Sunday, August 15, 2010

big ol' bowl of heirlooms!

Compared to last year's bacchanal: this year's scruffy garden is a bust. But this bowl of ripe tomatoes is a lesson for me. Even if the garden wasn't what I hoped it would be, it still keeps providing food for me. I may not have a cellar full of potatoes and walls of garlic and onions. But I do have some of each, and this humble bowl of heirlooms will make a great sauce for my pizza tonight. I can caramelize some of the onions on the back of the attic door and if I'm feeling really frisky: even make my own cheese to top it off. It may not be a storehouse of food for the winter. But it is a cupboard of options. There's always next year.

P.S. I would like to thank the reader who sent me the DVDs of the Welsh Sheepdog Finals. I have been watching them over and over, I didn't even know about the TV show Come Bye! Thank you!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Meagan said...

Looks yummy! My garden isn't quite what I expected and I wish I had worked harder in the Spring to till up more areas for it to grow. Now that I know pests won't be a problem though I'm gonna give some larger row crops a try next year. Let's hear it for eighty cauliflowers!

August 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Rois said...

Our garden is a bust this year as well.Our tomatoes are trying real hard to ripen and soon I am hoping to have a bowl of ruby globes like yours.

August 15, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jenna,
You are so welcome. I thought you would love to watch the DVDs. I stay up late when those shows are on and dream of getting a working Kelpie again.

It is great to see animals work with the generations of bred purpose behind them. I marvel at it.
Enjoy!

Rosann
SF bay area
California

August 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Rosann!

if you ever find anymore, please send them my way! And i'll happily send back a trade!

August 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home