Friday, March 26, 2010

a new rabbitry starts tonight

Tonight I'll be driving into the town of Shaftsbury to pick up the four young rabbits Bean gave birth to this winter. I'm not sure if I shared this with you guys, but when I had to get rid of my Angora rabbits this past December, they were in the throes of their own drama. Bean was carrying kits, and while away from Cold Antler, gave birth to six bunnies (four survived). Now the young ones are coming home. For the meantime (possibly indefinitely) Bean Blossom and Benjamin are staying with the folks they are currently with, but the new kids are going to help me start a brand new breeding program at the new farm. The two does will become the new den mothers for my future rabbitry, and the pair of bucks will be given to my homesteading friend Shellee (she's just getting started on raising fiber animals in her urban homestead). I'll be on the look out for a new buck as well, hopefully up at the Long Trail Rabbit show in Rutland in May. I'm happy with the fact that rabbits are back on the farm again. I've missed them.

photo by t. bronson

18 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

i want. :)
another furry critter to add to my long wishlist of farm animals!

March 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

How cute! I miss my rabbits too!

March 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Affi'enia said...

Your french angoras are what made me want fibre bunnies!!!

March 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger cpcable said...

So adorable! I'm jealous!

March 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger E said...

It must feel good to be able regather and care for all your furry charges!

March 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Cara Barker Yellott said...

Angora rabbits make life worth living. I have English Angoras and there is no word for how much I love the little buggers.

March 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Summermelonfarm said...

Awww, what a happy story! :)

March 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Woodsy Woman said...

That is such a cute picture! I love rabbits and I used to have some but I'm terribly allergic to them so they had to go. Glad I can live vicariously through your posts and pictures.

March 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger HaleDN said...

Since you used to live in Idaho, do you know where to find angoras out west? I have been looking, but don't see any fibre rabbits for sale.

March 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger RenĂ© said...

That is dangerously cute. I can't wait until I'm out of school so I have more time and space for animals. I bought a spinning wheel this year so I'm really looking forward to having my own fiber animals.

March 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Snyder's Homestead said...

I'm honored to be able to take two for you!! Madeline can hardly wait, so I know what will keep her occupied when we come up:)

March 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

I love angora fibre and angora bunnies. Sadly, I am allergic to rabbits...
Beautiful picture.

March 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Good for you! How wonderful it must feel to be bringing your family back home!

Update us on the move, the farm, the process when you can...

March 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

So glad you've got your kits for the foundation of your rabbitry. This morning, after I'd given up hope, I found my English Angora doe Alice had her kits during the night. Everytime I check they are warm so all is well. What fun!

March 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Can you post a picture of the rabbits cage/hatch (not sure what to call it)? I would like to have a couple bunnies too.

March 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger twistie said...

Great shot of you and your babes.

March 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger ************* said...

Love!

April 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Granuaile said...

Hi Jenna. I live in Vermont and am looking to purchase my first Angora. Do you have any to sell? Thanks!

September 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home