Friday, April 16, 2010

closing

The first thing I thought of as I woke up was crows. I hold a personal superstition that spotting crows in pairs is an auspicious sign. Two birds side-by-side in flight, perched in a tree, or hopping along the side of the road is an omen of hope for me. I have no logical explanation for this. It simply feels correct. When I tried to figure it out, I found in my research that crows are only seen in groups when they're young. So what I had been smiling at was actually a codependence I didn't understand but deeply appreciated. A pair of crows is a sign of necessity, teamwork, survival and hope. It's how the young animals find their footing in the world. The gypsy in me needed to see those birds before closing on the Jackson Farm—a mandatory blessing. As I rolled deeper into the quilts to try and gain a few more minutes of sleep—I silently prayed a pair would find me before pen touched paper. I took a deep breath and got up.

I got the coffee ready on the stove and placed the remaining 3/4ths of the quiche I made for dinner last night into the oven. As the percolator rocked and the cabin filled with the smells of the warming breakfast—I invited Jazz to join me on the couch. He leapt up and buried his head into my chest. His tail thumped as I held his face and kissed his forehead. It was far too early and dark to see the farm outside for chores. So while we waited for daylight to catch up with us, I pet my dog, grabbed my old guitar, and played a song with breakfast.

By the time the dogs and I had our fill (I ate like a bird; too nervous to really enjoy the food) and I had enough coffee to scare normal people into caffeine celibacy—it was time to get outside. The last day of chores as a Vermonter.

This is the swan song for this incarnation of Cold Antler. In a few weeks the cabin will be empty, the yard quiet, and not a single rooster will break into morning yodels here. I don't know if the neighbors will be heartsick or relieved at the change. Truthfully, I try not to think about it. While I went about the morning rounds of sheep, chicken, and rabbit care I listened to soft music in my headphones and let myself lack any specific focus. Then I discovered just how hard it is to meditate when you realize you just acquired 13 new animals overnight...

The big speckled doe gave birth to a giant litter of kits! Inside the nest box were 13 wriggling little babes—some pink, some spotted, some near black. They were all alive and well and the mother was doing fine. This marks the first litter of meat rabbits at the farm, and the fact it was on the day I closed on my new home seemed almost written for a script. I reached into the furry nest box and pulled out a tiny kit. I held the newborn in my palm, warm and close. I watched the rays of steam come off its fragile, chubby body in my hand. I melted at the poetry but quickly returned it to its family. I smiled at the small success. If crows didn't come; kits had.

With the blessing of the new litter I headed inside to prepare for the big day. I had originally planned to bring Jazz with me, but when I realized how much driving was involved, and how long the day might be for a healing animal—I decided to let him and Annie rest at the cabin. Yet the idea of closing alone was depressing. I wanted someone with me to share in the sublime moment. So I grabbed my beat up Gibson guitar and set it by the front door. That'll do.

A little backstory: I bought this 1957 black guitar on eBay, thinking it might be a J-45. It was bidding at a steal, and when I won it a few weeks ago, I was thrilled that my dream guitar was finally coming into my life.

I was wrong. When I opened the shipping box I realized I didn't see the instrument for what she really was. The assumed J-45 was actually an old LG. A smaller bodied, curvier, and lighter instrument than my original crush. At first I was upset. Had I known it was an LG and not my 45 I would have let her go to someone else. But time heals all wounds, and now that she's here (and what I play every night) I have grown to adore her. The old guitar had become a good friend. If a dog could not join me on this fine day, this scrappy guitar would be a fine second choice. I loaded her in the truck, turned on the music, and we drove down the mountain towards the rest of the day.

It was all starting now.

On my way I pulled into Wayside to grab a cup of coffee. I also wanted to pick up something small to walk into the new house with. The store had been my home away from home since I moved from Idaho and wanted a piece of it to join me. I found a glass case near the magazines with a pile of tiny jade-like Buddhas in every shape and size. I found a small Japanese Buddha (not the fat, happy one holding coins) and bought it for a few dollars. As I climbed back into the truck, I set the little green statue on the passenger seat. Together me, Buddha, and the Gibson drove to the bank. We had not see a single crow the whole time since leaving the cabin half an hour ago. I gripped the steering wheel tighter.

