Wednesday, August 11, 2010

cooperstown trials

I'll be heading down to Cooperstown, NY this weekend for the Leatherstocking Sheepdog Trials. Saturday morning Gibson and I will load up the truck for a day and hit the road at the crack of dawn to make it to the trial field before the handlers meeting. We'll bring all the essentials: a folding chair, cooler of cold drinks and sandwiches, binoculars, notebook and pen. Sheepdog trial gear is pretty much what you'd bring for a mix of extreme bird watching and low-key tailgating.

I can't wait. It'll be a fine day of watching dogs work, talking with shepherds, and seeing those classic Scottish Blackface sheep on the trial field. My trainer and herding instructor is hosting the event, and some of my future sheep will be out there on the grass. I hope to talk with her about setting up Gibson's first lessons in early October. Maybe someday that will be us out there, trying our luck.

If you're in the area come out and join me. Trials are a great family activity too, with plenty to watch if your kids are into animals. I'll be the girl with the 5-month-old puppy in the green John Deere chair, come say hi and see the big show.

photo by sara stell

10 Comments:

Blogger Meagan said...

While I'm not attending that trial, I did look into the Kingston one. Sure enough it was last weekend. So here's looking forward to the 2011 one :D
Actually I think I'll be buying a border collie training DVD sometime soon, I found it off Youtube and it seems perfect for just my situation - training a border collie for the first time all by yourself. And the price isn't too bad either.
OK enough blabbing, gotta head on the road - down to Carleton Place to pick up some sheep leads and a shepherding whistle. Tomorrow we pick up a few more sheep from my friend Bill. It never ends Jenna, be careful how much pasture you fence off cause you will want to fill it all with sheep I promise you!!

August 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

meagan, shop border collies in action: so many BC training videos and if you join NEBCA (which you should) you can borrow books and DVDs free from the library!

August 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

There are a lot of dog-working shepherds up there, you should get in touch with some of them!

August 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I was at the Kingston trials last Friday and it was fabulous. Doggy heaven! There's another in Woodville, ON (near Peterborough/Lindsay) at the end of August.

August 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Great pic! You can almost hear thundering hooves and whistles!

August 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Of course that will be you someday trying out your luck!!!

August 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Sweet, thanks for the links Jenna. I shall be joining that group in the next month. As for meeting some other dog workers, I'm still working out how to go about meeting them, many people in my area are modern dairy farmers. That said once I start looking I'm sure I'll find them.

August 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

just returned from a trip to Scotland and amazed how the countryside resembles Vermont...no wonder your Scottish sheep are feeling at home.

August 11, 2010 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

Have a good time this weekend! I wish I could go but I won't be east until the Nationals. My husband was once asked to judge Cooperstown. He had to turn it down because of other commitments but I'm surprised he did 'cause they promised they'd take him to the baseball museum which I understand is in the same town.

August 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I was raised about 20 miles from Cooperstown, my father still lives in the old farmhouse. If you have enough spare time be sure to check out the Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown, they have a small village and farmstead set up (with sheep of course) that I'm sure you would enjoy.

August 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home