Sunday, August 15, 2010

homebrewing 101

I got an email about root beer, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed making it last summer. So I decided to put a pot of homebrew on the stove tonight with directions. Check back and see how easy it is to procure your own DIY carbonation. I'll be making a few quarts of either root beer or birch beer. I think soda is a perfect introduction to homebrewing. It's a short, harmless (well, try not to use glass...mostly harmless), two-week curing process and ends with good inexpensive soda for floats and post-fence building music jams. I'll be using a store-bought base (not actual birch roots) but even if it's a kit soda: it's still kinda of neat learning to make it yourself. Check back for more tonight.

UPDATE: Out of sugar (well, soda making-amounts) and will have to do this tomorrow night. I'm sorry!

3 Comments:

OpenID canttalkdyeing said...

I did exactly the same thing, started off with ginger beer made from scratch (delicious!) and now I've been brewing actual beer for about a year. It's amazing, so much tastier, and cheaper, I'll only ever drink storebought if I run out.

August 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Of all the things to make at home, I never would have thought to make my own soda.

I'll be checking back to see how it went :-)

August 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Fujisawa Rob said...

I tried a kit with our son, but it didn't carbonate. I think the yeast was stale. A friend who brews suggested champagne yeast since it's more hardy.

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home