After the cashier's check was made, and my obligations met, I headed over to Chem Clean to service the truck. I pulled up next to the air and Chris, a neighbor an attendant, noticed the case in the front seat. Chris is a fine guitarist and helped himself to a few tunes on the Gibson while I checked tire pressure. As I pressed air I could hear Black Bird playing from the other side of the Ford. It was beautiful. I stuck around for a while to talk with Alan and Suzanne (who run the shop) and got to meet their two new Siberian Husky puppies. I held the little girl in my arms while her brother ran around in circles on his blue lead. Not many gas station in America offer concerts and puppies. Chem clean gets a lot of my business.

I drove faster than I should have. The music was loud and emotional. I was listening to a new passion of mine, Gregory Alan Isakov. I was drumming with my thumbs on the wheel while the violins started to shudder in The Empty Northern Hemisphere. As I crossed the state line into New York I felt the rush of quiet panic stirred with the excitement of something new. A few miles up the road, as the song galloped into the bridge, a pair of crows flew over the truck. I let out a long exhale. Everything would be okay.

The rest of the afternoon was a blur. A pile of meetings, lawyers' offices, paper work and hand shakes. The whole time I was signing the documents I could not believe this was actually happening. The idea of owning my own farm just a few months ago was unheard of. My credit score was horrible. I didn't have a savings account. I had no real plan to find or buy land...and yet here I was, four short months later, being asked if I wanted extra title insurance and being handed a set of keys. When all was said and done I stood up from the heavy wooden desk and realized I was shaking, like I was in love.

I think I was.

I drove back to the house, my house, as it started to rain. I had a thick packet of papers and a smile that would not hide. I kept checking my phone to hear word from friends and family. Two coworkers would be coming over with pizza and beer later to celebrate. My parents showered congratulations. I thanked them all over and over. But despite their kindness, I could not wait to hang up and go home. I wanted to walk around the property like an addict: planning housing, running extension cords, making the place come back to life. That dead farm was about to get a few hits of Jenna. It would resuscitate, and thrive, and feed people again. I was drunk on the dream turning into reality. I wanted more. I wanted to be in the house. I drove like it.

Then I almost hit Stumpy.

Stumpy was an aging Golden Retriever, walking down the middle of Route 22 (a busy, rural highway) and not at all swerving to miss cars. People who noticed him cut him a wide berth, and others slammed on the brakes. I knew his name was stumpy because I pulled over, and hollered "Hey! Dog!" and he trotted towards me and I read his tags. A line of cars was slowing down to watch this dumb girl try to flag down the senile dog, but I ignored them. (If that was my dog I'd want someone to call the name on the collar.) So Stumpy sat with me on the side of the highway, and we got acquainted. I called his owners and they said they'd be down to pick him up. While we waited I told him about my day. I was grateful to have met him, he got me to slow the hell down and just sit. His pedestrian ways, lacking what they lacked, let me take in what was actually happening. And I was secretly happy to have an arm around a dog. Dogs are my people. We talked like old friends. I was somewhat sad to see him hop into his owners car.

Keys in hand, dog rescued, and just a mile from my new house I drove down the road a little slower. I pulled into the driveway and grabbed Buddha and the guitar. I opened the door and stepped into the warm house, which was filled with rays of afternoon light. It was so much brighter then the cabin was; even on her best days. I set down my keys and the tweed case and walked around, trying to catch my breath. I felt the staircase like it was slightly electric. I walked the rooms like the walls were lined with impressionists. Everything was drank in. Everything made me feel brand new.

I sat down on the floor, opened the guitar case, and played a song. Upward Over the Mountain rang through the old farm house and echoed upstairs. I played it like it was the last song I'd ever get to play. I sang to no one, and that made it even stronger.

Mother don't worry I've got a coat and some friends on the corner.
Mother don't worry, he'll have a garden. We'll plant it together.
Mother remember the night that the dog had her pups in the pantry?
Blood on the floor and fleas on their paws and you cried till the morning?

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten.
Sons are like birds flying always over the mountain.


...sitting there, sweaty and excited, daunted and alone, I sang. I was overwhelmed and happy. Really happy. But understanding and feeling those things all at once, I started to cry. It wasn't a cry that belonged to any particular emotion. It was a homily and a eulogy; hope and fear; desire and despair. I just cried. I held a black guitar against my chest, shook, and cried. Some things can't be helped.

So much of my story is about wanting. To finally have it is a relief so complicated and beautiful it breaks me to understand it.

Crows fly. Buddha sits. I farm.

111 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Wow... Love it!!

April 16, 2010 at 11:58 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

I seem to be the 1st person to read and comment tonight. I totally understand your emotional state. Not surprising at all, I'd say. And you will very quickly get into the "busy-ness" that's about to overtake your life, so the emotions will calm as you set about putting all the plans in motion.

