Monday, July 19, 2010

an aesthetic decision

I'd follow Geoff on his shepherding rounds. In our green rubber wellies we'd splash through the burns, checking each newborn lamb. Geoff'd pick it up to pat its full belly, "That's all right, old girl, I'll not harm him," and when mother and lamb had got separated )some of the burns were too deep for the lambs to swim), he'd join them back together. Brilliant mosses swirled in the stream-beds, oyster catcher and curlews called from the banks. The mist hung above us like theatre scrims and the light shimmered. Geoff's young dog, Cap, swirled in and out of the fog. The decision to become a shepherd is an aesthetic decision.

-Donald McCaig
Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men
Searching through Scotland for a Border Collie

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

July 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

Oyster catcher and curlews are shore birds. A wondeuful picture of a sea side pasture, foggy skies and green, green grasses.

July 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

It sounds more & more as your heart belongs in Scotland Jenna,I have never been sadly,but I believe Autumn reigns as King up there,you would love it,swirling mists & hard weather making when the sun does shine all the more glorious x
In my situation now,shepherding has been thrust upon me lol,I never magined I would be in charge of a small flock yet here I am ,they have wove their magic on me in the same way needles weave wool into jumpers(still magic but awful slow magic here......)
GTM x

July 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM  
OpenID jessyd88 said...

Jenna, I have sent my package to you on Tuesday the 13th, they said it should take a week to ten days. Let me know when you get it, as I forgot to include a note (was rather rushed that day)

jessicabeaumont27 (@) hotmail . com

July 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM  
Blogger Harpy 101 said...

Breathtakingly NEAT. And rousing, too...

July 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger 黃威宇 said...

當最困難的時候,也就是離成功不遠的時候。.......................................................

July 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM  
OpenID ruralaspirations said...

Oh, phew! For a brief moment of horror there I thought you were gonna dock Gibson's tail or give him ear surgery. I know, ridiculous but the things I've seen people do for the sake of the "breed"...Should have remembered that Working dogs are REAL dogs and don't need plastic surgery.

July 21, 2010 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger The Beers said...

The Scotch Shepherd's dog is where the English Shepherd breed descended from. ;) Neat picture!

Krystal

http://englishshepherds.webs.com/

July 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home