Friday, February 19, 2010

hutch birds

With snow on the ground again, the chickens make their daily pilgrimage to the calf hutch: a plastic giant dog house next to the coop. I use the hutch now as storage for buckets and shovels, but the chicks seem to have other ideas for its use. See, inside the hutch is some of the only snow-less dirt on the farm—an oasis for dust baths and scratching. A place for a rooster to feel soil under his feet. I had originally picked up the hutch as a goat house, but now it just sits in the snow. (It's here if anyone needs it or wants it, and has a pickup to carry it home.) I like that my birds use this place as they see fit. Logic rules the mind of laying hens. I respect them for it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Jenna, your girls are so smart! I may just add something like that outside next year on purpose for a dust bath.
Thanks for sharing!

February 19, 2010 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger Summermelonfarm said...

It looks like a secret chicken meeting to me. :)

February 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Hey Jenna - what are the dimensions on that thing? Maybe I'll take it off your hands and it will be the thing that lets me get some goats this spring. BTW - *when* you get ready to move and you need trucks and arms and backs, let me know. I've got a big truck and 2 arms.
Jordan
http://bluehillstead.blogspot.com/

February 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM  
OpenID kragore said...

hehehe - It's like the Super Secret Chicken Clubhouse - do they get secret decoder rings?

February 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Makes me feel better for following my own instincts and burrowing under the covers every night with warm cats. Ah, winter.

February 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah Lenz said...

My four backyard hens had similar thoughts. Today their pilgrimage across the snow was to the compost heap, which the scratched in gleefully.

February 19, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home