Monday, September 20, 2010

bookshelves and refrigerators

..tell you a lot about a person, I suppose. Mine has everything from a tin chocolate mold of a running hare to an old letterpress postcard from Knoxville. There's a photo my father took of my mom holding puppy Gibson, magnets, stickers, and more. It's maybe twelves inches of space and covers a small personal history. Neat.

When Sara came up this weekend for the dulcimer workshop/jam she brought her camera. She took a lot of farm photos and many of them weren't of the farm at all. She got glimpses of cabinets and magnets, smiling coats and backs of trucks. When she puts up the set on flickr I'll post a link so everyone can take a "tour" of the joint.

The weekend workshop was super casual. Since it was just three of us: Sara, Kat, and Iā€”there was less structure than I originally planned. We mostly just sat outside and strummed away, learning bits of songs and chords and talking. We ate pizza from the garden and apple cake I baked earlier that morning. It was a fine, sunny afternoon of cider and new and old friends.

Next weekend my family comes up for a long overdue visit. I've missed them very much. The plan was to help run the CAF booth at the fiber festival but now it looks like I might have to cancel. The mill just told me this week I won't have any yarn for three weeks, which means I'd have no fiber to sell at the fiber event...Oh, well. Perhaps it is for the best? We'll get to spend the weekend outdoors or being together instead of split up running an event and then all of them having to run home right after. There's always next year, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger treehuggers kitchen said...

"bookshelves and refrigerators can tell a lot about a person" I like that. I wonder what mine would say about me. My bookshelves contain Mother Earth News, Barbara Kingsolver, The Encyclopedia of Country Living, then one whole shelf dedicated to a homesteading group that I'm a part of and my garden notes. Hmmm...I think I like what it says about me. :)

September 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

My refrigerator has a to-do list and my bookshelves are VERY diverse, wonder what that says.

-Brenda

September 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

Very neat post, Jenna! I will look forward to the home pics on Flicker! Sometimes, the way things turn out is the way it's meant to be...for the best! Sounds like it will be a wonderful time with your parents. As the mother of three wonderful (of course) grown children, I know how much I miss them. I know your parents miss you too!

September 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger bookjunky said...

Waiting until next year will give you more time to plan and stockpile goods to to sell. Going this year seemed enthusiastic and ambitious but impetuous. If you haven't been to the festival before (or even if you have) good to go check it out, take photos and get ideas on what to sell and how to sell it. You have a different eye for the event when you are going as a prospective vendor...

Looking forward to seeing photos. My fridge and bookshelves say a lot about me if anyone looks. Also my desk. All are very messy, eclectic and show a love of old things and humor.

September 20, 2010 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Damn The Broccoli said...

Good thing about wool, it doesn't have a best before. I've heard of people who stockpile of little herds until the market price is favourable.

September 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger twistie said...

MY fridge is covered with great quotes, pics of my kids and the farm, artwork by my children and a great diverse mix on the book shelves! I like it! Great post!

September 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home