Moving belongings and animals, building fencing, turning over soil and planting your first farm crops....you will be one busy girl.

I thoroughly believe the Universe set all this in motion by forcing you to leave your cozy cabin. You didn't think you could do it, but you did. Apparently, you needed that kick in the pants to get you moving. And now there will be more and more animals.....13 kits today! How crazy wonderful is that!?

April 16, 2010 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

OK, so I wasa little late on the last comment!! Congratulations!!

April 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

By far, my favorite post.

I know I have said this before but I am so very, very, uncontrollably happy for you. It is far too late to feel uncontrollable happiness but I can’t help it.

All the plans you get to make now and all the fun making the place your own….
Pictures please….

April 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Miriam said...

Wow, the start of a whole new adventure! You're an inspiration for all of us who are following a dream. Well done, you smart and courageous woman!

April 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Tora said...

It's all good...all of it and we're thrilled for you. Some of us envy your fortitude and wish we were young again and starting life anew. Bless you Jenna and your new farm life!

April 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Joleen said...

I forgot to tell you to take a pretty hankie to catch the tears of joy today! Peace and love and endless joy at YOUR new home always Jenna. I'm so happy for you.

April 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Oh my. Gorgeous. So much Joy for you!! Thanks for sharing your amazing day- Can't wait to hear and see more!

April 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger Rois said...

We call our house Hrafinstaad which means Raven's House so I so get your two crow thing.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful day with us all.But most of all congratulations you made it happen!

April 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Delena said...

I came across your blog and so glad I did. I read your latest entry like I was reading a good book and didn't want it to end. Congratulations on your purchase and you have a new follower! I hope you post pictures. I too love the country life.

April 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM  
Blogger small farm girl said...

There are many things that could be said, but only one thing seemed appropriate. "Welcome home Jenna.Welcome home."

April 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger Jeremy and Jenny said...

Manifestation at it's finest.

April 17, 2010 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger Bri said...

beautiful. this has got to be one of your most eloquent posts so far. I can't even express it!

April 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM  
OpenID giftsofthejourney said...

Love the way you've shared the unfolding of your special day.

Happy for you and glad you've been able to make such a major dream come true.

April 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Congratulations Jenna! I am so happy you finally have your farm. I know that you will bring that sleeping farm back to life and make it a wonderful and beautiful place! I wish you peace and happiness and look forward to hear more of your adventures this time from your own farm!

Grace and Peace,

John

April 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah Wheeler said...

Yay! I'm so happy that you've accomplished your farm dreams, and so glad you had Gregory Alan Isakov crooning to you while you did it. I'm glad you saw my recommendation on Twitter--I knew you'd like him ;o)

Congratulations on your amazing new life, you deserve it!

April 17, 2010 at 2:18 AM  
Blogger HaleDN said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal, vulnerable experience. You have a gift for words, especially for those who share your passions of a simpler, more fulfilling life. You inspire me!

April 17, 2010 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger Katrin said...

I am glad you finally arrived! Wishing you all the best!

April 17, 2010 at 3:17 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Woooo hooooooo!!!!!

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau

You did it!!!

April 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM  
OpenID emptynester said...

I cried too readingthis. In England we say that we laugh at funerals and cry at weddings! I am so happy for you.
Rebecca.

April 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM  
Blogger ms lottie said...

Yay, Jenna, yay!! Soon you'll be so exhausted from moving that you can't think straight. But try and remember your first joy. I've been following along with your story for a while now, and I'm loving this part of the plot.

April 17, 2010 at 4:52 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

My eyes welled up as I reached the last couple of paragraphs. Wonderful writing. Magical story. Amazing reality. Warmest wishes to you Jenna as you begin the next stage of your adventure.

April 17, 2010 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Jenna, Jenna, Jenna, wow.

Thanks for letting me come along for the visual ride. You are gifted; i support your efforts.

April 17, 2010 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger Kate Mary Betty said...

Brightest blessings for you and your new home...I will put in a new asparagus bed today and dedicate it to the new incarnation of Cold Antler Farm...Thank you for your eloquence and willingness to share very intimate emotions...people that are so in touch with what is going on inside of themselves make this world a better place...

April 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Brambly Thicket said...

That may have been the most moving blog post I have ever read. I am so happy for you Jenna. Congratulations again. Here's to new beginnings!

April 17, 2010 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Pugs and Kneedles said...

Congratulations! I've been following your blog and holding my breath as you worked so hard to make your dreams come true. I dance with joy that you now have a farm of your own and that you have the blessing of dogs, crows, Buddha and good music. It is all good. Enjoy!

