Sunday, May 23, 2010

a fine long day

It was a long day in Jackson. My morning started around 6 AM (I slept in) unloading bales of mulching straw and preparing a big quiche for my folks, who were coming for a bon voyage brunch before heading back to Pennsylvania. I was deep into my morning routine; headphones on, water buckets in each hand, walking up to the garden to check on yesterday's new transplants of basil and mentally planning-out the pumpkin patch. Because I'm so behind in the garden this spring, I bought eighteen started pumpkins from Gardenworks. I hope to plant some heirlooms I got as well, but I wanted the insurance of time lost. A few hours of hoeing, some fences, mounds and compost and I'll be ready for October.

My folks showed up around 10 and we ate out on the deck, enjoying the farm below us. Winthrop already learned that the deck means free lunch, so he ran right to us while we dined and just stared silently. My dad through some bread and the geese honked and hollered and before you knew it it was bedlam. Away from the fray were the six meat bunnies now weaned from their mother, and the ducklings who have moved outside and are always together. Gibson started rounding them up, nonchalantly. I really think he'll be a fine working dog. If he knows to run around flocking stock and not to run at it, it's a good sign.

We went down to the Cambridge Farmer's Market after brunch. Sunday in Cambridge was sunny and beautiful. When I got out of the truck with Gibson a horse and buggy drove by. Not Mennonites, just locals in a cowboy hat and Harley Davidson Tee Shirt. I scooped Gibson up in my arms and walked him over to the market.

We met some local farmers, and snacked on some homemade gelato. The market was small but had everything from bedding plants to dried herbs, local free-range meats, and live music. I got to meet some neighbors who raise angus and they fed Gibson some liver brownies. (Which made them instantly his new favorite people.) I want to talk to them more next weekend. Livestock neighbors already on the market scene are people worth getting to know. I would have stayed there all day. It was hot though, and my folks were ready to head home. We said our goodbyes and the visit was over. I hope they had an okay time.

AFter the socializing was over Gibson and I drove up to Hebron to get hay. It was a perfect, warm afternoon. The sun high, sky blue, truck singing the Carolina Chocolate Drops (which I'll be seeing live next weekend!) and by the time the truck was loaded and I had my regular chat with Nelson Greene: I was ready to relax a little. It was Sunday, after all.

Instead however, I gardened and started that pumpkin patch. I took Jazz and Annie for a walk while Gibson napped, enjoying their stately and level company. I never realized how calm and dependable my dogs were till a puppy came into my life. Jazz is as warm and affectionate as ever before, and as peaceful as a zen monk. Annie is a goofball, but still my girl. We sat outside to play some banjo tunes. I'm not great, and play the same waltzes all the time, but they never complain. I was quite happy there. My old dogs by my feet.

I called it quits after that. I roasted a chicken I harvested two days earlier, and had a fine dinner with plenty of leftovers to pack for lunch for the week. It was a usual Sunday, but felt longer, perhaps because the days themselves have more light? It may also be the way I fill them: outside with constant lists and chores. I make time to soak it all in, eat some ice cream, watch the fireflies... but I am happiest busy and useful. Be of use, I say. Be of use and everything else falls into place.

10 Comments:

Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Have you found the chicken tastes different or more tender when you wait 2 days to cook it?

Your farm looks amazing. I don't suppose you have made a drawing showing the location of your buildings and future buildings that you can post have you?

May 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

Thanks for sharing the rhythm of your day...I enjoyed that. As the mother of young adults, I'm always happy to see them happy and fulfilled. I'm sure your parents were also.

Dianne
http://www.patacakebabies.com/wordpress

May 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Jenna,
Sounds like you've found serenity at the Jackson farm. Must be a great feeling for you and quite a different feeling then the past few months of uncertainty. Good for you I say, good for you...:-)
**Tami

May 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM  
OpenID sissyjane said...

Sunday's are perfect days, especially when spent with family. What a joy!

Have a good week Jenna!

May 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger ladybughomer said...

Jenna, your parents had a wonderful time because they were with you. (Every parent that reads this blog will agree.) As SouthernHeart said, most of us just want our kids happy and productive. We never need to be entertained as being with one's children is everything.

May 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

Sounds like a happy little farm. The photos were great, thanks.

May 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Carrie in Wisconsin said...

That first picture in this post looks like heaven. It really drew me in. Of course, most of your pictures look like heaven usually. Great post, glad you took time to just sit and be peaceful on your farm.

May 24, 2010 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

Great photo of the geese and chickens!

May 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You have an amazing place Jenna.

May 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm glad you had a fun time with your parents. I really enjoyed hearing about your day.
I just recently visit my local farmer's market here in Oregon about a week and a half ago. It was small but mighty as far as I'm concerned. There was a little bit of everything...fresh eggs...kale.who knew there were so many different types of kale? I sure didn't. Oh, and tomatoes..there were about 15 different types of tomato starts. :) :) My favorite was seeing the Full Circle Bison Ranch. That was cool. I love bison meat. They're located in the Applegate Valley somewhere :)
Thanks for sharing this :)

May 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home