Sunday, June 27, 2010

sunday morning

Oh my god. Fresh broccoli from the garden. My hen's rich eggs. Battenkill Valley whole milk. Grafton smoked maple cheddar... I just ate the best slice of quiche of my life. Eating it with a side of ridiculously dark coffee and I'm in an edible paradise. The dogs agree, too. If you've never made quiche, it is so easy darling. You just need a pie crust, some eggs and milk, and whatever cheese or toppings you desire. I'm a big fan of cheddar and broc: but when my folks come it's sausage, bacon, and pepper. And men: a man who can make a quiche, well that's mighty fine.

No lambs to speak of yet. I spent a bit of time last night repairing a hole in the fence. It's unnerving to be falling asleep watching episodes of Buffy on DVD to be shocked back into full consciousness by a black sheep, 6 feet away, bleating at the back hatch of your Subaru for grain (which is where I hide it). (The car is parked right outside the living room wall.) Joseph, is the escape expert of the trio. I can come home from worrk and see ol' Sal and Maude munching in the pasture and Joseph is down in the barn eating rabbit pellets. Alas, he cares more about Blue Seal Coarse 14 than he does about freedom, so he'll follow me right back into the pen if I have a handful of grain. I brought him back in his pen, nailed the fence back to the side of the sheep shed, and then went back to the Scooby Gang.

Today I start pounding some fence posts and running some new fences. I have a few used rolls we transfered from old fencing at the farm. It's not good enough for pen fence but fine for field fence. If I can do twenty feet today will be a victory. I need to just focus on small chunks done well.

Gibson is growing into a gangly little man. His fur is growing longer, his legs are too. He and Annie have become good playmates and spend most of their time rolling around the house together and exploring the upstairs. Right now they are playing keep-away with Annie's favorite stuffed animal (Annie is the one keeping it away) and Jazz is guarding his slice of quiche in the other room. He knows he can eat it in a few gulps, or he can sit with it and mock the other dogs who ate theirs to fast. Jazz can be a jerk sometimes; mocking us with his egg pies.

So that's my Sunday in the country. A morning of decadent food stuffs, an afternoon of sweat and midwifery, and hopefully an evening with my old friend, my fiddle. I think it's time I finally memorize Sally Goodin.

P.S. I've never read this blog in whole, but I did look at entries from the first September today. Wow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Flartus said...

Hey, whaddya know...you're home!

June 27, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

If anyone else drooled over that cheese, they are on the web.
http://store.graftonvillagecheese.com
When I get mine I will be like Jazz daring anyone to come close.

Hope the fencing goes well. We don't want Joseph teaching the lambs how to escape. Until I read your blog, I never knew sheep could be an escape artist. If you have any tips on installing fences, please share them. I need to put up fencing, but I dread this job.

June 27, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

sheep usualy mind fences. I use hat portable electric netting and that's what joe slides under. the fence he stays in (unless there is a hole like last night).

that cheese is amazing! enjoy!

June 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

Mmmm... the quiche sounds amazing! I agree with you, Jenna, about a man that can make a good quiche. I like swiss and spinach or broccoli. Mushrooms are delightful as well.

June 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Maybe you should be calling Joseph 'Houdini?'

June 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home