Kimberton

April 17, 2010 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger twistie said...

moved to tears once again Jenna, what a gift you have for putting your feelings and emotions into words and descriptions. Well done! Oh and congratulations on you farm. I'm so happy for you.

April 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

Jenna, I am so happy for you. I wondered all day yesterday how it went. When I read your blog this morning I was so happy for you. Amazing how we all can be so happy for a young girl we've never met and probably never will.... We here in Wisconsin wish you the very best and hope all your dreams come true.....

April 17, 2010 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Dear Lord,

We ask that You bless Jenna's new farm. Spread Your light of protection and grace over it.

Let there always be enough food to eat, water to drink, and warmth to cover her and the animals when it is cold.

Thank You Lord for making this possible.

In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen

April 17, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Jenna,
Congrats and I lift my mug in a toast to your new home! Welcome to NYS! I'm excited to hear of your new adventures and waiting for pictures. I'm happy that you're happy and finally seeing your dreams come true. THAT is the best feeling in the world. Nice to hear of the new babies...congrats on that as well...
Tami

April 17, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger JoyceAnn said...

Hi Jeanna ~ I 've been following your blog for months , although I don't comment often. Congrats on your farm , may it be everything you've dreamed of and more. Looking forward to hearing the upcoming stories from the new CAF.


~ Be Blessed ~

April 17, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Wonderful, wonderful. Congratulations and good work! :)

April 17, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Eaglescout said...

Congratulations on the farm!

April 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

WORD.

April 17, 2010 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Toni aka irishlas said...

Crows rock!
So does your farm...

Happiness to you and all your critters.

April 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Shannan said...

Absoultly beautiful Jenna, thank you for sharing your day with us. I can only imagine the emotions that you were and are feeling. Congrats on a the new home, it makes my heart soar to know that this dream is finally a reality for you and gives me new hope for a place of our own someday soon. Enjoy your farm you earned it.

Shannan

April 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Katou said...

I read your post with tears in my eyes. I'm so happy for you Jenna; everything is finally falling into place.

Thank you for sharing all this with us; it is very special.

There are a few hectic days coming for you but I guess you'll be on the adrenaline of realizing your dream.

Best of luck for all that is coming; you deserve it so much.

April 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I'm sat here shedding a few emotional tears for you too. How beautiful your new place sounds. (and well done for reuniting Stumpy with his owners, sounds like just what you needed on the way over there)
xx

April 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Trista Hill said...

Oh, Jenna -- I so understand!! All the emotions hit at once. I am so happy for you. And you got your place on my birthday. In a wonderful way this is one of the best gifts -- to see someone work so hard and get exactly what they want and need. Congrats.

April 17, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Overjoyed for you, Jenna!!!! Can't wait to see pictures and here of your continuing adventures! Yay for 13 kits!!! :o)

April 17, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Congratulations on getting the farm!

April 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

Jenna, I am so very happy for you! I doubt I will ever get my dream farm...getting too old for all the work! ...but I can live vicariously through you! Tears almost burst from my eyes reading the story of your day! Remember, above all else just have FUN!

April 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Amen.

April 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

It's like a whole new book rather than another new chapter.

Congratulations!

April 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

I am sitting here with a dog in my lap & one curled beside me, crying because a friend I have never met, who has touched me deeply often, has just realized a long held dream. Thank you for taking me with you on this journey and letting me experience it vicariously. Even second hand, my life has been enriched and I appreciate that.

Congratulations. I so wish I lived in the area and could help, but I guess sending my good wishes is about the best I can do.

April 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

You should have known it was a lucky day with 13 kits. What a blessing and an auspicious number.

May all good things come to you in your new home and life.

April 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Home sweet home!!

April 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Wood Finery said...

Congrats! One of the best times in my life in my 20's was owning my old one room school house and living there with Farm Cat and Mountain my Great Pyrenees. We lived in Walton, OR. Some 30 years later I miss those days dearly!
Enjoy your life at your new farm!
Follow my blog if you like at http://www.allonewood.blogspot.com

April 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Welcome home Jenna and company!

April 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

Beautiful post, Jenna... Congratulations and welcome home!

April 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger sheila said...

Let the farming games begin! Looking forward to seeing how the farm ventures unfold for you.

April 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Best of luck to you, Jenna. I know you're going to grow this farm into something beautiful.

Now the hard work begins. But it's good, good work, full of heart.

April 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Corey and Kristin said...

