Thursday, August 12, 2010

here i am

There was a package hanging from my mailbox when I got home. I immediately recognized the name, David Shearer, and smiled. David and the Shearer family are shepherds in California. On a recent trip out east David contacted me and shared a cup of coffee with Gibson and myself at Common Grounds in Cambridge. We sat outside the cafe and talked about his farm, my farm, and our experiences in getting started. It was a brief, but kind, visit.

So when I opened the box and pulled out a pair of giant truck magnets reading "Cold Antler Farm - Jackson NY" I grabbed my breath in m y throat and just stared at it. I laughed a little at the irony. I had just given up my truck's green plates and now I had a much larger set to slap on the sides of the pickup. RIght there in the driveway I put on magnet on the tailgate and stepped back. I took in the whole scene. The white house, the recently mowed lawn, the sweeping old Maple, the sheep on the hillside, the chickens scurrying past the front door.... and then returned my focus to the sign on the back of my truck. Cold Antler Farm. Here I am.

Thank you, David.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Sweet!

August 12, 2010 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Oh, yeah. Definitely "sweet."

August 12, 2010 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

The sign is very nicely done and looks great on your red truck.

August 12, 2010 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Affi'enia said...

Awsome. That definitely looks sweet!

August 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM  
Blogger Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Yeah, Jenna! it's like you've arrived and hung your sign!
You meet awesome people when you put yourself out there, don't you?

August 12, 2010 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Very cool!

August 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Very cool! Love the sign.

Does New York require a commercial license plate for the sign to be on the truck? Or is that just another example of Ohio analrentiveness?

August 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Living the dream - congratulations!

August 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

So fabulous. It's all you, girl! daisy

August 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Awesome!

August 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Damn The Broccoli said...

Is that a green house in the background?

August 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I think so? It wasn't taken at my place: at the riding stables.

August 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger pebbledash said...

What a lovely sight...and what a generous and thoughtful gift.

August 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Conny said...

It makes me smile to see your new signage on the truck! So very cool.

August 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

What a cool gift! What a cool guy to give it to you!

August 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger twistie said...

SWEET! Trying really hard not to covet!! Looks great too!

August 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

How cool is that! What a fine thing for David to do! Looks great on the truck by the way.

August 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Stargazer 2 said...

JENNA,
The GREEN is the absolute correct color for the magnetic sign for CAF because, yes you are
on the long winding road of grow-ing COLD ANTLER FARM!!!
And what an awsome "THANK YOU" for your BLOG which has helped
so many, & undoubtly will help many
more in the future!!!
CHEERS with a health drink!!!
Ronnie

P.S. I wish I would have thought of
that, & a lot of others probably did too!!!

August 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger Silent said...

. . . and I'm sure it was made all the sweeter by the fact that it came unlooked for from an old friend.

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home