Sunday, August 29, 2010

finn's return

The side door to the mini van opened and I caught my breath. Standing in the back, taking up all the space there was to take, stood a grown man. The little toddler I had bottle fed on the cabin porch was no more. Before me was a sturdy caprine who's shoulders came up to my hips with long, curved, horns. He had the exact same eyes though, yellow and childish. He started to nicker and I smiled when the sound was exactly the sound I left this past winter. How could such an animal still sound like a little kid?

It was so good to see him. I had tried to ignore missing him. If I didn't think about Finn I could focus on other things. Part of me worried I'd never have the fences he needed (part of me still worries about that) or he'd me miserable as the lone caprine laughing in a pile of wool. But he seemed good, healthy, and strong as an ox. All I could do now is pray the fences would hold and no horns pierced anything but tree trunks.

I lead him into the sheep pasture and unsnapped his collar to see what would happen next. Sal, Maude, and Joseph watched from their corners of the hillside. None of them looked thrilled. I knew Sal would trot down here and challenge the goat but wasn't sure what would happen next. Would Finn leap through the sheep field fence? Would he fight back? Did he know what those horns (the size of my forearm) could do to a pissy sheep? I watched from the other side of the gate.

Sal and Maude did chase him around a bit. Sal knocked him over twice. Joseph watched. He had no interest in smacking a goat around, and I laughed when I realized he was watching a black sheep for the first time.

After those initial introductions all went well. Finn walked up the hill to the shed and the others returned to their grazing. The goat curled up under the shade of the apple tree and looked around the new farm. I watched him swat flies with his ears and nod his head up and down. I know he was just avoiding the bugs, but I like to pretend it was approval.

Thank you Abi and Bobbie, for watching my boy. I hope to return the favor some day.

18 Comments:

Blogger daisy said...

Ah, home sweet home. Welcome back Finn!

August 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger ashley english said...

Yeah! Congrats on getting your boy back!

August 29, 2010 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Affi'enia said...

Yay Finn's back. Ah he is such a beautiful goat!

August 29, 2010 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger R Dean said...

Wow, what a wonderful thing! Glad you were able to get Finn back and introduce him to your new place and his new home!!

August 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

He really is a handsome goat. No wonder your breath caught.

August 29, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Awwww....the boy Finn...all grown up! :-)
**Tami

August 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

and amount of time it took him to bust through the fence.... less than 24 hours....

uh oh.

August 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Now the fun begins. ;)

August 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

He sure has become a big boy.

-Brenda

August 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger T.C. said...

I love happy endings!

August 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger pleintexasgirl said...

Yeah, a goat looks at a fence as something that is just a suggestion. They will get their horns tangled in fencing too. I finally had to send my pet mohair, Sugar, to go live on a big ranch. Hope you have better luck, but be ready!

August 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Hunington said...

Speaking from experience, no fence will hold back a curious goat except for an electric one. Goats are extraordinarily strong, crafty, persistent, and can leap 8 feet. Once I installed a two-wire electric fence (1 high, 1 low) I never had another escape. Before that, it was daily, with one memorable escape ending with my Toggenberg in my neighbor's bathroom while he was taking a shower.

August 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Tobi said...

Hooray! I'm so glad that Finn is home!!

August 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Thinkin' Out Loud said...

I'm so glad your home is all coming together! I have wanted animals for awhile and I do have 6 hens, a bunny, and a few dogs but I have wanted a goat or two and maybe some ducks. I definatly want bees but my close neighbor is sadly severely allergic to bees.
I have enjoyed your book, which lead me to this blog and your farm. Thanks for the inspiration.

August 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

just got a charger, polyrope, and t-post connects...hoping this electric wire across the top is a proper help.

August 29, 2010 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Sounds like it's always new adventures and new things to learn! Look at those handsome, mighty horns! Big boy Finn!

August 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Farmer's Daughter said...

Congrats!

August 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

yipppeeeee! Now we need a Finn shirt on cafe press to celebrate his return :) Speaking of which the Maude shirt have been out of stock forever which makes me sad.

August 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home