Congratulations! Great joy often brings an ache - you expressed that so well. Good luck moving and settling in. Hopefully it will feel very satisfying for you!

April 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Congrats!! I love it when people are in a great place and are ready to live their dream.

It is a great sign that a lot of hard work and hope can make things happen.

Peace,
Pam

April 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Congratulations, Jenna! You're a fine motivator to keep moving to manifestation. :) Enjoy your new home - looking forward to the stories and pictures.
:)Anna
Lyons, CO

April 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Jocele said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful day.

April 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Miss M.J. Ma'am said...

Awesome,a new beginning! I totally understand the crow thing!

April 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Summermelonfarm said...

Happy tears for you here! ;)

April 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Congratulations Jenna!! Congratulations on your home and a beautiful day of coming together and all the hope and blessings in the world for your new chapter. I'm looking at that dancing fox you made and I swear he's playing livelier for you today. Best, best wishes and way to go!!

April 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Karental said...

Remember the post on November 29,2009? - and look where you (and all of us vicariously) are now. Contratulation,Jenna. Please plant a sunflower for me.

April 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie O' said...

The emotion you capture in your writing and your ability to just feel things astounds me. I love reading your blog and you have no idea how happy I am for you to finally own your own farm! Congratulations and I look forward to getting to see this farm come back to life!

April 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Melanie J. said...

My cup runneth over when I read your posts. I'm a pagan, but that phrase sticks with me when I'm filled with the spirit of something. I thank you so much for sharing your life with us; you speak to the soul of anyone who suffers from Barnheart (which I suppose makes sense since you coined the term...duh!) :) Sending you virtual hugs of congratulations!

April 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing the Jackson Farm turn into Cold Antler. We are fellow New Yorkers - Welcome! So happy for you! :D

April 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, what a great post! So many congratulations to you! It's wonderful to hear of someone who has made their dreams come true.

April 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Velma said...

congratulations! may your cup runneth over, your well be full, and your livestock fruitful.

April 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Congratulations Jenna! Hope everything you dream of for the new place comes true and I am sure it will with hard work and your determination.

One thing though is 13 kits normal? How long do you raise them? They are going to eat you out of house and home...lol. Hope Jazz is feeling better too.

April 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger DebraLee said...

Welcome home, Jenna, welcome home!!!

April 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

blessings and congratulations Jenna

i did not realize that i had been holding my breath until i read your latest post, let out a good sigh, slumped back in my chair and said "finally, you go girl...."

have fun,

kandy

April 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Beautiful post, Jenna. So, so, so happy for you.

April 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger deb said...

How wonderful for you. We haven't closed yet, but we think April 30 is our date. Can't wait. Hope your move goes smooth. Congrats!!
deb
<><

April 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM  
OpenID ditchthegrid said...

Oh Jenna! So happy for you - you deserve the most blissful farm in the world... and now you have it. Kits, goats, dogs and all. It's all yours. :)

April 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger René said...

Jenna you are magic. You tell your own story so well that some times I have to remind myself it's about a real person. Remembering that gives me hope.

I'm so happy for you girl! I wish I could be there to help you get started but I'll be hear reading about it, anyway.

April 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Rural Revival said...

All good things come to he who waits. Isn't that how it goes?

Apparently. Congrats : )

~Andrea~

April 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Congratulations on the closing and this beautiful post. Girl you paint a picture with words.

April 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Jody M said...

That was beautiful. I think we all felt like we were right there with you. When you finally saw the crows I did a fist in the air "YES!!" And I knew there was a good cry coming somewhere. Excellent, so very happy for you! My favorite post so far.

And I agree with what a previous poster said...13 kits. Very auspicious number.

April 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Jen I cried when I ready todays post. I know how you feel. (in a way) I am a single woman and bought a 3 acre farm 2.5 years ago. I just wish I had your determination and youth!

When things get settled would you by chance be interested in posting a list of the music you like to listen too? Every time you mention one I add it to my play list and love it!

Good luck moving mommy bunny. That will be your hardest move probably. I can't wait to watch your progress.

April 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

good job girl. you're finally home.

April 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Rabbit said...

A very big smile for you from me.

April 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Congratulations Jenna! New York's such a beautiful state, I know you'll be happy there!

Blessings,
Debi

April 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm lost for words! You're such an inspirations! Congratulations Jenna! Enjoy your new home, you deserve it!

April 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger spike said...

That was a breath taking blog. I'm a new fan and I am really enjoying your story. Congratulations on making your dreams come true! Very inspiring.

