Tuesday, August 3, 2010

fall workshops!

I'll be hosting three weekend workshops here at Cold Antler. One will be an intro-to-fiddling, another will be wool 101, and the other will be intro-to-mountain dulcimer. All three workshops will be on Saturdays and be four hours long with home-baked snacks and coffee. The workshops are as follows:

Beginner Southern Mountain Fiddle: August 28th If you ever wanted to learn to play the fiddle: this is for you. Show up with your fiddle and bow, and we'll go through all the basics to get you started. You'll learn to tune, hold, and bow. You'll learn the finger positions and start your first tune. Everyone is required to bring an inexpensive beginner book called "Old Time Fiddling for the Complete Ignoramus" but between that book and some one-on-one instruction you'll be well on your way to playing sweet music by Halloween. Includes a farm tour and general lollygagging around CAF at break time to practice your music in the pasture or outside with the chickens. Class limit is 6, first come first served. Email for details and to reserve a spot at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

Beginner Southern Mountain Dulcimer: September 18th Learn to tune, strum, and play beautiful music on the mountain dulcimer. Class starts with basics and how to read tablature and then takes us outside under the maple on quilts with cider and more music. You'll need to bring a dulcimer (I can suggest inexpensive models for beginners) but no need for a book. I'll have some beginner music waiting for you. Just like the fiddle class, this includes a farm tour and general lollygagging around CAF at break time to practice your music and meet the animals. Class limit is 6, first come first served. Email for details and to reserve a spot at jenna@itsafarwalk.com
Three Spots Left!

Wool 101 - Processing, Spinning, and Knitting: October 2ndLearn how to wash, card, and spin wool with a drop spindle! That's right, a homesteading 101 course in raw wool to knittable yarn. Workshop includes roving and a drop spindle and will also teach basic knitting. So you get to meet sheep, touch lanolin, learn to process and then go home with spinning and knitting skills. This workshop Includes a farm tour and general lollygagging around CAF. If the weather is good we'll do most of the class work outside with the farm. Class limit is 6, first come first served. Email for details and to reserve a spot at jenna@itsafarwalk.com
Just ONE Spot Left!

P.S. Donations for workshops will all go into the barn raising fund.

17 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sharing skills, what a great way to spend a saturday. Would love to attend the wool 101 but to fly from Denmark is a bit outrageous.

Have fun.

August 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Harpy 101 said...

*sigh*...Wishing you a great time from Old Misfit Ranch here in Wheat Ridge, CO. Plenty of neat fiber folks and bluegrass folks here, but to get that nice mix I gotta take my spindle to a bluegrass show. Enjoy!

August 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

I'd sign up for a workshop that just included the farm tour and general lollygagging. (Well, if I didn't live half a country away, that is.)

August 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger bramblythicket said...

Wish I could play. These sound wonderful!

August 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

You can bet if I were not on the other side of the country in Oregon, I'd want to sign up for all three! What an absolutely wonderful idea, Jenna!

August 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Stephanie G. said...

Since I'm in AZ and probably can't make it, you should do a photo tutorial of sorts for the wool workshop. I would love to spin my own yarn and make something out of it. How cool!

Stephanie :)
www.simplicitymom.blogspot.com

August 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

Wish I lived close enough to take that wool class. Sounds like great fun!

-Brenda

August 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Wanda Barrett said...

I'm going to sound like a *real* ignoramus but I need a class in beginning strum stick. I got one for Christmas but I'm not playing it. A class (and farm tour) would be neat. Could I afford to come from Florida for it? Not sure. But it would be sorely tempting!

August 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

e-beggar

August 3, 2010 at 7:59 PM  
OpenID Too Many Scarves said...

Gosh I wish I lived closer...I'd be there for the intro to fiddle in a heartbeat. Might pick up that book anyway though as inspiration.

-Stacey

August 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Stacey: that book is all you need (well, a fiddle too) but I used it one winter and it was amazing. Try it!

August 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I sure wish I lived closer, I would do all three! I'm still learning on my fiddle after taking last years "fiddle challenge" and I really enjoy it! And your new kitty looks just like my new kitty!

August 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

what a cool looking dulcimer -- lookin' all cold antlerish! did you have it special made?

August 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Nah, it wasn't made for me, it's one of Walnut Creek's Designs.

http://tkobriens.com/mountaindulcimer.html

But I adore it, it's so big and warm sounding.

August 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Sounds like a lovely day at the farm! I can't make this one (moving to a proper house). Will you be offering any fiddle workshops in the spring?

August 5, 2010 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger EAG said...

How much does the dulcimer lesson cost?

August 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

we could do an intro lesson, like an hour or two. email me, (not expensive)

August 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home