Wednesday, April 14, 2010

so much going on

There is so much going on right now in this small life, I feel that if I were to properly share it I'd be writing 4,000 words a day. Truthfully, I would love it if that was my main gig, but right now I have so many changes happening it's giving me whiplash. And between the office, the farm, and other adventures I have a plate so full some would call it a compost pile.

Farm update first. I think I close on the Jackson Farm this Friday! We finally got the Clear to Close from the USDA and I am 48 hours away from signing the papers and getting the keys. I still don't actually believe it is happening. It was just this past November when the sky fell down, and now here I am a few days from owning my own little piece of the world. I already know that when I walk into that house for the first time, as the owner, I will have a tweed guitar case in one hand and a dog leash in the other. I want Jazz to walk inside with me, the dog who's been by my side since I was alone in the world. Even with his age and scars he is beautiful and the most affectionate animal I will ever have. I came home tonight and he leapt into my arms, wanting nothing more than to bury his furry head into my chest and scootch up into my collarbone.

Anyway, I am almost home.

In other farm news: the sheep shearer comes Saturday morning, and so does the moving crew. That will be quite the site, seeing a moving truck and a pair of shearers all working alongside the cabin to make this place tick. And I think the speckled brown doe is ready to kindle. She is cutting her feed, acting like she's building a nest. I put a nets box in her cage hoping to encourage a birth. The first littler of edible rabbits will be quite the cause for celebration.

And on the dog front, I got an update photo of Gibson today. My Idaho-born Border Collie is on his way, now four weeks old and covered in a fuzzy coat. He'll be flown in from the west in mid May. What a world that farm dog is stepping into....

And I haven't lost a single laying or meat chick. All are healthy and growing like June weeds. I see them and smile. I even clean the brooder with moxie. Making food is a fine way to spend a week night.

So I hope to update you all soon with news of a final closing date, kits, puppies and more but right now my life is a waiting and planning game. But come May, it's on. I'll be working harder than I ever have in my life to get this farm started. I can't wait.

24 Comments:

Blogger The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I can "see" your smile in between the words on the page. Best wishes for you, Jazz, Annie, and all the CAF family!

April 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger John said...

Been pretty much just a lurker here but wanted to say I'm happy things are working out for you. Continued success!

April 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

I am so excited at the prospect of seeing Finn pictures again on a regular basis. I was completely inspired by your post on eating rabbit that my boyfriend and i went to the butcher shop and bought a rabbit. they didn't have any local ones, and our first bite was an international one (from China). DELICIOUS! I have been researching meat rabbits for about five days and I bought my first meat producing doe today. Her name is Baby Blue. she's a new zealand/californian cross and she's in the dining room in quarantine until she gets to join the satin angoras outside.

Yay! One step closer to the farm! No acres yet, but the back yard is shaping up nicely.

Naomi in Oregon

April 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

I am so excited at the prospect of seeing Finn pictures again on a regular basis. I was completely inspired by your post on eating rabbit that my boyfriend and i went to the butcher shop and bought a rabbit. they didn't have any local ones, and our first bite was an international one (from China). DELICIOUS! I have been researching meat rabbits for about five days and I bought my first meat producing doe today. Her name is Baby Blue. she's a new zealand/californian cross and she's in the dining room in quarantine until she gets to join the satin angoras outside.

Yay! One step closer to the farm! No acres yet, but the back yard is shaping up nicely.

Naomi in Oregon

April 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
OpenID ruralaspirations said...

Ah, I finally get my "fix" of hearing you talking about the farm from the heart. I'm betting up until now you were not really wanting to believe it? I am SO happy for you, and can't wait to see what you do with the place.

April 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Congrats! Congrats! I've read your book and am enjoying your blog. It's amazing how far you can go if you just dream it. I look forward to future books on your adventures.
Carrie (a fellow homesteader)

April 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

What an exciting time! It is such a joy to watch this all unfold for you.

April 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Congratulations just doesn't seem to cut it. Revel. And thank you for taking time to share the joy.

April 14, 2010 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

That is exciting news, I look forward to your first post at your new home.

-Brenda

April 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

oKayyy! Glad to hear you have a date- we'll all be celebrating. Friday night is always Pizza and Beer night, which is cause enough for me, but to think you're closing on your farm that day makes it that much better!!

April 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM  
Blogger julie said...

:) :) :)

April 15, 2010 at 3:47 AM  
Blogger Affi'enia said...

I'll be thinking of you all Friday. This must be such an exciting time for you. I know as I sit here longing for my own space of land seeing you get yours fills me with so much hope.

Congratulations hun. Looking forward to lots of pics of the new place (and I'm with Naomi, lots of Finn pics!!).

April 15, 2010 at 3:47 AM  
Blogger julie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 15, 2010 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger RenĂ© said...

My heart is so full for you. You are living proof that the real American Dream is still alive. I'm so looking forward to seeing you on your own bit of land. I know you'll do amazing things with it.

April 15, 2010 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Naomi! Cograts! Farm City, a book about a backyard farmer in Oakland, is right up your alley.

And I can't wait to have that goat back!

-j

April 15, 2010 at 5:29 AM  
OpenID lisasfoods said...

Sometimes I wish I could spend a lot more time writing too.

Can't wait to see pics of your new place, and the sheep shearing! What great news. I've spent a fair amount of time in that part of New York, and it's so beautiful.

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Jenna, I was just thinking. For this year. maybe you could have someone till a garden for you instead of trying to dig it by hand. That would give you a bit of a headstart on the veggie patch for 2010.

April 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

All right! Closing on your first mortgage is a high! So much security knowing your name is on the deed. To paraphrase Steve Martin's character in _The Jerk_, "Things are gonna start HAPPENING to you now!!"

April 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

great news jenna! i always found it funny (and by funny, i mean annoying)that there is all this waiting and waiting for a signed off document. but somehow you are expected to coordinate so many things on your end last minute without that true feeling of certainty. it's been that way for us with every single move/house purchase. so, i feel for you.

it will all come together in one fell swoop of mayhem! let us know if there is any way we can help!

April 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! So very, very happy for you, Jenna! Can't wait to watch all this unfold! Thanks for letting us join you for the ride. :o)

April 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

So nice from my end of life to see someone living their dream at your age. Very best wishes for an easy stress free closing and a good and relaxed move. You're in plenty of time to get your garden in and your animals all settled. Where to start first?
Enjoy every minute of it!!
Janet

April 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM  
OpenID nytesong said...

I'm so excited for you. =) Great things are happening all around.

April 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Corey and Kristin said...

Glad things are working out!! Reading your blog has been very inspiring to me - it IS possible to just get out there and do it! Thanks for sharing your life with the rest of us.

April 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Just reading about your success has me filled with hope about our own situation: we are STILL waiting for that home stead (still renting); lot of kids and animals waiting, too.
Watching your dreams come true helps me keep the faith.
Thanks!

April 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home