Wednesday, August 11, 2010

perseids

Dear Friends,

Please, go to VPR.net and download the Eye On The Sky Stargazing Party show.It will be available later tonight or tomorrow and you can burn it to a CD or MP3 player. Then, take a boom box or your ipod, a blanket, and find yourself a dark place to watch the sky. From tonight until the 14th of August the Perseid meteor showers are going on and tonight in Jackson they were breathtaking. I saw one so bright and close it was as thick as my pinky held up to the sky and as white as heat. You'll have to start the show at 9pm to make sense of where things are in the sky, but I'm pretty sure if you're in the northern hemisphere you will be able to follow along. I adored this. I think I started a new tradition tonight.

-j

9 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Tonight and tomorrow night are the best nights, Jenna, but I was out last night and it was pretty spectacular, too! Best time is actually after midnight, when the radiant is higher in the sky and when earth is literally facing into the shower. I find the best meteors are often between 3 -5 am, so you can also just get up super early to watch them, for folks who don't want to stay up late.

And remember, the Orionids and Geminds are coming this fall and winter, respectively. They're nice showers as well!

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger LadyA said...

I was just whinging to dh at dinner this evening that we can't get VPR. Thanks so much for the link. Now my whole family has a date with the sky tomorrow night. Yay!

August 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger LadyA said...

OMG I have to make the VPR Maple Shortbread Cookies to go with those meteors. Find the recipe right underneath the download.

August 11, 2010 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger 宋張建宇瑞正 said...

老天爺賦予了強者的能力,就是要他比弱者多擔待..................................................

August 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

little rain or clouds here ALL summer, it was cloudy last night! Hoping for a better view tonight.

August 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM  
Blogger Sonny Jobe said...

You can always listen online from VPR's website. Here is the "Eye on the Sky" link http://www.vpr.net/program_about/57/

August 12, 2010 at 7:04 AM  
OpenID beckyinvt said...

I listened live last night, as I do every time they have a sky watching party. Gotta love VPR!

August 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Siberian said...

Unfortunately it's supposed to be cloudy tonight, and possibly tomorrow where I am. Really hoping that this clears up so I can watch too!

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger crowjoy said...

We had the most amazing night sky last night! Now I know what we lucked onto. Note to self: read every day so you don't miss out! :)

August 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home