April 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

You did it! We knew you could and would. Hopefully everyone here lent you some helpful moral support.
Steve in PA

April 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger MistySeptember said...

Many blessings to you as you enter this new adventure! Fill yourself with this feeling of dreams coming true that it might carry you through when you need a bit of light. Wishing the best for you and all your two legged and four legged companions!

April 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
OpenID nytesong said...

Congratulations!

April 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Story said...

I'm crying right along with you jenna...you speak to me everytime....So happy for you dear!

April 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Judy Hamilton said...

You are just wonderful, and really deserve this! Thank you for sharing so eloquently!

April 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Je Pense said...

Welcome Home

April 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Congrats!! The emotions are natural. Enjoy YOUR farm. :)

April 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I am so proud of you Jenna.
There is nothing like stepping on to a piece of longed for land and being able to say 'Mine" for the first time!

April 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Congrats, Jenna, You've bitten off a huge chunk. I can so relate as I'm waiting to sell my house so I can relocate and follow my dream. All these mixed emotions. I can't wait to see a picture of Finn in his new digs.

Kirsten A.

April 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

There's an old counting rhyme..."one crow sorrow, two crows joy..."

Congratulations and many wishes for your happiness!

April 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

best ever.

April 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM  
OpenID Too Many Scarves said...

I got chills reading this, Jenna :)

Congrats. I am so happy for you.

-Stacey

April 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM  
OpenID ruralaspirations said...

I loved how you wrote about wanting to walk around your new property "like an addict". That is so exactly how I felt when we first moved here. I couldn't get enough of walking around the property, exploring every tree, every plant, every patch of ground.

This is definitely my new favorite post. It was a wonderful read! I'm so happy for you - what an inspiring story! I'll be looking forward to reading all about what you do with the place. Congratulations, once again, Jenna!!

April 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger manzanita said...

Jenna,

Congratulations!!I can't wait to read the posts about your life in your "very own home". New state. Big Move. New life. It is all very exciting!!!!!!

Sherri.

April 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Congratulations, I am so happy for you. I know you will work magic with you new home. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

April 19, 2010 at 2:39 AM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

I just realized something. I wonder if your life's wanderings were your souls hunger for this new farm?

April 19, 2010 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger crowjoy said...

Nothing beats that first walk around on YOUR farm! A million congratulations!!!

April 19, 2010 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger pedro said...

Amazing fencepost on a long journey. Congratulations!

April 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Congratulations, Jenna. You are home and all of your "friends" here wish you nothing but the best. Enjoy the move!!!! And the new bunnies!!!

April 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Wanda Barrett said...

No wonder you cried; just reading it made me cry.

April 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow you're killing me with the beautifullness of the moment. Congrats. And I can't wait to hear about this new chapter in your life:-) Oh and many thanks to Heather at "Beauty that Moves" for pointing the way to your blog:-)

April 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Wow. Thank you. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I look forward to reading as this new chapter progresses. Congratulations!

April 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Speaktrue said...

You are an inspiration!! look forward to hearing all about the Manifestations of you dreams! You made this all happen. Happy New Farm Home. Peace, Urban Gardener Tracy

April 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger cpcable said...

What a beautiful first step into an exciting new adventure! Congratulations and all of my best wishes!
-Courtney

April 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Farmhussy said...

I bet I've read this post over and over almost 20 times. I've called friends and family and read it over the phone. I've emailed the link for it to another group of friends. I can't stop reading this post. It's powerful. It's positive. It's full of Hope. I always go sit here shaking my head thinking "man, this girl can really REALLY write....." wow. And we all share in your victory!

April 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations. Your whole world perspective changes when you "own" your little piece of ground. Sounds like you made it all happen...with money to spare for a new guitar, even.

April 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Marilynne said...

I hope you are writing a book. I feel like I'm sitting by you watching you do all these things. You are a great writer and an amazing person to take on a new farm and expect it to work.

April 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

This is such beautiful writing. I can't help but notice how the time was 11:12 when it was posted. That means when you were almost done, it was the wishing time, 11:11. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It is truly inspiring to see that you've arrived at a place you dreamed about before.

April 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger dawnaclark said...

newbie here...hopped over from the happiness project post as i was intrigued by the title of your blog. i agree with one of the other posters....like a good book that's left you wanting more. i am excited to browse through the rest of your blog and "feel" the rest of your story.
congrats and thank you for sharing your life and inspiring so many of us.

April 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

happy first week of home/farm ownership!

April 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home