Saturday, May 22, 2010

tables and pumpkins

My parents brought my great grandfather's kitchen table to the farm. It's one of those great 1940's metal tops and it's in divine shape for it's age. They also brought an old steamer truck that was sitting in their house when they moved in, so lord knows how old that is. Slowly through acquisition and attrition this place is turning into a home. In a few hours they'll drive over the to farm from their hotel in Cambridge (I don't have television or air conditioning) and we'll sit out on the deck to a breakfast of farm eggs and pancakes and then head over to Gardenworks to look at the dried flowers, food, farm animals, and groceries there. It's a local foods cornucopia, that.

Life here in Jackson is starting to fall into it's own rhythms. Morning chores are becoming the familiar dance steps I always knew. I am losing that puppy paranoia where you need to know where your new dog is every second and worry everything is going to kill him. Gibson is growing up healthy, spunky, and quick. I found out that the Merck Forest Sheepdog Trials are being held on my birthday this year. What a way to celebrate. Now, just three years after sitting on the sidelines I'll be there as a club member with my own up-and-comer. I can't wait.

I need to get pumpkins in the ground. I may not have a giant garden yet but the idea of not having my own pumpkins is sacrilege. This year's garden is small compared to last, but is thriving. My heirloom lettuces are looking wonderful, my la rattes are up, and my Amish snap peas are starting to climb. I put tomatoes in yesterday. I'd say the space I'm growing here is about 5'x18' and if it was up to me I's triple it to start. I just don't have a rototiller or much time till June 1 hits and all my manuscripts and edits are in. After that, watch out.

14 Comments:

Blogger sheila said...

It's all about soil prep for a fall garden and next years gardens. Put the effort into that and you won't be sorry.

May 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'd love to see a picture of your grandfathers table.

May 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Had to post to say how happy I am for you for all that has come to pass over the last few months. It's amazing how much you can come to appreciate and want good things for a total stranger miles away.
Thank you for sharing your adventure, can't wait to see where it takes you.

May 22, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

When the time comes to enlarge the garden, you might want to look into renting a rototiller for that initial sod-breaking. Might save a lot of time and effort. In the meantime, you could lay down a thick cover of straw which will help start to kill the sod, making it that much easier to 'til later.

May 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

For all of us 'insiders', we'd love to see pics of the inside and outside of your farm. Don't wait til your 'done' show us the 'in progress' version... :-) So happy for you! Tami

May 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
OpenID nytesong said...

Things are falling so neatly into place for you--or perhaps I should say all of your (admirable) determination and hard work are making them all line up in tidy little fashion.

I'm happy for you. =)

May 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

Having family heirlooms is wonderful. I have several pieces of furniture from my Great-Grandpants. They brought the furniture with them when they came to homestead at the turn of the century (1900s that is). The table and china cabinet are my favorites. I also had the trunk they carried their clothes in, it is papered beautifully, now my brother has it since he had more room for it.

Enjoy your time with your family.

May 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I was happy to read that you are getting settled in. Those family things do make a house a home.

When does Gibson start his official sheepdog training? Please let us know what you are doing to train him. I am sure I am not the only one who would love to turn our herding dog into a useful member of the household.

Have fun with your family today.

May 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

So, when are you going to post a video of your new farm? I'm really dying to see it, and seeing as how I live in WA, just about as far away as one can be, I won't be seeing it anytime soon. And I love farm tours! :)

May 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

I'm truly happy for you, Jenna. You're doing something incredible for one "so young" (I wish I were)...you know what you want and you're going after it. I agree about renting a rototiller, that's what we've done in the past and it's a very big help, or maybe even pay or barter for someone to do that part for you.

Also, I agree with Tami and Beth...we'd all love to see "before" pics of your home and farm.

Blessings to you and have a wonderful weekend with your parents!

Dianne
http://www.patacakebabies.com/wordpress

May 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Cassidy said...

Neat table

May 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hey Jenna- I would advise you against rototilling, because the current thinking is that it destroys the soil food web which is essential to healthy soil. Better to sow a cover crop and dig it under if you have to amend your soil, which leaves larger chunks of the web intact.

From what I remember seeing of your soil, it's that lovely, black loam to which we all aspire and is probably ready for seeds the way it is....

May 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Montero said...

Jenna - I only just realised where you have moved to. My grandparents lived in Buskirk & Cambridge all their lives. My mother grew up there. My formative experiences with farming are because of them and their home. They are all buried there now.

Now I'm reading about your life there, from my home in England. Thanks for bringing back some very happy personal memories. It really is a small world.

May 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

We want images, images, images, lots of images?

May 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home