Saturday, February 13, 2010

reincarnated rice pilaf

It's morning on Cold Antler Farm. The sheep have been fed, the dogs have been walked, and the coffee's on the stove. The chickens had a feast of leftovers from last night's pub dinner in Manchester. Between myself and my parents we have enough left overs to constitute a fourth meal. I asked for one large take-out container and scooped up every bit of rice pilaf and orphaned french fry on our plates. What resulted was a disgusting combination to most - but a delight for my hens. I just can't let food go to waste like that, not anymore. Years of working to produce some of my own food have turned it into currency. So instead of leaving bits on my plate - I turned it into eggs. Chickens adore rice pilaf. I adore its reincarnation as a cheddar omelet.

One of the hens is eating eggs, a high crime at this farm. After some detective work I found the culprit. A black Jersey Giant with egg on her face (literally). I didn't give her the axe just yet. First I am trying my chicken rehabilitation trick (which usually works). I put a wire rabbit cage in the coop and separate that hen from the rest. She can't get to the eggs and therefore stops eating them. After a week of isolation, chickens usually forget about thier new culinary preferences and stop eating eggs. It's easier to go for the grain. And don't worry, the isolation is only during laying hours. She comes out every night to join her sisters on the roof. They let her nuzzle right beside them, even though she eats their children. Chickens are funny like that.

In a short while I'll be hopping in the truck to meet my parents at Wayside. We'll get coffee (I can always drink more coffee) and a donut and then head over to Jackson to see the farm. I'm excited, but nervous as all get out. I feel like I'm introducing them to my future in-laws. I'll take plenty of photos and share them later tonight. For now, fingers crossed about this and Monday's inspection.

22 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Have a safe drive and a wonderful visit with the "in-laws," Jenna. :) Cheers from my coffee cup to yours.

February 13, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger julie said...

So its not just me who scrapes up all the leftovers in Restaurants !
I find that always works with the egg pecking hen. Sometimes if the weather confines the girls to barracks we have that prob, a hung up cabbage helps too, more fun to peck at maybe ?

February 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

We do that all the time too! The waitstaff always looks at us crosswise when we scrape every last bit off the plate, including the garnish!

February 13, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Lots of luck for the inspection Janna and hjave a great day with your parents!
Janet in snowcovered Nova Scotia

February 13, 2010 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Tora said...

You go girl...have a fine time with the folks and fingers crossed and sending lots of Reiki positive energy for Monday!

February 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

We are SO excited for you Jenna! I hope it all goes well. You know, while it is important and good to get other opinions you're the only one who has to feel your heart flutter in that house. Enjoy it!

We're all rooting for you here!

February 13, 2010 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Toni aka irishlas said...

Enjoy your day with the parents. They can be nothing except proud of you and all the steps you have taken to make this happen!
Keep us in the loop!

February 13, 2010 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Have a great day, Jenna! Can't wait to hear how the trip to your future home goes! :o)

February 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

GOOD LUCK; I SURE HOPE YOU GET THROUGH THE QUALIFYING AND CLOSING PROCESS PAINLESSLY; I AM SURE YOUR PARENTS WILL BE VERY PROUD OF YOU

February 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger melinamarie said...

Can't wait to hear what they think of the place. Hoping all goes well with the inspection.

February 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger SouthFella said...

Maybe yer folks will fall in love with your " future inlaw" and co sign !!!

Enjoy the weekend with them...

February 13, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger EcoLife said...

I had the same egg eating issue with one of my girls. I put 2 golf balls in each nest it totally cured the egg eating. I think it confuses them when they can't break it open.

Sending positive thoughts for monday!!

February 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Have a great day! Can't wait to see the pics.

February 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Sherry and Russ Sutherby said...

I've heard of the golf ball idea before...if it were me, I'd leave the golf balls on the course. (I wouldn't want to sit on a couple...:)

Your layer might be looking for liquid, hence going for the egg. Hens need lots of H20. Another issue might be a deficiency in calcium. Boost your layer's calcium by purchasing crushed oyster shell (can get at the feed store). Or, do what we do, recycle your egg shells, crush, and feed back to the chickens. That should alleviate the problem.

February 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Hope you are having a great day with the parents! Hens eating eggs is a real problem. Hope you get her "rehabbed."

February 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger omnicharm said...

Good luck!

February 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

I hope your days goes well with your parents. I am sure they are very proud of you Jenna. Your a go getter that's for sure! Sending you love and best wishes...

February 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Finick said...

I have been reading your blog for about 6 months but have been away from my google reader for a few months. I spent this morning catching up chronologically from January on and was practically peeing my pants to see if you got the farm or not...still keeping my fingers crossed, and I made a teensy donation to help.

February 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Robj98168 said...

You should name that hen "DINGO"
(as in A DINGO ATE ME BABY) Sorry, obscure Meryl Streep film qo

February 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Have a great time with your folks & take pics of the farm. Hey Rob --- that quote was reincarnated on an episode of Seinfeld, too. Good name for the hen.

February 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Looking forward to your next post!

February 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Westfarm Goat Mom said...

Cayenne pepper on the eggs also helps with the eating problem.

February 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home