Monday, June 7, 2010

test results came in...

It was Campylobacter.

27 Comments:

Blogger Allisone said...

There are SO many different ways you could have gotten this, from the processing, to the cooking, to sneezing at the wrong time and instinctively covering your mouth with "chicken hand". Bacteria are a natural part of life. Don't think of it as the farm making you sick. Think of it as mother nature exerting her dominance. Like a storm - that kicked your butt for a few days.

Much love, and hope you are still on the mend.

June 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger wendyytb said...

Wow! That is a serious one! Guess that this may be one of the hazards of farming. Wash your hands...wash your hands...wash your hands.

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I figured it was, since my hubby had it and the symptoms were the same. I hope you fully recover; he hasn't completely thought it was four years ago. Here are some tips:

*FIBER!!!! Make sure you get plenty.
*Eat a good yogurt everyday for the beneficial bacteria. Stonyfield makes a great organic variety if you don't want to make your own. ( I make my own using theirs as a starter.)
*Plenty of liquids. Drink, drink, drink!
*Plenty of rest. This can't be overemphasized. He gets run down so much easier that he ever had. Know when to say "That can wait".

Feel well soon, Jenna!

June 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Melanie J. said...

What this makes me think of, is how the big outfits justify barraging our food with bleach and ammonia and the like, as a method of avoiding bacteria like that mean one...and people still get food poisoning everyday. The system's way broken, and your methods are so very much a step in the right direction. I'm just grateful to be able to take your experiences and hopefully apply them to my own little patch of land someday. Glad to hear you're mending, sending a hug!

June 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Duck said...

Off to do some research! Hope you can kick this bug's butt quickly! :)

June 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Totally agree with Allisone. You could have caught this anywhere. People don't wash their hands, touch things, then you go behind & touch the same thing. I'm not as fastidious-clean on our little 'stead, as I *should* (as in what "they" think we should be) be & we've yet to contract anything like that. I pray we don't, food poisoning is nasty! I believe in building our immune systems by germs, good food & plenty of rest, water & supplements, not by antibiotics & anti-bacterials.

Do hope you continue to feel better each day!

June 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger mary said...

Thanks for posting the resutls, Jenna.
At our home, we milk a Jersey cow, process (and drink) raw milk every day, and have been doing this for the last seven years. We've butchered poultry, and collect eggs every day. There are six of us, and we've never had food poisoning. We use food-grade peroxide to sterilize everything. Sometimes we find it at the health food store, sometimes we have to order it online. Bleach is toxic.

June 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Mike & Ricci said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mike & Ricci said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mike & Ricci said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hah! I had a feeling it wasn't salmonella. Campy's pretty bad though.

You might enjoy a read I just finished, called Green Barbarians, author of Green Housekeeping. In Green Barbarians, she disseminates all kinds of interesting information about how we've been lead by aggressive advertising to super-sanitize our lives, and it's the lack of exposure to a variety of bacterias that is making us allergic, asthmatic, and just plain sick.

Sometimes eating garden dirt is good for you.

June 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

When I had campylobacter, it was from eating take-out hot lunch food from the grocery store...

June 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Sorry! Green Barbarians and Gree Housekeeping are by Ellen Sandbeck.

June 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Hey Jenna--it's easy to get food poisoning--and I think it must have been from just something simple like not wiping a surface that the raw chicken touched or anything like that. I'm sure you chickens are healthy but things like salmonella or campylobactor are easily gotten, so just wash, wash, wash your hands and everything else that touches the raw meat--counters, maybe a dish you put the raw meat on before putting it in the pan, the handle on your sink you may have touched with your hands while preparing the meat to be cooked--OR you may have gotten it outside your home somehow. Bleach water is great for cleaning all those surfaces and that's what they use even in the labs where they do research on this stuff. One thing I know--food poisoning is miserable on lots of levels. Glad you're on the mend. Oh, by the way, that goes for getting your meat put in the refrigerator as fast as possible even after cooking. Don't let it sit around and preferably when you refrigerate it, have it taken off the bone--just put the meat in the fridge.

June 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Geek 3000 said...

we butcher our chickens too and it is a labor intensive process, only because of all the precautions! We do all processing outside. Once all the chickens and their bits are in the appropriate buckets or garbage bags we then do the clean up. After everything has been washed down, including us, we bring the roasting pan outside to load it up. Campy is always around and just part of life like staph and ecoli. Don't worry, you'll get better at keeping the gooey bits separate and be just fine!

June 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

So glad your better!

June 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Jaspenelle Stewart said...

I am glad you're doing better, it is never fun to be sick.

I had to look up what that was, but I have to admit the name made me chuckle, since people have called my sense of humor "campy" on many occasions. If that kind of humor was contagious I'm sure it would have a name like that.

June 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

Yuck!

Well, live and learn. Now you will be one of those mothers whose houses always smelled like bleach!!

P.S. Guess what, my mother was not one of them so I am still learning.

Feel better and don't tax yourself too much (in any sense).

June 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM  
OpenID sissyjane said...

Hope you are on Erythromiacin. My dogs had that a few times. It is a zoological disease, so you could have gotten it from one of your critters.

June 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Green Homesteader said...

Jenna, I'm sorry you got sick. I had for dinner last night all organic pinto beans, mashed potatoes, kale and cornbread. Later I had two glasses of wine and leftover cornbread with homemade jam. At 3:30 am I woke feeling very sick. After an hour of groaning and moaning I was sick for about 1/2 hour. Afterward I felt much better and slept the rest of the night. I think it was the kale that made me sick. While I washed it and then boiled it I still suspect that it was the culprit. I don't eat meat or dairy. So like others have said, anything can make you sick. Hang in there and get well soon.

Myra

June 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Mother of Chaos said...

I'm glad you got an answer - if you're like me, it helps. Even if you don't necessarily LIKE the answer itself. :)

Hope you're feeling more and more yourself - and less and less suspicious of your beautiful home.

June 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Moose Nuggets said...

Did you know: plain old vinegar kills germs like crazy. And if you ligtly spray yor chicken before it goes in the oven, you can taste it.

June 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I also had to look that one up....Seems serious, but you are taking care of it and that is all that matters.

I hope you feel 100% soon!

June 8, 2010 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Whether you're a cook or a butcher, eventually you get a nasty case of something you probably gave yourself and it changes how you handle your food forever, and for the better. I've been there, too, but it was being too slow to pop leftovers into the fridge that got me. We've all been there, and now your chickens will be prepared the cleanest, safest ways there are. Experience is a nasty teacher, but a darn effective one. Your future customers will thank you for your attention to hygiene that resulted from this experience!

June 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

Had a dog that had this once. She was pretty miserable so you must have felt awful!

June 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Did you know...all it takes is one little house fly? Yep. One. And you are sick. On the good side, the next time won't be as bad and pretty soon...no reaction of note.

June 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home