Sunday, March 14, 2010

tired and hoggets

Boy oh boy, do I have a lot to update you on.

In the past week I've found out I secured the mortgage for the Jackson Farm, signed up for a sheep shearing school, moved Finn into another foster home, and spent a long, wonderful, day at a farm film festival. Soon as I recoup from the weekend's non-stop pace, I'll fill you in on all of that... but tonight I am barely standing up. I got home from Williamstown around 1AM, and if it wasn't for the fine people at Subaru for making cars that handle snow so very well—I might not be writing you at all. I have never driven through such horrifying weather in New England; 70 mile per hour winds and driving sleet. It was a horror. When I got home to the farm I was so rattled from the drive (and excited about the people from the festival) I couldn't sleep. So I didn't. Insult to injury: today I loaded a calf hutch in a trailer, planted seeds in mini-greenhouses, re-homed my kid, and still managed to hit the grocery store and Laundromat. Time to sleep. I am a beat scene.

Before I do... This is happening next weekend and it is going to be awesome. I hope to be there, and if you're an up-and-coming shepherd, farmer, or into really local foods, you should check it out. It's a spring equinox festival where a lamb will be shorn, slaughtered, tanned, cooked, and then eaten! Casual lessons in basic lamb cooking and sheep stuff will be going on, as will (I hope) music, beer, and conversation with young farmers. Sponsored by the Greenhorns!

14 Comments:

Blogger Abi said...

so sorry i missed you and finn this morning. how did it go?

March 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Congratulations Jenna! So happy for you and your new Farm!!

March 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Story said...

Ha Jenna! I commented yesterday that Emma was going up to a festival in NY next weekend. Well, it turns out it's the same one you're going to! Hope you get to meet.

March 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Abi - It was quick and dirty, I had to run and meet a realtor, and it was so early. No worries, Finn is in upstate NY now.


Story - I hope to go! Unless it's wicket far away, I should be there at least a few hours.

March 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

wicked*

March 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Congratulations on securing the mortgage for your new home! What great news!

Let the packing begin!

March 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Sense of Home said...

I look forward to all your updates! Sweet dreams.

-Brenda

March 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I think it's pretty cool that this shindig next weekend is being co-sponsored by the Animal Welfare Institute.

I will be very glad and relieved when you've finished signing everything and are handed the keys. Which should be soon!

March 15, 2010 at 1:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Where is the spring equinox festival ? That sounds awesome

March 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Kati2010 said...

Hi
Keep up the creative work.
Best of Luck

Portable Garages

March 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy to hear your news, Jenna. I've been off-line all weekend performing my little harpist heart out at concerts, but I can't wait to hear more about your new farm. Update soon on everything! I love reading what you write.

p.s. I mentioned your blog in mine when I was writing about my new "Five-Dollar Goat & Chickens in the Yard" jig-slipjig set. People at my concert Saturday LOVED the music and the inspiration behind it, including you and Finn!

March 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

What a wonderful new chapter in your life...your very own farm...to do with as you please. Congratulations! I can't wait to see lots and lots of pics of everything.

I wish I could see a goat at my front door. We did have my neighbor's herd come down the mountain for a visit. I loved it. My husband, not so much.


Blessings,
Dianne

http://www.patacakebabies.com/wordpress (my farm blog)

March 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger kayxyz said...

Glad you got home safe and sound; I just saw the NE weather on the nightly news.

March 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Silent said...

Jenna's got her own farm, Jenna's got her own farm . . . (if you can't tell, we're all doing a little dance over here)

March 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home