Sunday, June 6, 2010

it tastes better in jadeite

I was in the pasture with the sheep when the storm came in. My arms were full of fencelines, my body shining in a light sweat as I moved the portable electric pasture to new ground. On the hill I could see the whole farm below. Every animal seemed to understand what was ahead. The chickens were all under the porch roof, sitting on hay bales, watching. The wind rushed up to meet me from the valley and I was shocked at the speed. My dress ripped in the wind like a sail over my jeans and rubber boots. Within seconds my arms were dry and covered in goosebumps. Weather excites me.

Thunder sidled up to us, and when its volume grew the sheep lifted their heads, still chewing. Sheep never panic about weather. They will scatter at a dog, and bleat at a strange bucket, but they do not so much as blink at a storm. So like four rocks, we stood there as the storm came in. All of us looking up at the swirl of black clouds. When it came, it rained so hard the house seemed to buckle. Old houses need such allowances. I sat inside with my first cup of coffee in over a week. My weak stomach did not welcome it. Today, in the storm I sipped the creamy cup and it was like falling in love again. Christ, I missed coffee.

Gibson was beside in the kitchen, asleep under the table of a relative he'll never meet. He's learning to live in the world now. I used to worry that when Gibson was off leash in a field he'd run away from me. But that is silly. I am the warm place he falls asleep when it is dark.

8 Comments:

Blogger Justine Capraro said...

That was beautiful. I am glad you are feeling better, or good enough to move fencing and enjoy a good storm.

June 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Now...THAT...is a post by the ever-free, courageous and adventurous Jenna we all know and love. Thanks for finding yourself again. I missed you. I'm certain that you feel the same way. A coming 'home' to yourself that feels warm and familiar.
Enjoy your week! **Tami

June 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh thank goodness- you sound like your old self again!

June 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I always think food tastes better in vintage Pyrex too. Love the image you portray with your words. Glad you're feeling better.

June 7, 2010 at 1:59 AM  
Blogger Mike & Ricci said...

Yea! CAF is back on its feet.

June 7, 2010 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

We had a fantastic couple of thunder storms up here, too. Nothing better than sitting in the dark watching the skies light up and feeling the rumble beneath your feet.

June 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger sheila said...

Nothing is more faithful than a Border Collie. They live to serve you. All in the breeding. Gibson worships you. Separation anxiety when you leave him alone is more likely than him running off. He will start making bigger circles around your position when you are out walking and may get out of sight if you let him, but he will keep himself within hearing distance of you and be back in a flash. The only reason he will roam is if he is left intact and starts looking for a female in heat.

June 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger DomestiKatie. said...

This is my favorite blog post of yours yet.
By the way, your book opened my eyes and my heart, and certainly changed my life. I can't wait to keep following your daily adventures. I have so much to learn from you.

June 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home