Wednesday, June 23, 2010

farm update

The farm has returned to peacful equilibrium, or maybe I have. The panic and stress that racked me a few weeks ago is starting to melt off and the farm. All its residents (including me) are existing as one unit again. Chores have fallen into a longer-evening-shorter-morning-routine that really suits me. After sitting in a desk chair all day I come home to the farm, turn up the ipod, and take care of all the feeding, water hauling, mucking and fence moving. In the morning it's a simple feed-n-leave.

Three meat rabbits were lost, but the other three have fully recovered and last week another three were born to take their place. The fox hasn't been seen in quite some time, and (crossing fingers) he's had his fill amd moved on. The three surviving angora kits are also doing well, also on grass. The sheep are shorn and light on the hoof, and I think I stopped all the escape holes in the fence that Joseph has wiggled through and made a bee-line for the grain on the covered porch. And the bees are thriving too. They're about ready to have another super added to give them all the space they need to expand their hive.

The poults are growing fast and fat, and all healthy. Turkeys are supposed to be as fragile as glass lambs but I've never had a problem with them. I feel if you can get a poult through the first two weeks you're home free long as they have proper protection from the elements and predators.

The garden is in high production and while the salad greens are starting to bolt, the pumpkins are flowering and beans are too. So much good food on the way: onions, potatoes, peppers, cucs and more...

And I'm on a mission to slowly start expanding the pasture fencing. The idea of money falling into my lap to hire a professional is out of the question, and with a flock on the way carrying lambs—I need to start acting now. So every night I run just a few t-posts and fencing to do a new section. At the rate I'm going I'll make much of the work and expense spread out thin enough to be realistic. And that's pretty much the pace of the entire enterpise. Do what I can with what I have, and pray for rain.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

I'm glad your bunnies are on the mend. I ment to post this on the other section, but wasn't sure if you ever checked back. I used to give my bunnies a weak mint tea when they had diarhea, etc. It along with a grass diet always seemed to help them even if it appeared there was no hope. Best of luck :-)

June 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Glad to hear that all is better. Attacking your fencing needs piecemeal is probably the right way to go about it. It's amazing what you can get done, a little bit at a time....

June 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

How often do you have to brush the angora kits?

June 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Damn The Broccoli said...

The old victorian walled garden our CSA is in is built from over a million bricks. They all had to be laid one at a time.

The fence and farm will come just fine so long as each bit is done.

June 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

What about Finn??

June 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Harpy 101 said...

Thank you so much for taking us along on your journey. It's so much fun and so helpful! LOVE your blog.

June 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

Sounds great! The woman I buy eggs from has goats as well and she says in her experience, where there are fox there won't be coyotes. I found that interesting. Not sure if it is always true, but as far as the sheep are concerned, fox is be better than coyote.

One way to think about a possible future fox problem.

-Brenda

June 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

When my boys were babies, I used to refer to those kinds of days as 'halcyon days'. They were the days when everyone played nicely, the chores got done, dinner was on the table on time and things went smoothly. It is nice not to be bouncing from one crisis to the next and just *to be*.
I am glad you are experiencing these kinds of days.

June 24, 2010 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

You can have some of our rain for sure! We have had so much (central Illinois) that the trees are falling over because of loose root balls. And with 97 degree weather yesterday and supposed to get 100 on Saturday, it is miserable.

Glad the fox is gone. Someone may have shot him. Give Jazz, Annie and Gibs, some scratches from me.

June 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger 江婷 said...

期待你每一篇文章......................................................................

June 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home