Thursday, July 22, 2010

pasture spinning

I did a bit of spinning in the pasture tonight. I came home from work, did basic chores, and then walked up to the high gate with a quilt, roving, a crook and a drop spindle. I spun on my blanket while the sheep tottered around me. It's oddly pleasing, spinning yarn from sheep eating their dinner right beside you. The yarn was imperfect and chunky. I liked it that way.

The carded fleeced seemed to race into yarn. It took moments to spin and collect on the weight of the object. Curious how it took months to grow on the back of an animal, a team of skilled people to shear it, hours of soaking, a night of carding—and yet in minutes it met it's meaning. How elegant a fate.

It was dusk. The air was warm. It was one of those afternoons you read about in books.

10 Comments:

Blogger Harpy 101 said...

Heaven!

July 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

Spinning is a form of meditation I think... even better when its outside. Its nice to find pleasures in the simple things I think. Happy spinning!

July 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

I am so jealous! I have been in a total knitting kick lately. Love it! www.ingridbarlow.com

July 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Geek 3000 said...

oh you and your drum carder! I use hand carders and though it's mostly due to my lack of skill, they are a bitch! Those drum carders make perfect long lovely rovings! You practically look at them funny and they jump into yarn!

July 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Dreamy! And it's in the book of your life, for all of us to read.

July 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Looks good! I spin every evening and sometimes in the morning before work. Love my spindles (I spin supported) and love my wheels!

July 23, 2010 at 6:03 AM  
OpenID gileadgoats said...

Love that image Jenna! I just picked up my drop spindle yesterday too, for the first time in months (I usually just spin on my wheel). Tonight I'm gonna spin in the pasture too, you've inspired me. Keep us posted on your barn raising, I'll help you with yours if you'll help me with mine...

July 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Nice trade, Green plates for a slice of your own piece of heaven.

July 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Valerie Willman said...

Sounds idyllic. I love hearing about the farm. Keep writing!

July 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm addicted to spinning but haven't done it in a pasture! (Too hot, humid, and chiggery where I am.) But good for you.

July 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home