Cold Antler and holding down a job have made 98% of my reading time of the audio variety. I have listened to stories read to me by authors (Usually three or four a week. Thank you public library), but rarely do I sit down and read the old fashioned way.

For this book, I had to. It wasn't available at the library or on iTunes, so I bought The Bucolic Plague. It was wonderful. A memoir of a Manhattan couple who bought a 60-acre farm on a whim and ended up falling in love with it. The writer, Josh Kilmer-Purcell (ex drag queen turned advertising executive) is hilarious, smart, and keenly observant about everything going on in his life, with Brent, and 88-boarded dairy goats in Sharon Springs, NY. The story of how they found home, built a farm, and became a part of a town is honest. This is not the sappy "city-turned-country" feel-good book. Instead it's a romance, between two worlds and two people, and how both need to adapt to change and personal (and financial) adversity.

I read the book in two days. When it was over I ended up on their website and watching their TV show on iTunes. This weekend is their annual Harvest Festival in Sharon Springs, just an hour and a half south of Jackson. I don't think I can make the trip, but I will one of these fall weekends to visit the store and say hello.

21 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

Jenna, thanks for the recommendation. I have had my eye on this book for the last two weeks. I reserved it at the local bookstore. Thank you internet and e-mail!

September 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Shanda said...

So strange, my father-in-law just let me borrow this yesterday! He read it in two days as well.

September 17, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Toni aka irishlas said...

These guys are great.

September 17, 2010 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I've been watching their show and its wonderful! Finally a reality show that is "clean" and you can actually learn something!

September 17, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I love that book! Definitely read his earlier one, I AM NOT MYSELF THESE DAYS - very different, but hilarious and thought-provoking.

September 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Rois said...

We tried watching their show and were very disappointed, too much Martha influence for my tastes.

September 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I love these guys. They are hilarious and endearing. I found their show on Planet Green and watched it all summer. I can't wait to get this book!!

September 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Jenna, if this book is on amazon and you link to it, you earn $ from everyone who uses your link to buy it...didn't know if you were aware of that...I will hold off buying it just in case.

September 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger ashley english said...

i'm totally smitten. from josh and brent, right on down to farmer john and the profuse love he feels for his flock, these men truly are fabulous. were i any closer, i'd be at that harvest festival in a flash!

September 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Jamie @ Woodside Gardens said...

I agree, their show is wonderful, and now I have a new book on my list!

September 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

I LOVE their show! I actually have this book on order. Now I really can't wait to read it.

September 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I forgot I wanted to read this, so thanks. I just placed a hold on the only copy in our library system. Needless to say, I'm in line for it....

September 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger 6512 and growing said...

Thanks - it's on my library list!

September 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Yes. I have been planning on reading this. I love the show. Also, I would love to come up, when I can, for a fiddle workshop. Have fun with the dulcimers!

September 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

I just ordered it. Thanks for the mentitoning it.

September 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger LadyA said...

Today's my birthday and I am aware of how much MFS has affected my life. I started the day making the pastry for my 3 egg quiche dinner. Left it in the fridge while I treasure hunted at the local thrift store - scored a cowboy hat and an old coffee perc! Later on I played my fiddle and messed around with my new banjo; I'm learning "Barbara Allen". I just wanted to thank you, Jenna, for bringing all this simple joy into my life :) It really is a big time.

September 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Tami and I are getting up early tomorrow morning and heading to Sharon Springs for the Harvest Fest and we hope to meet Josh and Brent!!

September 17, 2010 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

I'm a readaholic so always looking for a good book. Our library has, yea!

September 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

I just requested it from my local library group. I live in a very small town and my local library doesn't have it, but they can get it from a library in our group.
Thanks for the recommendation.

September 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger South Brunswick Public Library Blog said...

I am almost done reading this and I love it - we had it right on our new books shelf out front! Can't say enough abt it - thanks for the ref!

September 20, 2010 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Emmett said...

Looks good. I requested it from the library... just have to wait for the 22 other readers who got there before me!

September 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home